Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS coilovers installed!..and I am pisseD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-02, 07:37 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS coilovers installed!..and I am pisseD!

And it was a pain in the ****ing ***! First of all, they send me a wrong part for the back shock so now I only have the front installed. In addition, after the mechanic realize that the part is wrong, the nut that goes into the shock is one way! Since he can't put the shock on and have to take it back out, he has to cut the nut and the thread on the shock is now all messed up. Also, the instruction doesn't even tell you how to adjust the height so the height of the front is exactly the same as stock. Now my question for the few who has the PSS, do you need a tool to adjust it? Or how do you adjust it? I hope that all you needed to do is to take out the wheels and nothing else. For those who are planning to get the pss, I suggest that you make sure to look over all your parts before installing.
Old 01-12-02, 11:17 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: Bilstein PSS coilovers installed!..and I am pisseD!

Originally posted by davezaristo
In addition, after the mechanic realize that the part is wrong, the nut that goes into the shock is one way! Since he can't put the shock on and have to take it back out, he has to cut the nut and the thread on the shock is now all messed up. Also, the instruction doesn't even tell you how to adjust the height so the height of the front is exactly the same as stock.
Dave,

Sorry to hear your troubles. I'm wary sometimes of ordering parts through the internet from people who I don't know personally. Hope it works out for you.

You know, that nut being one way doesn't sound right. I can't believe Bilstein would design a one-way installation. You should contact Bilstein directly for some good answers. As you know, Rodney is a good resource also. I know you did buy from him, but he's pretty cool nevertheless. He can give youa quick answer.

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.
Old 01-13-02, 01:04 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Actually, the set came straight from bilstein so it isn't really the retailer's fault. I've heard from Seung that Rodney really liked the bilstein's performance, but from an installation perspective, it really sucked. Not only the instruction doesn't tell you how everything fits together, it doesn't even tell you how to adjust the height. I am gonna call bilstein first thing in the morning and get everything squared away. Hopefully, they will send me a new set of rear shocks with the corect parts and a more detailed instruction overnight! Probably also a good idea to ask Rodney as well since he's the only one that has it apparently.
Old 01-14-02, 08:31 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Dave,

I have seen one way screws but I don't know if I have seen any one way nuts. A one way fastener is one that the tool will grab to turn it one way, usually tighten, but then slip if you use it the other way. Which nut was one way? It doesn't make sense that any of the hardware to attach the shock was one way. Doesn't make sense that the height adjusting nut is one way either. Somebody goofed up big time here. Very interested to see what Bilstein says. Any chance of posting pictures of the hardware, even in its current state?
Old 01-16-02, 05:57 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One way nut...

never heard of one of those..

Please post pic...I actually may learn something new here.
Old 01-16-02, 11:54 PM
00gs4
Driver School Candidate

davezaristo

Guess who this is?? Starts with a S. Very sorry to hear that your hsving problems with the bilstein. Just to make sure that I get everything straight. You got your bilstein from a on-line store or from Rodney. Also given that you got it installed at MAS, is there any way that they can send it out or make the exchange for you sense they did install it. Ask Rodney and see what he can do. I am sure that he will help you out and do what he can.
Also do you have the keys that should of came with your bilstein?
If so I can help you make the adjustments more or less in the weekends. Let me know and we both can make the time soon.
Email me slgs4@yahoo.com