Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 10:05 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers Installed...

Wow,
What a hectic week throwing my car all together!
Here is the review part of my coilover install...
Had some time after work today and decided to slap them HKS Coilovers on. Plus, how can you say no to a tech who was as anxious as I was? He had them on my car in about an hour and a half! That boy sure is fast! And all I owed him was a pack of smokes. I guess I couldn't argue!
Well, on with the pics...

This is how she sat on the Tanabe Spring/Shock combo...nice height and stance overall.

He started with the rear...out with the old....

In with the new....

Another shot of the rear from underneath

The upper mount(rear,no nuts yet) - very dusty from the bodyshop in this photo

Out with the old front stuff

In with the new ones

Another pic(those LS brakes will make way for fresh TT Calipers soon! )
Old 04-18-07, 10:07 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Continued....
Back on the ground(notice the rear gap)

Side shot - ride height didn't change much versus the old set-up

Front shot

Appearance impressions: Visually, looks good for now. I had them installed straight out of the box based on the specs HKS has set them at. The fronts had an "Initial Lower Thread Height" at 50mm and the rears were at 60mm. I have still yet to align the vehicle, which won't happen until this Sunday. I had my tech road test the vehicle and it looked pretty darn good. I want to let the initial setting and spring settle in before lowering the car. As you can tell by the pictures, there is a LOT of room to play when lowering the vehicle more.

Driving Impressions(For now): These things offer a pretty nice ride, actually exceeding my expectations. I thought, by switching over to Coilovers, it would actually ride worse than stock. I did not fool with the setting HKS has pre-set. So they went on as is.
The "Initial" setting from HKS is 20 clicks back from the stiffest setting - which is the First click back from turning the **** clockwise as far as it goes(Zero click position). These coilovers have 30 settings total, 15 stiff settings and 15 soft settings. The 30th setting is the softest. So, the more you adjust and click clockwise with the shock tool, the stiffer it gets and vice-versa.
The ride is very stock-like. Not bouncy like them Tanabe springs. They felt very controlled and tight. I may be a bit biased with this review simply because nothing beats a new set of struts/shocks. I have yet to drive the vehicle spiritedly, but I noticed that the body roll was almost eliminated completely(I take the same route home everyday - so my test grounds featured the same conditions). I would say I'm a normal driver and it felt great. The ride was forgiving and I actually felt good sitting in my seat.

The Verdict: This set-up was a vast improvement over the old stuff. My standards are usually not that high, but I can see and feel why I've spent the extra cash for these Coilovers. Even with the initial road test, I can honestly recommend these if you can afford it. Yes, I know that there are other Coilovers out there that may perform as well or better than these but I can assure you that these are the real deal. I guess I have to wait a bit for the springs to settle, adjust the height and dampening, and then have some real fun.
Old 04-18-07, 11:06 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your color is hot! sorry for being offtopic but what color is your car its really nice
Old 04-18-07, 11:10 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by balutsc300
your color is hot! sorry for being offtopic but what color is your car its really nice
silver spruce! very nice...

looks great man! Now, how about that hks hybrid air suspension combo?!?!
Old 04-18-07, 11:24 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow nice drop and lovin the color.
Old 04-19-07, 12:00 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
silver spruce! very nice...

looks great man! Now, how about that hks hybrid air suspension combo?!?!
Actually Lee,

The paint is named "Graphite Metallic" - code 182 and only available in 93 and 94 year models. Very rare color dude. Silver Spruce is a bit on the greener side. I have a buddy who works with me and his 400 is a Spruce. I'll try and get a side by side comparision. I wasn't gonna reveal any pics of my 300 until I get her new shoes, but had to for the purpose of this thread. I thought yours was the same as mine too

That hybrid air suspension is way too much for someone like me...LoL...I think I could use the money towards *cough* GTE/6spd *cough*
It is cool though
Old 04-19-07, 05:25 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice!
Old 04-21-07, 12:24 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Nice, I was thinking of getting coilovers too. I'm researching which I should get while I'm saving up the money. Where'd you get them and how much?
*off-topic*
Can you check the color code of your car? LOL, my car looks the same color but mine is Silver Spruce. However, I simply cannot see any green in the paint, no matter the light. All I ever see is silver and blue.
Old 04-21-07, 01:47 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you going to get the lower door moldings in the future? After I did the conversion it didn't really bother me. We should start a NLDM! squad for those that did the 97+ conversions. NLDM = "No Lower Door Moldings!" haha.
Old 04-21-07, 09:27 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXtaSC400
Nice, I was thinking of getting coilovers too. I'm researching which I should get while I'm saving up the money. Where'd you get them and how much?
*off-topic*
Can you check the color code of your car? LOL, my car looks the same color but mine is Silver Spruce. However, I simply cannot see any green in the paint, no matter the light. All I ever see is silver and blue.
I got the Coilovers through Kevin @ MVP Motorsports for about $1,600 altogether...fast shipping too!!

My color code is "182" or "Graphite Metallic" - available only in the 93 and 94 models. It is the original paint and is verified through the Lexus National database(I work for Lexus )

Silver Spruce is easily confused with Graphite Metallic simply because both colors are rare.
Here is Silver Spruce...

And Graphite....

Hope this helps

"Are you going to get the lower door moldings in the future? After I did the conversion it didn't really bother me. We should start a NLDM! squad for those that did the 97+ conversions. NLDM = "No Lower Door Moldings!" haha."

I have the pre 97 door mouldings, that look ok. See pic above. I originally wanted to lower door mouldings. I could live without it. You should be president of the NLDM Squad...haha
Old 04-21-07, 01:28 PM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Car looks great. I was going to repaint my car the same original color because I like it and so the engine bay would match. Now I think I should change it to that Graphite Metallic, don't think you would be able to easily tell the engine bay is a different color anyway.
Old 04-21-07, 03:00 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXtaSC400
Car looks great. I was going to repaint my car the same original color because I like it and so the engine bay would match. Now I think I should change it to that Graphite Metallic, don't think you would be able to easily tell the engine bay is a different color anyway.
The colors are similar...so it would be ok...paint code is "182"...just keep that in mind
Old 04-21-07, 09:16 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Any noises coming from those great looking HKS coils? I've heard that with that solid mount coils can be noisy and ride rough.

And, do you know how the HKS's are different than the Tein's? Or are they very similar?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-22-07, 12:08 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Any noises coming from those great looking HKS coils? I've heard that with that solid mount coils can be noisy and ride rough.

And, do you know how the HKS's are different than the Tein's? Or are they very similar?

Thanks,

Scott

Hey guys. I just put the HKS hipermax RS on my car too last week. Love them. So far the ride is quite good. The solid mounts help w/ steering response and so far havent been noisy for me. Expect a rougher ride from stock due to the "sportier" valving and harder spring rates. The softest settings are still very streetable but still noticable different from stock, when the hardest settings are also quite streetable but noticeably stiffer.

Like ive said b4 when it comes to suspension, usually you get wut u pay for. Id deff pick megan over tein anyday, but durability and longevity on megan has yet to be proven. When it comes to the HKS the hipermax rs will outlast the Hipermax 2's because the RS were designed for the american roads, as the hipermax 2's were designed for the smooth japanese roads. Therefore HKS made the seals a bit more durable.
Old 04-22-07, 03:40 AM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FTW!!! steven... ill let you knoe how the longevity is on the megans

Quick Reply: HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers Installed...