Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bottoming out w/ L-Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 02:11 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bottoming out w/ L-Tuned

Lately, I have been bottoming more and more when going over speed bumbs. What is the cheapest way to fix this problem? Should I go back to the stock suspension (which I would have to buy)? What other options are there?

I love the way my care drives, but it needs to be a little higher off the ground.
Old 10-23-05, 02:24 PM
PrlGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that you have the L-tuned Shocks and Springs and are having a hard time going over speed bumps w/o scrapping? If you are, that would definitely be strange. The L-tuned setup only drops the car like 1 inch with is nothing compared to what other people do. You should not have any trouble going over speed bumps at all. What I'm thinking is that you might have a problem with the install if you are scrapping with the L-tuned.
Old 10-23-05, 04:33 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
Lately, I have been bottoming more and more when going over speed bumbs. What is the cheapest way to fix this problem? Should I go back to the stock suspension (which I would have to buy)? What other options are there?

I love the way my care drives, but it needs to be a little higher off the ground.
Chad,

The quickest fix should be a set of Bilstein shox. It should cost you around $450 or you can find a used set for less. Of course you can go with the permenant fix by a set of coilover, i.e., Tein CS
Old 10-23-05, 04:37 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Yes, I have do have the L-Tuned shocks and springs, and I do agree that it is strange. After having these shocks and springs for over 3 years, it was not until the last couple of months that I really started bottoming out (even going as slow as possible). It's almost as though my car has slowly lowered itslelf more over the last couple of months. The only change that has been made is that I have taken off my l-tuned 18's and put my stock 16's back on my car. Is it possible that this problem could be caused by the 16's (smaller diameter? and softer tires)?
Old 10-23-05, 04:44 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by JacobT
Chad,

The quickest fix should be a set of Bilstein shox. It should cost you around $450 or you can find a used set for less. Of course you can go with the permenant fix by a set of coilover, i.e., Tein CS
I would love to buy a set of Tein's, however I am short on cash right now. I just got engaged and am in the process of planning a wedding as well as preparing to be without a job for a year so that I can complete my MBA.

Do you think the Bilsteins are the best choice? And would they actually solve the problem? This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't I have better luck getting a new set of springs to raise my car .5-1 inches?

Last edited by UTGS400; 10-23-05 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 05:21 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to buy a set of Tein's, however I am short on cash right now. I just got engaged and am in the process of planning a wedding as well as preparing to be without a job for a year so that I can complete my MBA.

Do you thing the Bilsteins are the best choice? And would they actually solve the problem? This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't I have better luck getting a new set of springs to raise my car .5-1 inches?
No bottom out is solely related to shox and it has nothing to do with springs. I had me H&R springs with stock shox and got bottom out within 1 month. The bilstein shox are life-time warranty so you'll never have to worry about bottom out again.
Old 10-23-05, 05:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

When I had my L-Tuned spring/shocks on I'd bottom out too and like UTGS400 it seems like it happened more in later years with them. Now with coilovers and my car MUCH LOWER I never bottom out. It seems like shock TRAVEL is the issue, not how low the car is.

So I'd suggest replacing your shocks and Bilsteins are an excellent choice.
Old 10-23-05, 06:01 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those shocks will fail pretty quickly when they go. They usually are ok until around 2-3 years, then POOOOOOOOF!

You need new shocks, or time to upgrade to coilovers!

Most of the aftermarket brands will last the life of the car, or close to it.

The Ltuned are still a stock-type shock with limited longevity.
Old 10-23-05, 06:08 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Any recommedations on where to buy these shocks? And is there a specific type I should look at? And how much should I expect to spend to have them installed?

Btw, thanks for all your responses!

Last edited by UTGS400; 10-23-05 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 06:26 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

We have them, the Bilstein are a good choice, also KYB work very well and are around $100 cheaper.

Bilstein will be more Mercedes-ish, the KYB will be a little softer of a ride.

Let me know if you have more questions or PM if you want to actually purchase them.
Old 10-23-05, 06:26 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Oops pushed the post button on accident!

Figure anywhere from $150-300 for labor. Anywhere in that range should be the going rate depending on who does it.
Old 10-24-05, 08:33 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

u said u put the 16's on... depending onwut tire size u had on the 18'sand wut u have on the 16's that could cause it.....
Old 10-24-05, 08:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you did the install, di you use the stock bumpstops? You should use the stock bumpstops if you did not.
Old 10-24-05, 09:50 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Get a tire or tire/rim combination with a bigger overall diameter.
Old 10-24-05, 02:33 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
When you did the install, di you use the stock bumpstops? You should use the stock bumpstops if you did not.
The dealer installed the suspension...what they used, I do not know.

Quick Reply: Bottoming out w/ L-Tuned