Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

extremely bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 03:09 PM
IS300to350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone's opinion is different but understand I already came from a IS300 with 35 series tires and 1.5 inch Eibachs and that car road nice i also have a 06 F-150 6" lift that rides better. I realize this car is the sport model but it should not be that stiff on bumps.

## Tqlla3k's question on the tires; I work for A major tire co and already changed the tires to Michelins the ride was a bit better but still harsh.

As far as the struts- the strut says Tociko right on it and the non sport does not have them. I am working with the dealership to change out the car to the standard ones.
Old 05-18-06, 03:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You should try out the Tein CS. I doubt it's available for the 2G IS yet, but I have the 2G GS. Personally I run the Tein FLEX which is stiffer than the factory setup, but I like a great handling car. On the other hand, there are a few other members who have the Tein CS setup and they say it rides nicer than stock. The GS ride is quite soft from the factory so if the CS is even softer then you might try that in your IS when it is availabe since it seems like you like the soft and cushy ride. As one guy described it to me "the car feels numb now like it got a morphine shot" lol. If thats the ride you're going for then the Tein CS may be the set for you.
Old 05-18-06, 05:04 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When I test drove the IS350, I was struck by two "non-Lexus" characteristics - zero rear seat leg room and a very stiff ride. The test car had the premium package and 18" wheels, but not the sport package. I currently drive an Infiniti G-35 coupe along with my RX400h, and was thinking about replacing the G-35. The IS350 ride is much worse than the G-35 even with sport package, and just too stiff to be comfortable as a daily driver. It is not necessary for the car to be so stiff to handle well - both the G-35 and BMW 330i handle as well or better with a much less punishing ride.

Steve
Old 05-18-06, 05:07 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

What's your tire pressure set at?
Old 05-18-06, 05:20 PM
flybret
Driver School Candidate

Bouncy could be good if you have the right kind of friends!! Although that might be a distraction and you would get in an accident.
Old 05-18-06, 05:50 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Default crazy

What are you guys talking about? It sounds like the majority of you guys have never driven a sports car before. If you think the Lexus IS 350 is a "rough ride" you have no educated premise to make that assesment. The IS 350 is butter smooth for luxry sports sedan. Almost to surreal relative to Infinity/BMW etc.. Test drive the competition then come back and post educated comments...................
Old 05-18-06, 05:53 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I would have to agree with Fityscents . . . i dont think the ride is rough at all . . . i guess nothing is compared to the mustang i am driving right now (loud as hell). Regardless i will still probably get some coilovers for it . . . mostly for aesthetic purposes though.
Old 05-18-06, 05:57 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300to350
As far as the struts- the strut says Tociko right on it and the non sport does not have them. I am working with the dealership to change out the car to the standard ones.
my non sport 250 manual has tokico sticker on the struts.
Old 05-18-06, 06:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FITYSCENTS
What are you guys talking about? It sounds like the majority of you guys have never driven a sports car before. If you think the Lexus IS 350 is a "rough ride" you have no educated premise to make that assesment. The IS 350 is butter smooth for luxry sports sedan. Almost to surreal relative to Infinity/BMW etc.. Test drive the competition then come back and post educated comments...................
I have driven (and owned) many sports cars and sport sedans and I still believe the IS350 ride is too stiff. It is not as stiff as a Honda 2000, but is is less comfortable than an outright sports car like a Boxster S or the new C6 Corvette. As I said in the previous post, I currently drive a G35 coupe with sport package and it rides better than the IS350! I'm not talking about noise, lux interior, or any of that stuff, just the ride over even small bumps like tar strips. Even at 80 on the Interstate, the ride is always "busy" which detracts from the comfort. A BMW M3 is really stiff also, but the 330i rides much better than the IS350. I even asked the salesman to check the tire pressures since it felt like they might be too high. He had them checked and they were OK.

If your idea of a sports sedan is a Subaru WRX, maybe the IS350 ride is OK, but otherwise, it is too stiff for its handling.

Steve
Old 05-18-06, 06:39 PM
igotanewis
Driver School Candidate

Default oh good i'm not the only one

I also feel that the ride is too harsh when there's little bumps. When Consumer Reports evaluated the car they described the ride as "jittery" and now I know what they mean.

The headrest hits me again and again in the back of my head and my daughter gets jostled around in the back seat as if there's turbulence.

I haven't driven other luxury cars, but I come from an Acura Integra and that ride felt much better to me, with just as good handling, and my butt was closer to the ground in that car.

I took the car into the Lexus mechanic to see what could be done, he said I should have bought an ES350. Then he told me that I should have gotten 17" tires instead of 18".
Unfortunately, you cannot get an IS250 in California without the 18" summer tires!

I wish I'd test driven this car on bumpy freeways before I bought!!!

I guess I will get use to it, I'm happy with the car otherwise.
Old 05-18-06, 08:55 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by igotanewis
I took the car into the Lexus mechanic to see what could be done, he said I should have bought an ES350. Then he told me that I should have gotten 17" tires instead of 18".
Unfortunately, you cannot get an IS250 in California without the 18" summer tires!

I guess I will get use to it, I'm happy with the car otherwise.
The mechanic hit the nail on the head. This is the fourth car I've been fortunate enough to own, and I have gone through numerous sets of wheels and tires on each vehicle. One thing I learned is that the wheel/tire combo has more to do with how the car rides than anything else, whether it's a beater civic or sport-luxo is. It's simple, the larger the rim/the thinner the sidewall the more bouncy, harsh and rough the ride becomes. I personally find the ride just fine on my is250 manual but if it bothers you, the simplest solution would be to either trade with someone for some 17's, or sell your 18's and buy some 17's, not sure what tire size comes on the stock 17's but I guarantee the sidewall is thicker than that on the 18's hence a "smoother" ride will be the result.
Old 05-18-06, 09:00 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittdawg
It's simple, the larger the rim/the thinner the sidewall the more bouncy, harsh and rough the ride becomes.
Seems like a contradition to me. How can the ride be both bouncy and harsh?
Old 05-19-06, 05:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Seems like a contradition to me. How can the ride be both bouncy and harsh?
That's what I was thinking too. Bouncy infers that the car is repeatedly "springing" up and down after hitting a bump. Like a Town Car or old Cadillac would.

vApor21, what is your tire pressure set at?
Old 05-19-06, 05:08 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i havent checked yet, but it is what the dealer had it as.. i havent changed anything.. the car is exactly how it was at the dealership
Old 05-19-06, 05:24 AM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked mine when I got home from the dealer. They were all set to 40 PSI. I could feel every crack in the road. Maybe someone could do a Poll to gauge what people think about the ride on the new IS.

Quick Reply: extremely bouncy