Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust/Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 09:22 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Dust/Brake Noise

I have searched and find all kinds of threads on brake dust and brake pads, with lots of conflicting posts. I am leaning towards the Axxis pads, because I want minimal dust and no noise. But I don't know which ones to get. For some, the Axxis pads were too dusty, for others, they were perfect, offering very little dust.

Let me say up front, I keep my wheels very clean, wiping them clean on a daily basis. Excess brake dust is what I'm getting now though...I have stock-sized, aftermarket dimpled/slotted rotors with some really aggressive metal pads that create ALL KINDS OF DUST. I love the stopping power, but now after 6-8 weeks, they squeal a bit (annoying) and the brake dust SEEMS like a lot (compared to my stock setup before). For all I know, it's not a lot of dust for an aftermarket slotted/dimpled setup though. I just don't know.

So, the question is...if I go with Axxis Pads, which ones create the least amount of dust and no noise? The Axxis Deluxe, the Axxis Ceramic, or the Axxis Metal Masters? Anybody have any experience with these? Previous post mentioned an Axxis Ultimate pad, but I don't know what the correlates to in my above list. Are the Ultimates the Metal Masters?

Again, I love my new stopping power, but I'll gladly trade some stopping power for no noise and less dust.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-06, 11:14 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes when installing new brake pads, the few little things may be skipped.

I'm attaching a brake pad lubrication guide. I hope the shim kit was reinstalled with the new pads.

When lubricated, the brake pads have less chatter, and less dust, less slow speed squeal. Also a little caliper grease on the caliper, where the pads contact it. I use the CRC brand synthetic caliper grease, myself. I've noticed Permatex brand, but haven't used it.

Was the brake fluid exchanged with the pads? New fluid makes a difference, and any trapped air (there always is a little) is removed. Thus, the pads on all four wheels are pulled back from the disk by the master cylinder correctly; rather than dragging a bit due to the air compression, creating excessive dust. This may be your problem with the new pads just installed.

Since I have the ABS pump on my 2000, I have a local Toyota dealer do my brake fluid exchange. They have the diagnostics to operate the solenoids in the pump so it may be bled throughly.

Auto zone stores nationally sell Michelin brake dust repellent. It will require wheel removal to get the whole wheel, after cleaning with wheel cleaner, spray it on, wait 15 seconds and wipe it off. Shines on chrome or painted wheels, and does improve on the dust.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
br00300.pdf (161.4 KB, 326 views)
Old 08-28-06, 08:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Thanks Tammy. I will check with my installer to verify if these issues are the culprit.

But damn, where are all my other Axxis pad owners???? Sheesh!
Old 08-29-06, 05:08 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the ultimates. Noisy and very, very dusty. I dropped down to the Metal Masters and have been much happier. A bit of noise and about 1/10 the dust of the ultimates.

See the stop tech site for a description of many different brake pads.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/hig...nce_pads.shtml

Old 08-29-06, 09:45 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Thanks, Red, I think I may just go with the Deluxe. Are the Metal Masters a fourth type of Axxis pad? I thought it was just Deluxe, Ceramic and Metallic?
Old 08-29-06, 10:22 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely go with the Deluxxe pads
Old 08-30-06, 12:50 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<From the Stoptech Site>

Ultimates
This Kevlar and Ceramic-strengthened compound offers far and away the best price to performance ratio currently available in a high performance street pad. Performing a proper bedding procedure is critical to the performance of this pad but once complete, you can expect truly world class bite, MOT, minimal rotor wear, pad wear, and noise levels. Dust is medium to high. On front engine platforms, the Ultimate is excellent for aggressive street and autocross use in the front calipers. It also works very well in the rear for applications ranging from aggressive street to moderate track use. Ultimate is NOT recommended for use on road courses in front calipers. Doing so can cause pad deposition on rotors as well as the resulting vibration. Street only. OK for club level track use in rear calipers.

Deluxe
The Deluxe Plus compound is an outstanding choice for those looking to improve performance over OE pads, but who insist on very low levels of dust and virtually no noise. The pad has a very linear torque output throughout its operating range, is very easy on rotors, and exhibits great pad life. Very low dust, low noise, low rotor wear. Street Only. Not for track use.

Metal Master
The Metal Master is a semi-metallic pad that exhibits perhaps the most balanced operating characteristics of all three Axxis pads. With performance characteristics, dust levels, and noise levels in between the other two Axxis pads, the Metal Master can be thought of as a happy compromise between the squeaky clean Deluxe Plus and the all out performance of the Ultimate. It also provides low rotor wear and good pad longevity. Street only. NOT for track use.

Last edited by redgs4; 08-30-06 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 02:44 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Thanks Lex and Red, Deluxe it is.