Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

CAR IS NOW PERFECT, except for one thing...........

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 10:04 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CAR IS NOW PERFECT, except for one thing...........

I have a 98 GS4 with Ltuned springs, Bilstein shocks and Ca-05 rims with 245-35-20 Pzeros.

I just had hubcentric rings put on, all new tires 4 wheel alignment and foce balanced all tires also.

The car is now driving like a new car again BUT it drifts at high speeds 80-130 mph and a tinny bit at 60-70.

I especially feel the drift when i pass an 18 wheeler going about 20 MPH faster then them it feels like my car gets a sudden gust of wind blowing on it and pushes me slightly to the right or left.

Anyone know of any fixes, the lexus techs say it's because of the aftermakt suspension, but that improved my handling especially at high speeds not worsened it.

Appreciate any help, thanks
Old 10-26-04, 12:47 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That feeling you get when a truck passess is normal, it is the wind pushing the car over.
Old 10-26-04, 01:02 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

it's that feeling and a little more, it's not the nonrmal amount. I could be driving all by myself on the highway and feel the car move over I look at the trees and see it's not windy outside so it's not a gust of wind moving me over it is something else.

389 RWHP? on a daily driver?
I feel the need to start saving, we're gonna have to talk
Old 10-26-04, 01:10 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not wind from the atmosphere it is wind from that big ole semi rushing past you. That is a big truck it makes its own wind gust when it passes you
Old 10-26-04, 04:31 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Originally posted by braheem
I could be driving all by myself on the highway and feel the car move over I look at the trees and see it's not windy outside so it's not a gust of wind moving me over it is something else.
Its not from a semi and when it is I'm the one rushing past them, it does it when i'm driving all by myself, it is very little but very annoying.

any ideas?
Old 10-26-04, 05:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

How's my Ocala buddy doing? Could be the new tires grabbing some and pulling it off line. Also, on the 98s there was a steering rack TSB that needs to be addressed, did you have this fixed/checked?
Old 10-26-04, 05:37 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Hey Bro, how's the masion coming along?

I'll check on the tsb. thanks

Ibrahim
Old 10-26-04, 09:42 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe try a l-tuned steering ecu? i hear it makes your sterring firm up at higher speeds.
Old 10-26-04, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, maybe the sways can help minimize that "drift" you talking about?
Old 10-27-04, 12:09 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Originally posted by corkycal
maybe try a l-tuned steering ecu? i hear it makes your sterring firm up at higher speeds.
I was going to try that, just wondering what the advantages were, my steering does not really feel loose, but if u guys think it feels sportier or is a worthwhile mod, I'll get one just for the heck of it, let me know.

Originally posted by rominl
umm, maybe the sways can help minimize that "drift" you talking about?
They should help but it's not really a drifting feeling I used the wrong word, it's more like the car quickly shifts over a few inches on the road. it's the same effect you get when you hit a few bumps on the road and find yourself almost touching the other lane. The car shifts suddenly, not a big amount but just enough to make you lose your confidence and slow down.

Last edited by braheem; 10-27-04 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I was going to try that, just wondering what the advantages were, my steering does not really feel loose, but if u guys think it feels sportier or is a worthwhile mod, I'll get one just for the heck of it, let me know.

They should help but it's not really a drifting feeling I used the wrong word, it's more like the car quickly shifts over a few inches on the road. it's the same effect you get when you hit a few bumps on the road and find yourself almost touching the other lane. The car shifts suddenly, not a big amount but just enough to make you lose your confidence and slow down.
oh that, i wonder if that has anything to do with the tires. the pzero is relatively soft tires for comfort, meaning that the sidewall is on the soft side. maye that makes the car swing left and right a tad easier? i have the pzero as well too, though i don't really have tha problem even when i am passing 18 footers at 90mph. i felt the pull, but the car keeps on going
Old 10-27-04, 05:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Hey Bro, how's the masion coming along?

I'll check on the tsb. thanks

Ibrahim
"Mansion" is coming along, slowly but surely, thanks!

Another simple thing is tire pressure! What pressure do you have the tires at? Low pressure can definitely makes wide tires pull one way or the other. For your twenties you might try 40psi cold just to see if it feels different. These days I keep mine around 36 psi cold. The other day I checked 'em after not having done so in months and they were about 28! Pumped 'em up and the car behaves MUCH better. Definitely noticeable.
Old 10-29-04, 10:09 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the numbers of the alignment? eg, the Camber degrees, toe in, etc.

Even though I read where you had the 4 wheel alignment, whose to say that it's at an ideal setting?

an improper castor, camber or toe can cause the symptom that you describe. I'd have to read up on the books again to recall which one exactly.
Old 10-30-04, 12:13 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

The alignment is not exact, one of them is perfect the other is slightly off I dont remember which one, the mechanic told me with the aftermarket suspension and 20" rims that was the mosst the settings could go, but my alignment was waaay off, now it's closer to factory specs and drifting more.

Ibrahim
Old 10-30-04, 12:21 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

would it be possible that before you had your alignment done your tires wore down a certain pattern? so now i suppose that even though you have corrected the alignment its still running on the old tread pattern that was made before the alignment job.

Quick Reply: CAR IS NOW PERFECT, except for one thing...........