Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help what is EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 04:36 PM
VIP12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help what is EDFC

I feel knid of dumb asking what is EDFC? I hear about it but I do not know what it is or what it does, and do I need when I lower my car in a few weeks?
Old 02-04-05, 04:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Electronic Damping Force Controller.

http://www.tein.com/edfc.html

It will only be relevant if you are lowering with Tein coilovers. It basically lets you adjust the damping from inside the car instead of having to turn the **** at each of the coilovers.
Old 02-04-05, 05:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's completely optional, it only makes changing the damping on the tein coilovers easier. keep in mind it doesnt' change the height
Old 02-07-05, 01:15 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine!!!
Old 02-07-05, 05:33 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's completely optional, it only makes changing the damping on the tein coilovers easier. keep in mind it doesnt' change the height
hey rom i have always wondered about this ... is it bad to adjust the dampening of the suspension while the car is in motion ???
Old 02-07-05, 07:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always believe you should explain things thoroughly. Now that we know edfc controls damping....explain exactly what damping is.
Old 02-07-05, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
hey rom i have always wondered about this ... is it bad to adjust the dampening of the suspension while the car is in motion ???
umm, as far as i know, it's not a bad thing, i don't see any harm done. if you are hitting a dip or bump hard enough, you are going to damage the shock anyway, regardless of whether you are adjusting the dampening or not?
Old 02-07-05, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by reggiek
I always believe you should explain things thoroughly. Now that we know edfc controls damping....explain exactly what damping is.
hahha great, why didn't you help

anyway, dampening, you can think of it as stiffness, and in this case it will be the stiffness of the shocks. on almost all teins (as far as i know that will work with edfc), you can have 16 "clicks" on the **** for dampening, and the difference is pretty dramatic. the stiffer it is, the faster the rebounce is and that's why it's stiff. the softer, the rebounce is slower and more gradual, giving you the comfort ride
Old 02-08-05, 03:04 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Sure why not? Quickie overview.

The coilovers consists of a spring and shock component. During driving, the two components work in conjuction to deal with the road conditions (dips, bumps, ...). For example, when the car hits a dip, the spring gets compressed. What stops it from just compressing quickly (based on its spring rate) is the shock. The shock has (among other things) a piston rod with a piston at the end of it. When compression happens, the rod moves the piston down the fluid inside the shock. The amount of resistance for the spring to compress is compression damping.

Right after this happens, the compressed spring wants to rebound the other way. Well, just as we don't want the spring to just compress as quickly as possible (and potentially slam the car into the ground), the return movement needs to be controlled too. This resistence in the shock is [i]rebound damping[i].

The adjustability of the Tein coilovers is to both compression and rebound damping. I have never opened up the shocks so I don't claim to know the design Tein used to valve the shock to change the damping values. Still, as mentioned above, the piston moves through a fluid (probably oil) in the shock body. If anyone has moved their hands through a body of water like in a pool, you know that you can control how easy it is to move by opening and closing the fingers. Same concept here. As the valving changes, the flow is easy or hard. This flow, of course, affects the damping rate.