Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Favorite suspension setup?
HKS Hipermax II
17.96%
Tein CS
37.38%
Tein FLEX
25.73%
JIC FLTA2
18.93%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

which suspension set up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 06:06 AM
nism0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a shop do the install it ran about $250, some places wanted $500 though.
Old 01-30-05, 05:23 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Fortune,

If you want hard coilovers I'd recommend the Kei-Office coilovers (bloody hard!!!)... I'd only recommend them if your car is a track-only car... on anything else you'll have to put a cushion or two under you to stop your *** breaking
Old 04-28-05, 02:59 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

if you want a good stiff suspension like some people mentioned you can get Endless (Zeal) suspension as well

they're about a couple of month wait as well and will run you @ least 2k

i dont know of anybody running zeals in this forum, however, once i come up on some ends, i'm going to go for that suspension
Old 04-28-05, 05:48 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"i dont know of anybody running zeals in this forum" I have them
They are not as many adjustment settings as the HKS Hypermax II's but they ride great...and very few have them.

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-28-05, 06:06 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hypermax II on my car but searching for replacement coilovers, looking into Hypermax D or KeiOffice. So far price quoted for hypermax D is $1950 shipped and part number for it is 80015-AT009, i am making calls around for KeiOffice ones and price is pretty much same, if you want KeiOffice ones, call Drift Factory.
Old 04-28-05, 09:22 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

I use the JIC FLT-A2's and they are great, not harsh at all.
Old 04-28-05, 10:48 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I installed the tein basics on my sc400 last week. I have 18" te37s as well.

They are great coils for the money! Don't expect a soft ride like stock though. They are stiff over bumps but I love them. They dramatically improve the handling. I love driving the car hard now. I've owned lots of modified cars so I don't find the suspension all that rough.

If you want soft and cushy leave it stock.
Old 04-28-05, 05:09 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on your budget... it money wasnt a problem, I would get the Hypermax's
Old 04-28-05, 07:13 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

I have Tein Basic coilovers on my 95 SC400. I have the car lowered 1.2" all around and I'm very happy with the ride. Nice and firm, but not harsh at all.
Old 05-01-05, 01:27 AM
markesc
Lead Lap

Time to take the plunge...

First goal is this suspension....So basiclally we all agree that the Tein Basics improve handling but sacrafice ride quality?? Last thing I need is a complaining girl in my car ya know? Are the Tien CS's worth the almost 2x the cost? or should I look elsewhere? Mine is a 1995, the stock suspension feels shot, I already feel every bump in the road it seems like.....

Any Nissan 350z Fans: www.geocities.com/sc3002004/350z

And after this photoshoot I'm feeling entirely too stock!

Last edited by markesc; 05-01-05 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-06-05, 03:09 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

JIC is the only choice. Teins shocks are not valved correct for their springs and HKS springs are to soft for the amount of weight they have to support
Am I the only one alarmed after hearing this? My eyes widened and now I'm thinking twice about buying the Tein CS w/ edfc + electronic height adjustability.
Old 05-10-05, 08:34 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dejacky
Am I the only one alarmed after hearing this? My eyes widened and now I'm thinking twice about buying the Tein CS w/ edfc + electronic height adjustability.
Call Dusty at mvpmotorsports he had most of the supra coilovers on the shock dyno. He can help anwser your questions
Old 05-11-05, 11:37 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

I have the Tein CS with the EDFC. I'd never consider a different set after having these. I had a set of Supra TT Bilsteins and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. The ride quality was awful...harsh and bouncy. These springs and shocks were not well matched. My CS are definitely matched perfectly. I can't comment on the Basics or the Flex, but to make a generalization and say that "Teins shocks are not valved correct for their springs" isn't accurate. First of all, they have a wide range of adjustability, so you're going to be able to find your sweet spot.
I don't know why anyone would want anything stiffer than the CS. At it's softest setting it's softer than stock, and at it's stiffest the car will skitter over broken pavement. Also, varying the stiffness betwen front and rear will allow you to dial in oversteer or understeer. In addition to the coilovers, I also have the Daizen sways, all of the Daizen bushings, various forms of chassis bracing, and 18x8.5"fr/18.9.5"rr rims with 245/275 tires. I find this setup to be perfect for a daily driver. There's a nice sweeping highway interchange I drive nearly everyday. This is really the only spot where you'll find me breaking the speed limit. I've had encounters with numerous performance cars from WRX's, 350Z's, E46 M3's, etc. I've outhandled each of them, and did so in comfort.
Any of these coilovers will allow you to drop the car and lower the center of gravity. A nice set of sways, and a good wheel and tire combo will complete the equation. I see no need to fit a set of way-too-stiff coilovers for a minimal increase in cornering ability.
Old 05-23-05, 07:39 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

My friend said that Tein and Zeal coilovers come with upper pillow mounts with adjustable camber plates, if we have these, do we still need the Daizen camber kits?

Edit: I've done some research and I've found that Zeal coilovers don't come w/pillow mounts for the SC, they have aluminum rigid upper mounts,so they don't have adjustable camber. However, the Supra coilovers come with adjustable pillow mounts, but their coilovers have lower spring rates, ie for the B6 model, SC spring rates are 18/12 and the Supra's are 14/10. If I were to get the Supra coilovers, would these spring rates be fine and will I be able to adjust the camber?

Last edited by indelible; 05-23-05 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 09:00 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by indelible
My friend said that Tein and Zeal coilovers come with upper pillow mounts with adjustable camber plates, if we have these, do we still need the Daizen camber kits?
The issue of pillow mounts with adjustable camber only applies to cars with a MacPherson strut suspension. Our cars use upper and lower A-arms, so adjusting the angle of the shock via the pillow mount would have no effect on camber.

Quick Reply: which suspension set up?