Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stopping Power: Supra vs LS caliper

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 08:22 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stopping Power: Supra vs LS caliper

Supra is a two piece calier, but from a Supra.
LS has a bigger diameter rotor IIRC and aluminum monoblock (I would love to have less unsprung mass) but a PITA to install.

Does anyone have actual first hand experience of the difference of stopping power? It's one of the things I want to do this summer and was wondering which one has better stopping power; initial stopping, fading, etc. I drive my GS mainly on the streets.
Old 04-16-08, 08:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Supra rotors are at 12.7"
LS400 rotors are at 12.4"

Go for the supra if you dont want to run RCAs. Though if you have coilovers, it might be to your advantage to have those RCAs. Other than that, The install for the Supra and LS400 setup are the same.

As far as stopping power, they're about the same within city limits. Even on highway, the LS400s have no problem stopping the car. Fade advantage goes to the supra thanks to the larger rotors and bigger pads. Plus the Supra setup has a lot more aftermarket support for pads. In the end, it's up to you if you rather have less unsprung weight, or bigger rotor/pads. Mind you i've driven one GS with the supra and two GS with the LS400s.

I myself will have the LS400 calipers because I probably wont be able to take advantage of the Supra's larger rotors/pads. Plus, I already have 4 pairs, yes 4 pairs of LS400 calipers . I started to collect them awhile ago.
Old 04-16-08, 09:11 AM
kit cat

huh, I guess I was wrong about the diameter. thanks for the input! i love your posts b/c it's based on facts.

I'd love to get RCAs since I want to keep my ride height but i want to gain back some suspension travel but i can't justify myself 300bucks for an block of metal...

I probably won't be able to take advantage of the JZA80 calipers so I'll probably get the aluminum ones to take advantage of the weight. And I'll probably shave the bolt since it seems like it's above the cotter pin.
Old 04-16-08, 09:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes, just shaving off the bolt is good enough. I've shaved it off someone else's car before and the cotter pin still fits. Just cut carefully. Measure twice, cut one

I think Exact motorsport sells RCAs for a bit under $200. But none the less, shaving off the tie-rod bolt is okay.
Old 04-16-08, 12:34 PM
kit cat

hmmm....200bucks to gain back my camber and increase suspension travel...it'll probably depend on how much the caliper+rotor+etc is going to be. Hopefully I can find them for cheap.
Old 04-16-08, 12:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

How much are you dropped right now? I say just shave off the bolt and throw those LS400s on. You can always do RCAs and an alignment later on when money permits. Even if you go with the Supra setup, you'll still be paying at least $150-200 more, and you're suspension travel and camber will still be the same.

I dont know what the going rate for the Supra setup is, but the LS400 setup will cost around $450 (without RCA).
Old 04-16-08, 01:21 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd say go with the TT calipers. Just because of pad selection. It all really depends how you drive as the previous poster has mentioned.

Personally, I've managed to fade my big brakes and according to my friend they were glowing red too lol. Honestly I think I'm the only person on this forum that can seriously say a Rotora 4pot 14" on all 4 wheels BBK isn't enough

I'm planning to upgrade to the 8 piston 15" brakes soon. 14" bbk is unsafe at these power levels
Old 04-16-08, 01:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

I'm planning to upgrade to the 8 piston 15" brakes soon. 14" bbk is unsafe at these power levels
I say skip it and go big. Start the ceramic-carbon composite trend The rotors are suppose to have a life expectancy of over 150,000 miles and the pads are suppose to last over twice of regular pads. Dooo itt
Old 04-16-08, 01:46 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was actually considering that as well. Know where to find them? The 8 pot BBK costs around $3500 already, so I don't mind paying more for the carbon brakes.

EDIT: I just checked on those carbon ceramic brakes. Seems like only place I can find it is off a wrecked 997 911 turbo porsche. Looks like that's not a viable solution since I don't want to CNC new brackets. Well, I'm too lazy to lol.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 04-16-08 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 01:55 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Supra TT brakes on my GS300 and it would stop just fine on the streets. No fade and no problems whatsoever. I also tested them out when I first installed them and the car would nose dive when I slammed on the brakes at 40mph. I was even able to get the wheels to lock up at one point on my 19" Blitz Z3's.
I have since then removed them and can feel the difference in the car, but I plan on selling my GS soon anyways.
So my vote goes to the Supra TT brakes.
Old 04-17-08, 07:50 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, if your stoptechs are not doing jack to slow you down. Let me know if you're interested in the D2 Racing BBK that I have. I say 12 pot in the front with 380mm rotors and 8 pot rears with 356mm should slow a freight train down real quick. But it does hurt your head though if you decelerate really fast....
Old 04-18-08, 06:13 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GSteg
How much are you dropped right now? I say just shave off the bolt and throw those LS400s on. You can always do RCAs and an alignment later on when money permits. Even if you go with the Supra setup, you'll still be paying at least $150-200 more, and you're suspension travel and camber will still be the same.

I dont know what the going rate for the Supra setup is, but the LS400 setup will cost around $450 (without RCA).
i'm dropped on hks hipermax all the way down. 18" wheels no finger gap (rear wheels actually under the fender but whatever). i love the look, but hate how much suspension travel I lost since it's not a full tap coilover and to think how messed up the suspension geometry is now...

jeff, you're nuts, 14" brakes...i think my old Avalon had 14" wheels lol.

Thanks for the supra caliper input guys. i wish i could get them since theyre easier to install but im leaning towards the aluminum monoblock LS ones since i just drive my GS on the streets and don't need that aggressive pads.
Old 04-18-08, 10:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

In that case, just get the LS400s and then RCAs later on. The normal rate for LS400 calipers are about $220 shipped on this forum. It's a hell of a deal to be honest!
Old 04-19-08, 02:00 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just adding to this.. i found ls430 calipers new for pretty cheap.. but i already have ls400 calipers.. anyone try ls430s? prolly wouldnt make a difference.

go ls400+ss lines and call it a day .

supra calipers cost alot of money for no reason..

trd calipers (found on TRD and TTE edition aristos and gs300/400s go for eveŽn more money.. they bolt up just like supra calipers)
Old 04-20-08, 04:30 PM
LexFather

For the record, until the over $600,000 Ferrari Enzo, the Toyota Supra Turbo had the shortest stopping distances in C&D.

Quick Reply: Stopping Power: Supra vs LS caliper