Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I installed TEIN CS today.....good but quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 07:58 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I installed TEIN CS today.....good but quick question.

I got to install the cs today. everything is great but I just got home and noticed something and need help. I might not have lowered the front enough because the front looks about the same as my l-tuned setup before. I was watching the install thru and the guy showed that we were putting the setup to lowest and that was about 5 threads left. He told me that he didn't want to go lower because the springs didn't feel tight if he gave more room by lowering more. Anyways, I got home and measured the distance from center of the wheel to the top of the gap and my left side is lower than my right side. To be exact, my front difference is about 1/8th of inch and my rear difference from left to right is about 3/8th inch. I looked at the thread left and it is about 5 threads left all the corners. Need help. Do fronts needs to be lower than rear? and how many threads should I have? Could it be my tires wearing different? But shouldn't the distance from my center of the wheel should be the same right?
thanks for any help.
Old 06-29-05, 09:02 PM
SiFreak
Rookie

I would wait a week before adjusting the coilover settings, the springs need to settle before you can make good adjustments. IMHO
Old 06-29-05, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

1) whether you lower the front more that's up to you. that's why you got coilover

2) the left and right side of the gs (and all lexus for that matter) are never the same height to begin with, even with stock setup. it's a totally wrong approach to count the threads as leveling. you need to look at the leveling of the car
Old 06-29-05, 10:02 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on how you want the car to look, yes the fronts will need to be lowered more. This is why many times you see springs for sale with a bigger drop in front. The GS is also uneven side to side. This is where coilovers shine over a shock/spring setup.

Also keep in mind, the car will sit different parked vs when driving since there is people weight in the car. If you drive alone often, then when it is rolling, the car will be lower on the front driver side.
Old 06-29-05, 10:07 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

It sounds like these are difficult to install and get them just right... Where should these be installed at... Definitly not you mickey mouse midas down the road...
Old 06-29-05, 10:17 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by tmf2004
It sounds like these are difficult to install and get them just right... Where should these be installed at... Definitly not you mickey mouse midas down the road...
If you are a DIY car tinkerer, you can install it yourself. Even if you are not, it is pretty straightforward to adjust them yourself. It just takes a little patience and taking the wheels on and off a few times.

Oh, and check your PM Tony.
Old 06-30-05, 12:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

installing it in one thing, but you can always adjust the coiovers yourself. that's very easy
Old 06-30-05, 07:35 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the input.
I guess I will wait about a week to let it settle and adjust the height. So far the cs are awesome. More comfortable than my previous l tuned setup with more control. I haven't tested fully yet but I am very happy for now. I need new tires since my current ones are making tons of noise. The uneven wear because of negative camber is causing more noise as it goes.
Old 06-30-05, 07:48 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on the cs and DEFINITELY let i settle before you do anything... but 1 question in reference to this:

Originally Posted by kapdori
I need new tires since my current ones are making tons of noise. The uneven wear because of negative camber is causing more noise as it goes.
where did u get uneven wear from?!?! it definitely could not have beed from the l-tuned S/S b/c those were made by lexus and the drop is not enough to cause negative camber and uneven wear. is the noise just from the cs being to low now and NOW you have negative camber??
Old 06-30-05, 10:58 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by varcity64
congrats on the cs and DEFINITELY let i settle before you do anything... but 1 question in reference to this:

where did u get uneven wear from?!?! it definitely could not have beed from the l-tuned S/S b/c those were made by lexus and the drop is not enough to cause negative camber and uneven wear. is the noise just from the cs being to low now and NOW you have negative camber??
I had tire noise before my teins. It wasn't bad at first but now its getting worse. Plus I started to notice the uneven wear before my teins. So I am thinking about getting a set of new tires. My current tire setup is toyo t1-s, 245-35 19s in front and 255-35 19s in the back. I might just not do the staggered setup and go with 245s all the corners and may be also with higher tread wear.

Do tires get more noise when starting to get uneven wear? I had nitto nt555 couple of years ago with l tuned setup and didn't have a noise issue. I know that nittos last longer so I might go that route.
Old 06-30-05, 11:29 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by kapdori
My current tire setup is toyo t1-s, 245-35 19s in front and 255-35 19s in the back. I might just not do the staggered setup and go with 245s all the corners and may be also with higher tread wear.
I'd go 245 all around too. The 10mm is not enough to justify the loss of the ability to rotate. I assume the rims are not staggered but only the tires.
Old 06-30-05, 11:42 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Some tire brands and models just get louder as they wear, it doenst have to do with uneveneness.

Also I have had uneven wear on my car since I bought it new from the dealer with the stock suspension and 17's. So I bet you can get uneven weare with Ltuned if you can get it wtih the stock setup.
Old 06-30-05, 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,160 Likes on 1,398 Posts

About the worries here expressed about coilovers CAUSING tire noise or causing more or uneven wear... I can say that my pretty slammed Tein Flex has not caused uneven wear or accelerated it. I had inside tire wear with the L-Tuned setup when (I guess) the car wasn't perfectly in alignment for a while. And about tire noise - ALL performance tires get noisier with wear. Nittos I had were noisy pretty much from new and only got worse. The Toyo T1s I had were quiet when new but howled like werewolves when worn, and now I have Dunlop SP9000s which have been the best overall but they're beginning to get a bit noisier as they get older (probably 15K now).
Old 06-30-05, 05:51 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
I'd go 245 all around too. The 10mm is not enough to justify the loss of the ability to rotate. I assume the rims are not staggered but only the tires.
Actually my wheels ARE staggered. So do you think I should maybe go with bigger tires in the rear than 255s?
Old 06-30-05, 06:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I just got my staggard rims the other day....The Front is 245 35 20 and the rear is 275 30 20. I never thought i would have rims like these especially in different sizes.... I thought of doing 19 x 8.5 all around or 20x 8.5 all around but from talking on CL it doesn't look proportional to the car... SO i went with staggard.

Tony

Quick Reply: I installed TEIN CS today.....good but quick question.