Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dealer wants $800+ for new rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 01:54 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wants $800+ for new rotors/pads

My GS is in dire need of new rotors and pads. My TRD slotted rotors are badly warped, and since they are slotted no one I have asked will resurface them. I want to get new rotors and pads, nothing crazy as I have nearly 110K miles on my car and I don't beat it needlessly.

Does this sound like a fair price? How much could I pay for comperable pads and installation to a local guy to do the same thing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-05, 02:18 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theanimala
My GS is in dire need of new rotors and pads. My TRD slotted rotors are badly warped, and since they are slotted no one I have asked will resurface them. I want to get new rotors and pads, nothing crazy as I have nearly 110K miles on my car and I don't beat it needlessly.

Does this sound like a fair price? How much could I pay for comperable pads and installation to a local guy to do the same thing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You can get 4 brembo oem replacement rotors from Tire rack for about $300. Pads run about 50 to 60 a pair.
Old 04-07-05, 02:20 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where from in Nj ??
Old 04-07-05, 02:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume this is with labor? Even with that it is high but it's the dealer. If it is only parts, then that is too much.
Old 04-10-05, 06:49 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
where from in Nj ??
I'm in central Jersey, the quote was from Difeo Lexus in Bridgewater/Bound Brook.

And yes, the price was including labor. I'm thinking of going to some local shops to see how much they charge. Anyone have a good idea on what labor should be?
Old 04-10-05, 07:44 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

was this quote for just the front brakes or all around
Old 04-10-05, 09:30 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i say, spend that $800 on a complete supra tt bbk.
Old 04-10-05, 10:50 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Thats what I'm saying.... Just go with the Supra TT kit.
Old 04-13-05, 04:53 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Dam save the money and do it your self it's not that hard at all nice way to start the DIY project
Old 04-13-05, 06:53 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSing430
i say, spend that $800 on a complete supra tt bbk.

I did mine for cheaper

Go with a TT Setup! Much cheaper and you have a little bit bigger rotor
Old 04-13-05, 10:50 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alredxiii
I did mine for cheaper

Go with a TT Setup! Much cheaper and you have a little bit bigger rotor

completely new?
Old 04-13-05, 10:51 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSing430
completely new?

Only think not new are calipers, rebulit with a warranty
Old 04-13-05, 11:05 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, thats insane. Have you looked around. I have not checked anything like this yet, but I think you need some vasaline with that rape.

I have two suggestions though. Never buy Cross drilled or slotted rotors. That is old school thinking. You are going to ruin your pads quicker, won't be able to cut them, create unessessary stress points, reduce your pad contact surface area, and pay more money for some guy with a drill press. Buy a good pad, trust me, technology has changed, the gasses that once plagued continuous stopping are now gone from the good pads. I recommend Axis Ultimates. I have autocrossed enough to tell you all the money I wasted on slotted and drilled rotors is a waste. Although it was cool to see my rotor break my rim, remove my caliper (the rough way), snap my break line twist my control arm, and pop a bunch of cv boots, when that thing broke along the holes, twisted out, and was spun around like a weed whacker.
Old 04-14-05, 08:13 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Wow, thats insane. Have you looked around. I have not checked anything like this yet, but I think you need some vasaline with that rape.

I have two suggestions though. Never buy Cross drilled or slotted rotors. That is old school thinking. You are going to ruin your pads quicker, won't be able to cut them, create unessessary stress points, reduce your pad contact surface area, and pay more money for some guy with a drill press. Buy a good pad, trust me, technology has changed, the gasses that once plagued continuous stopping are now gone from the good pads. I recommend Axis Ultimates. I have autocrossed enough to tell you all the money I wasted on slotted and drilled rotors is a waste. Although it was cool to see my rotor break my rim, remove my caliper (the rough way), snap my break line twist my control arm, and pop a bunch of cv boots, when that thing broke along the holes, twisted out, and was spun around like a weed whacker.
ewww..that sounds nasty. I'm not a fan of slotted rotors, because of the effect they have on pads and the fact that you really can't resurface them.
Old 04-14-05, 01:03 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
ewww..that sounds nasty. I'm not a fan of slotted rotors, because of the effect they have on pads and the fact that you really can't resurface them.
Bro you don't know. I actually had a tear come out. Not only was I not able to leave NJ, my ride was eefffed up, and I had to pay for a tow truck. I was just glad that I didn't hit a pole when I spun.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $800+ for new rotors/pads