Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Default Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Some of you may have seen my posts about repeatedly broken speed sensors, but just in case you haven't and the subject is relevant to you, I thought I'd put out this warning.

If you're thinking of installing the stiffer TRD sway bars, be warned, that there seems to be a design problem with them interfering with the normal routing of the cables coming from the speed sensors inside the front wheel axles. If you hit certain sudden bumps (speed bumps, unevent pavement, seams, etc.) especially at speeds around 30mph, the sway bar will hit the cable and eventually destroy it.

After 3 speed sensors being replaced, I finally heard from a couple of other owners on here (thanks Mark and pkeat!) that the solution is to have the speed sensor cables re-routed away from the sway bars.

So - if you're thinking of getting the terrific TRD sway bars, I strongly recommend you get your speed sensor cables re-routed away from them.

I'm wondering though if this problem is caused by the sways being installed to a car that has the L-Tuned suspension specifically. The reason I say that is that with the L-Tuned suspension the car is 1" lower which may make it more easy for the sways to hit the cable. The sways aren't any thicker than the stock ones I don't believe, just a smaller internal diameter (i.e., thicker steel). Plus, while I wouldn't really want to have the car be stiffer, I sometimes wonder if the L-Tuned suspension isn't stiff enough to go with the sway bars causing the suspension to bottom out because the sways don't give. I could be way off base there though.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to anyone considering the sways.
Old 11-23-01, 08:53 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx for the tips man but when you say move them "away" what do you mean is there a certain place that is good? is it mainly the front or rear? thanks man
Old 11-23-01, 09:17 PM
RacingAristo

bit,

Thanks for your info. And thank god I've not had that problem yet.
Old 11-23-01, 09:41 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 11-24-01, 03:01 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info Bit, thanks for warning us!!
Old 11-24-01, 05:38 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Good info Bit. Hmm so far is it the ONLY reason for the speed sensor problem that you know of? Do you know anyone else who has the speed sensor problem that does NOT have the sways?
Old 11-24-01, 08:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Bit - have you had yours re-routed yet? Do you happen to have any pics or diagrams you can post that I can take in when I get mine installed?
Old 11-24-01, 11:18 AM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

not to ask a dumb? but what the hell does the speed sensor cable do?= what draw will this have if the cable is affect and will the dealership fix this underwarranty if the car isn't lower down?
Old 11-24-01, 12:30 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Originally posted by bitkahuna
After 3 speed sensors being replaced, I finally heard from a couple of other owners on here (thanks Mark and pkeat!) that the solution is to have the speed sensor cables re-routed away from the sway bars.

So - if you're thinking of getting the terrific TRD sway bars, I strongly recommend you get your speed sensor cables re-routed away from them.
Bit are you saying you've been to the dealer, had the cables re-routed and solved the problem? If so, it's about friggin' time. I know this has been driving you nuts for months.
Old 11-24-01, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Originally posted by RealMarty
Bit are you saying you've been to the dealer, had the cables re-routed and solved the problem?
Yes, and *hopefully* it's fixed the problem. The dealer agreed that this was the cause of the repeatedly failing sensors, which always failed right after going over a bump at between 10 and 30 mph (probably the 'last straw' after beating up the cable previous to that bump). Each speed sensor (cable from it, not the sensor itself probably) was lasting 3-4 months.
Old 11-24-01, 04:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
thx for the tips man but when you say move them "away" what do you mean is there a certain place that is good? is it mainly the front or rear? thanks man
It's only the front. If you get under the car you'll see a fairly thin wire coming from inside the rim near the center of the axle, and it's routed along a piece of the suspension if I recall correctly, then up along a bracket on the strut, and then up out of sight. After the recent 'surgery' I can hardly see the cable at all - I don't know where they routed it.
Old 11-24-01, 04:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Thanks for your info. And thank god I've not had that problem yet.
Could be supporting my theory since you have coilovers and not the softer L-Tuned springs/shocks.
Old 11-24-01, 04:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Good info Bit. Hmm so far is it the ONLY reason for the speed sensor problem that you know of? Do you know anyone else who has the speed sensor problem that does NOT have the sways?
Yes. No.
Old 11-24-01, 04:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Bit - have you had yours re-routed yet? Do you happen to have any pics or diagrams you can post that I can take in when I get mine installed?
Yes. No - sorry - no time to do diagrams and too much of a pain to take pictures (I'd need to jack up the car).

Just tell them about the problem - they shouldn't have a problem re-routing the cables.
Old 11-24-01, 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by KNKGS400
not to ask a dumb? but what the hell does the speed sensor cable do?
The cable from the speed sensor relays the signals from the sensor to, probably, the ABS computer, and possibly VSC.

If the cable is broken or damaged the computer gets no signals from the sensor and assumes the sensor is toast, and that's when the ABS and VSC warning lights come on.

what draw will this have if the cable is affect and will the dealership fix this underwarranty if the car isn't lower down?
Maybe. My dealer installed the sway bars and replaced the speed sensors after each time the lights came on but didn't know the sways were probably affecting the sensors until I learned that on here and pointed it out to them. We didn't even talk about whether the lowering via L-Tuned affected this, that's just a theory of mine which may be bogus - that is, perhaps TRD sways with the stock suspension could still cause the same thing to happen. Anyway, THIS last time they said they'll replace the sensor under warranty but if it happens again I need to get TRD to pick it up because a Lexus dealer doesn't cover a TRD warranty. I have no problem with this - they've been very good about service.

Quick Reply: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...