Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

For those of you with KYB shocks with aftermarket springs post your mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 07:03 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default For those of you with KYB shocks with aftermarket springs post your mileage!

I spoke with someone at KYB and asked if the GR-2s would be compatible with L-tuned springs or a 1.25" drop. They told me that is the max but they should be fine.

Then for a second opinion I called tirerack and they told me the info they have says that the GR-2s should not be used with springs that have more than a .75" drop or they will wear out very quickly. They said it actually has a warning on the screen about this.

Mixed advice....

I know some members here say the KYBs have been a good match with some springs as far as the ride goes but how many miles have you put on them?
Old 04-07-07, 08:02 PM
Nevada3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 10,000 miles on mine and I love the set up, no problems. I read a ton of posts on shocks/springs for the GS before I decided on the KYB GR-2 and L-tuned springs combo. From what I've read the KYB's have some long term qality issues (some people have had one or two leak on them), but their compression rate falls very close to the compromise I prefer between a stiff ride and a soft ride. If you never want to replace your shocks again and don't mind an even stiffer set up, go with the Bilsteins, they are definitely top quality, but at twice the cost. Also there are lots of people on CL who either have this set up now or have had it in the past, so there is no question the set up works, but whether or not it puts too much stress on the shocks and causes them to fail more often is a good question. I say just go for it and enjoy it, good luck.
Old 04-09-07, 12:22 AM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good question.

I just ordered espeilir springs and KYB struts ready to be put on. I mean..... KYB is same as L tuned shocks, so why wouldn't they be fine on L tuned springs?

but how about for those who have espeilir/daizen/tanabe springs that drops more than 1.5inch? how long did they last or are they lasting you?
Old 04-09-07, 12:46 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by suprandsc
very good question.

I just ordered espeilir springs and KYB struts ready to be put on. I mean..... KYB is same as L tuned shocks, so why wouldn't they be fine on L tuned springs?

but how about for those who have espeilir/daizen/tanabe springs that drops more than 1.5inch? how long did they last or are they lasting you?
i'm on the fence on this one also. stuck between kyb and bilstein. i've heard decent things about the kyb's on daizens/espelirs/tanabes and have read many many threads on this same topic. my friend just picked up espelirs and kyb's-lemme tell ya, the ride was reaaaally close to stock (kyb's seemed soft and it bounced more, but the springs give it a good drop). so if anyone can chime in, it'd be much appreciated!
Old 04-09-07, 10:16 AM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those of you with these set ups, chime in guys!
Old 04-09-07, 10:44 AM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my Daizens and my KYBs are on order from ebay (I wish they would hurry up!). I hope they last me.
Old 04-09-07, 11:18 AM
KRGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed Eibach Pro Kit: 1.25-1.5 drop

Stock Shocks: Lasted 3K-6K miles ...if that.

L-Tuned Shocks ($160 group buy Sewel Lexus): Lasted 12K miles

KYB GR2: Currently about 15K miles 2 are shot, lost compression.

75% Highway, 20% Suburb, 5% City

all of the above shocks really are not meant to be run with Lowered Springs. I have come to learn this. I just kept being on the Cheap side.

If you are really set on shocks...spend the extra $85.00 on the Bilsteins HD or Sports. I am being very honest. they will be gone 12K-15K miles.