Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY...Lower Your ISx50

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 10:11 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know what's the downside of not torquing the bolts to factory spec? I don't have any air tools @_@
Old 02-27-12, 06:01 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InspireME
Anyone know what's the downside of not torquing the bolts to factory spec? I don't have any air tools @_@
Nothing, tighten them as much as you can; just don't go over/under board.
Old 03-06-12, 06:59 PM
Lexus350is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 19mm bolt that holds the strut to the LCA is not loosening at all, I tried more leverage, adjusting the lower arm with jack and nothing worked. Any recommendations for loosening this bolt? I'm debating just cutting it and replacing, has anyone ran into this same problem?
Old 03-10-12, 02:39 PM
kanklez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus350is
The 19mm bolt that holds the strut to the LCA is not loosening at all, I tried more leverage, adjusting the lower arm with jack and nothing worked. Any recommendations for loosening this bolt? I'm debating just cutting it and replacing, has anyone ran into this same problem?
Did u try loosening from the nut side instead of trying to turn the bolt? Do u have air tools?

I used my impact gun to loosen the bolt.
Old 03-10-12, 07:24 PM
toan414
Driver School Candidate

if its too tight, or seized, have you consider WD-40 or Kroil to help loosen the contact between the bolt and nut?
Old 03-11-12, 04:16 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray some PB Blaster on it and let it soak over night and then use a big "***" breaker bar with a pipe attached to it; if that doesn't work use a air impact gun.
Old 10-08-12, 07:42 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

R&Rd the factory shocks today with a set of nearly new factory shocks. This DIY was very handy. I also used the F Sport spring install instructions.

The bushing torque was easy using a second jack. My primary jack stayed under the jack points in the middle of the car. The jack stands were set up under the side jack points. I did not lower the car onto the jack stands completely, just took some stress off the jack. I did the front first rear last.

In front I used rhino ramps to set bushings and torque the bolts. Turning the front wheels to the L & R while on the ramps gave me room to work.

In the rear I used the second jack to bring the axle near level to remove and install the outter most bolt. Without bringing the axle near level forget removing and installing that bolt. The holes will not line up.

At 87k the only shock that wasnt leaking is driver front. The pass front had a little oil on the shaft heh heh heh and the rear shafts were heh heh wet all the way down the shock bodies.

Old 11-16-12, 04:20 AM
kennyv
Driver School Candidate

Installed F-Sport springs (revised version) on my '11 IS350 two nights ago. Only took about 6 hours with handtools and breaks. This DIY was a great help. I didn't touch the AFS arm on the left rear wheel but when I started it up I got the AFS warning. Went under the car with a flashlight and sure enough the arm was reversed. Easy 10 minute fix thanks to another thread in this forum.

Initial impressions are that it is firm without being harsh. It feels more planted and it's not a huge departure from the stock ride. I previously drove a BMW 3-series with sport suspension and run-flat tires. It is nowhere near as harsh as that was on the bumpy roads around here. I am happy with the drop and so far no noises or other problems.
Old 12-03-12, 04:11 PM
bien
Rookie

it took me 4.5 hours today to lower my is250 f sport on tiens springs, did the front first, rear last. as i took out the rear and went to compress the springs to put the top back on and into the car, the harbor frieght spring compressor tool broke on me, now i was screwed..i put the top half of the shock on the car and took the shock n springs and stuff it under the lca and jacked it up to compress it and bilt everything up, did alot better then using the spring compressor.

there was no need for spring compressor to take the stock springs out. none of them shot out or seems to be under presssure, it barely moved 1mm when i used an impact gun to shoot it like i do with my hondas.

problem is now i got that check ur headlight flashing on my dash
Old 12-03-12, 05:41 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bien
it took me 4.5 hours today to lower my is250 f sport on tiens springs, did the front first, rear last. as i took out the rear and went to compress the springs to put the top back on and into the car, the harbor frieght spring compressor tool broke on me, now i was screwed..i put the top half of the shock on the car and took the shock n springs and stuff it under the lca and jacked it up to compress it and bilt everything up, did alot better then using the spring compressor.

there was no need for spring compressor to take the stock springs out. none of them shot out or seems to be under presssure, it barely moved 1mm when i used an impact gun to shoot it like i do with my hondas.

problem is now i got that check ur headlight flashing on my dash
You gotta adjust the sensor in the rear driver side I think. It should be in the middle. Others can comment on this. I've never had a problem when installing my springs amd just did my coilovers yesterday.
Old 12-03-12, 07:47 PM
bien
Rookie

Check headlight system is what it say n flashes, no afs light. My car is. 2012 not 2007
Old 12-22-12, 02:52 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having issues, would be grateful if someone can provide some insight.

While trying to reinstall the strut in the rear, the LCA and spindle won't line up. It took lots of prying and 2-3 people to finally get it to work. Im worried that this will happen on the other side also, so just reverted everything back to stock for now (only did 1 corner anyways).

Does anyone have any tips on lining up the LCA and spindle when reinstalling? Is it because i only jacked up one side of the car? Maybe i should both both rear wheels in the air...

Thanks in advance
Old 12-26-12, 06:14 AM
tonnetje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Having issues, would be grateful if someone can provide some insight.

While trying to reinstall the strut in the rear, the LCA and spindle won't line up. It took lots of prying and 2-3 people to finally get it to work. Im worried that this will happen on the other side also, so just reverted everything back to stock for now (only did 1 corner anyways).

Does anyone have any tips on lining up the LCA and spindle when reinstalling? Is it because i only jacked up one side of the car? Maybe i should both both rear wheels in the air...

Thanks in advance
read the manual
http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR0753080.pdf

and tape everything and set markings on the tape, nothing can go wrong then
or put the springcompressor back on its easier to move some parts without pressure from the spring
i start tommorow with the eibach prokit it takes me 8hrs i think
its the first time to do this in my life,we see
Attached Thumbnails DIY...Lower Your ISx50-veren-eibach-prokit-3cm.jpg  

Last edited by tonnetje; 01-20-13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-20-13, 11:36 AM
tonnetje
Driver School Candidate

greetz
13/1/2013
its done, lowered 30mm-3cm front and rear its the european eibach prokit!
its a lot of work and you need some help sometimes from others
i did it in 10hrs very slow but i take my time for it
happy i did it by myself
never to old to learn
thanks for all the information on this forum
without this DIY tread i never started this project
the last picture is my fork for removing the liner plugs in the trunk without hassle
greetz from overseas
Attached Thumbnails DIY...Lower Your ISx50-eibach-opspannen.jpg   DIY...Lower Your ISx50-met-juiste-poelietrekker-fusekogel-peace-of-cake.jpg   DIY...Lower Your ISx50-rivet-fork.jpg  

Last edited by tonnetje; 01-20-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 02:02 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the photos in this DIY not loading for anyone else? I can't see them at all...

Quick Reply: DIY...Lower Your ISx50