Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What else? Phantom noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 11:46 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What else? Phantom noise

I've had to deal with a noise from the front and rear of the car whenever driving over speedbumps or dips in the road for a couple months now. I finally decided to do something about it and replaced my struts with brand new KYB struts, my strut mounts with lightly used ones, the front LCA's with new ones, my UCA's with ones with 65k on them, and my front swaybar bushings with brand new ones for the Supra. Alas, the noise is still present! The car rides a heck of a lot better, so I'm not upset about the money spent, but the noise is still there. It doesn't occur quite as often now since the suspension is a lot stiffer, but when it does occur, it's the exact same noise. To describe it, it sounds like a rubbing or grinding type of noise, mostly audible in the front of the car, but also coming from the rear. My question is, for my wise fellow CL'ers, what else could be causing the noise, since I have already replaced most of the suspension? I'm taking the car back to my mechanic this weekend to install another part, so I'd like to have some ideas as to where to look for the culprit.

Scott