Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Bent, will my car ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 08:58 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Bent, will my car ever be the same?

I had a bent rim on my car and when i came in they said that the entire front right suspension is bent and that they cannot align my car because it is bent. They quoted me at $1400 to fix the suspension. My question is, do i really need to get this work done? What would happen if i don't fix it? If i do fix it, will my car be the same?
Old 02-12-07, 09:22 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number 1, NOT fixing it would be the biggest mistake youre going to make, number 2, fixing it will bring you right back to where it was before you bent it. So if I were you, source out parts (very hard to find) and DIY, or pay your dealer.
Old 02-12-07, 10:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should consider filing an insurance claim for all the damage. I imagine the wheel and tire wasn't even part of that $1400. Even if you don't file a claim, you definitely need to fix it. Since the ISx50's only have adjustable toe on front and rear, you REALLY need to replace the bent parts or your handling and tire wear will suffer. Plus, you will still loose value on the car when you sell it if you don't fix it.
Old 02-12-07, 10:48 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

thanks for the advice guys, i have already filed a claim with my insurance, i just hope that they don't consider it as a collision so my deductible will be less.
Old 02-12-07, 04:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry to say, but they will consider it collision if the object you his was on the ground. I've filed this same claim several times in my life.
Old 02-15-07, 11:13 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

same problem..I hit a curb @ 20-25 mph, now the front right suspension needs to be replaced. They said the control arm is bent and the shocks/springs are damaged. I'm trying to find a place to buy the parts and have the dealer install it without getting insurance involved. Any suggestions? Oh and I just replaced the OEM 18" wheel w/ out the TPMS, can I use the old one? do I have to reset the TPMS? If anyone knows any online genuine Lexus parts retailers please link it.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 02-15-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 11:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist.asp?ModelID=151

I can't imagine how it would be possible for the spring to be damaged, and the shock is probably fine too unless you see oil leaking from the gasket. The TPMS sensor can be moved to the new wheel without doing anything special at all to reset the system.
Old 02-22-07, 01:34 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

update:

Got my car fixed and everything squared away with the insurance. My insurance company was great, it was covered under COMPREHENSIVE, and they even reimburshed me 500 dollars for the cost of a new rim from the dealership. The funny thing is i didn't even get the rim from the dealership nor did i spend anywhere near 500. After subtracting my deductible i actually came out with a profit.
Old 02-22-07, 01:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Did you see a list of the replaced parts?
Old 02-22-07, 05:03 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

yes, it was the lower control arm, the ball joint, and something else. I'll look at the list when i get home.
Old 03-05-07, 02:26 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

How much was it for the lower control arm and ball joint? I am going to buy the parts and install it myself.

Gernby your link only shows prices for wheels and accessories, no actual parts.
Old 03-05-07, 02:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
How much was it for the lower control arm and ball joint? I am going to buy the parts and install it myself.

Gernby your link only shows prices for wheels and accessories, no actual parts.
They don't list the nuts and bolts on their website, but they do sell them. Just send them an email to get a price.
Old 03-06-07, 08:12 PM
1022it
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mofogasm
update:

Got my car fixed and everything squared away with the insurance. My insurance company was great, it was covered under COMPREHENSIVE, and they even reimburshed me 500 dollars for the cost of a new rim from the dealership. The funny thing is i didn't even get the rim from the dealership nor did i spend anywhere near 500. After subtracting my deductible i actually came out with a profit.
haha !!! a PROFIT from an insurance company?! that is the funniest thing i have heard in a while!!!

don't worry, i am sure the insurance co. had already made 5x more than what they gave you in "profit" off just last year's insurance payments alone.
Old 03-06-07, 09:31 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1022it
haha !!! a PROFIT from an insurance company?! that is the funniest thing i have heard in a while!!!

don't worry, i am sure the insurance co. had already made 5x more than what they gave you in "profit" off just last year's insurance payments alone.
In insurance, just like any other form of gambling, the house always wins.
Old 03-06-07, 09:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Irishman06
In insurance, just like any other form of gambling, the house always wins.
It always wins over all, but there are rare cases where they lose (just like gambling). My auto insurance policies have paid out over $60K for damage I did to my cars and others when I was young, and I'm certain I haven't paid them anywhere close to that still.

That said, I'm not a believer in being over insured for the very reason you are stating. I'm just saying that there are cases where people do actually benefit from insurance (and gambling).

Quick Reply: Suspension Bent, will my car ever be the same?