Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air in ABS system - Bleed Without Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 01:20 AM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air in ABS system - Bleed Without Dealer?

I got air into the ABS system after my SS brake line install and the brakes feel horrible. I've since bleed them 3 times with the car on, and not suprisingly, the pedal still sinks way to far down (along with a very mushy feel).

I went to Ray Catena Lexus (Westchester, NY), and they were basically clueless. I even explained to the service manager what the problem was (ABS system valves needed to be opened by their computer, then brakes bled). He gave me the 'yea yea we'll do what needs to be done' thing and they bleed the brakes normally (for $178!!!). I came back 5 minutes later and said the ABS system was not bled as requested and got a master tech to come on a ride along. He confirmed the ABS system had air in it, and apparently was able to get some air out without using the computer (saw him fooling with the master cylinder, presuming he loosened the lines on it or something). The car was slightly better, but still no where near where it should be (before the SS line install anyway).

Is it possible to bleed the ABS system without the Lexus computer? I've bleed the brakes myself ($20 of fluid), twice at a regular mechanic ($80 for both occasions) and once at Lexus ($180!!) and still have a crappy pedal feel. I'm in college and can't afford another trip to Lexus (even if I find a competent dealership in the NY area), but need my brakes back where they used to be. Emergency braking is dangerous - the pedal hits the floor and the car loses most of its stopping ablility. Anyone bleed their ABS system without the computer or am I stuck visiting Lexus again?
Old 02-24-06, 05:14 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that your first $180 bucks should cover the brake bleed. If they didn't do a thorough job, you shouldn't be stuck paying for them to do it right. I would tell the dealership that you paid for a brake bleed and expected to have the service done correctly and completely. If they're not willing to complete the job you already paid for, keep going up the ladder until you get satisfaction.
Old 02-24-06, 08:13 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that $180 has been paid. No longer your responsibility to find the competent tech to resolve your problem. Its Lexus. Ray Catena his face.
Old 02-24-06, 10:05 AM
nicola
Driver

The moron service guy told me straight off he could not warranty the work at all.
Old 02-24-06, 10:06 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I say talk to the "service guy's" boss. Did he say that b/c of the SS lines?
Did you have the key turned to the ON position when you bled?
Old 02-24-06, 04:24 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by STONER
I say talk to the "service guy's" boss. Did he say that b/c of the SS lines?
Did you have the key turned to the ON position when you bled?
I'll probably give it a shot on Monday. The key was on when I bled, but there was sort of an emergency during the bleeding process - I slipped off the bleeder screw and punched the rusty, dirty, oil covered rotor and sliced open my ring finger. It was deep and we rushed to the hospital to get it cleaned and stiched while the bleeder screw was wide open for 5 or 6 hours. The res. emptied during that time

I think he said it wasn't warrentied because he said the brakes never need to be bled. The guy was basically an idiot and didn't understand anything about the ABS system on the GS.
Old 04-26-06, 10:20 PM
duster
Driver

Default how was this resolved?

How did you get this resolved? I have the curse of the soft/low pedal as well after replacing master cylinder/pads, cutting rotors and adding ss lines.
Old 04-27-06, 03:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the SS lines install on my car by myself. I bled it again about a week after I installed the lines and the brake feel was 5x better. While the car is not moving, I mash the pedal as far as I can and it won't budge past half way. Before I rebled it, it would almost sink to the floor. I think you might try bleeding it once a week.

Do some hard braking within that week so as to let the ABS valves open up. I think brake fluid absorbs water and air but too much of that will "destroy" or make the brake fluid less effective. Just get a bottle of regular cheap brake fluid from the store to do this with. You probably go thru like half a bottle (1 quart bottle) a week. I'm not talking about a complete bleed. Just connect the tube, unscrew the plug, and pump it like 5 times per wheel. Do that for every wheel once a week. See if the situation improves after 3-4cycles.
Old 10-18-06, 09:03 PM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Im in the same boat as nicola, swaped out the lines for SS lines, bled the system out and it worked fine. Well, as I posted in another thread, one of the lines rubbed against the factory wheel and busted open. My car sat at my buddies shop for about 3 days while trying to figure out what to do about the situation. Decided to go back to stock lines and bleed the air out. After doing this for about 3 hours or so, pedal is still mushy and no results are coming about from bleeding, I think air must have gotten in the ABS system somehow. Can this air be bled out without any computers and trips to the dealer or is there a "special" way to do this by just bleeding. Someone please chime in on this, i am in a dilemma and need my car back asap. Can the ABS be bled without having to give up my arm and leg to the dealer just to have a solid brake pedal agan????
Old 10-23-06, 05:10 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

how many Quarts of fluid do you need to bleed the brakes.. cuz i bought dot5.1 motul fluid which is synthetic and want to use that.. i got 2 quarts of it.. which should be more than enough but let me know please... thank you
Old 10-27-06, 06:58 PM
JLAM
Pole Position

I recently put on SS line with new rotors and pads. I was able to bleed the brakes fine with the key ON. (dont start the car) I had my brother help me out to make sure all the bubbles were completely out before we tighten the bleeder. We pumped each corner several times and used about 1.5 quarts.