Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Both front SS brake line broke at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 12:06 AM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both front SS brake line broke at the same time?

Hi everyone,

bad day for me and my 98 GS4

went down to garage to smoke and notice both front wheel has tons of brake fluid all over.

jack up the car and both front wheel wells has brake fluid all over. Now, since it is SS brake line, I can't see any holes on the brake line. actually I can't find the source of the brake fluid spreading but I am just guessing it is the brake line. What else it can be? the SS brake lines have about 40K miles on them.

Anyone experience both brake line went at the same time? and it is SS brake line. I guess I will go back to OEM brake line. after all SS brake line didn't make any difference.

BTW, she is my daily communite car, and I am pretty sure the brake line just broke today. since I was in garage all the time to smoke and never notice any brake fluid on the grand until tonight. and yes I was still driving her today. Just got her washed in the dark to make sure all the brake fluid is gone from the paint.
Old 09-26-06, 12:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If the caliper seal goes bad, it could cause the brake fluid to leak out. It usually happens only on one side though. Or in situations like yours, the SS line usually rupture on one side only. It's quite rare that both will break at the same time.

How can you say the SS lines didn't do anything? Brake feel and modulation is waaaay better....or maybe you need some bigger brakes to tell the difference
Old 09-26-06, 12:34 AM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, just don't know why both sidew have full of brake fluid all over.

Well, I do know I want BBK, but I promise my wife not spending on the GS anymore about 2 years ago. got to stop some expensive habbit. u know, that is the cost for marriage. Hard to find some girls like Rominl or RMMGS4's wife. hehehe. Yes sometime (only sometime) I do envy you guys.

Last edited by BatKing; 09-26-06 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-26-06, 06:15 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much play is left in the brake line with the suspension fully extended?

As both lines are the same length, if stretched, both would fail at the same time.
Old 09-26-06, 06:18 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If I am not mistaken, SS lines have rubber hose encapsulated in SS braid. Due to flexing action the rubber hose will get scrubed and eventually leak. Experience on bobcat hydraulics is that once one line springs a leak, very soon the others will leak too (end of life). I would reccomend replacing both, even if one springs a leak.

Salim
Old 09-26-06, 08:09 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if u ask me, its a good day b/c at least u noticed it while the car was parked and not while ur driving!!! im sorry to hear about ur misfortune, but i must say id rather read a post like this instead of a post about anything else. let us know what you find.