Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered GS during the rain/winter season?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 01:08 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered GS during the rain/winter season?

Hey Guys,

I'm preparing to get my auto couture kit, tein cs, staggered rh 19's and edfc installed. I'm having second thoughts from installing the suspension because of the rain season coming up. Now I live in O.C., therefore the rain is not as furious as the east nor is it constant. But there are times where he could pose a problem.

Do you guys raise your car for the rain season or do you live it as is? Have you had any problems with the motor flooding because of the car being too low? Thanks

Richard
Old 10-17-04, 02:20 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lowered GS during the rain/winter season?

Originally posted by audio28
Hey Guys,

I'm preparing to get my auto couture kit, tein cs, staggered rh 19's and edfc installed. I'm having second thoughts from installing the suspension because of the rain season coming up. Now I live in O.C., therefore the rain is not as furious as the east nor is it constant. But there are times where he could pose a problem.

Do you guys raise your car for the rain season or do you live it as is? Have you had any problems with the motor flooding because of the car being too low? Thanks

Richard
how much rain do you cali guys get

i think you would need a major hurricane to flood the engine
Old 10-17-04, 03:15 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted to get a feel from everyone. I just was wondering if anyone has had any problems with a lowered gs in the rain.
Old 10-17-04, 04:26 PM
LEXO
Driver

Height shouldn't be the issue unless your slammed to floor, Its how good your rubber is. I don't have any problems when it rains and I'm running 20's (Toyo) with H&R's. Now on the other hand when it snows here. thats when height becomes an issue, but that when I drive the Explorer.
Old 10-17-04, 07:10 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I'm running one finger drop and have nver had any issues.
Old 10-17-04, 09:57 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LEXO
Height shouldn't be the issue unless your slammed to floor, Its how good your rubber is. I don't have any problems when it rains and I'm running 20's (Toyo) with H&R's. Now on the other hand when it snows here. thats when height becomes an issue, but that when I drive the Explorer.
Agreed! Height should only be an issue when it snows, as it will be with any car in the snow pretty much. The rain will only effect you if it covers your calipers and rotors, tends to slow down a lot less quickly. Still won't be a problem with 20's if it's just rain.
Old 10-17-04, 10:50 PM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

I'm also thinking about installing some H&R's on my GS4 with my stock rims (for now that is) Is the ride and the performance on the H&R's okay? and how much do they normally run? can you guys let me know!
Old 10-17-04, 10:57 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the H&R coilovers and 20" wheels year 'round, and I live in OC. It works great, the ride with the H&Rs is terrific, even as slammed as my car is. Are you thinking about the H&R springs only, or the full coilover set-up? The coilovers retail for about $1750/set, but I think they can be had for about $1300/set. The spring set is quite a bit cheaper, should be in the $350 range + installation.

You should definitely drop the GS!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-04, 03:54 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I ran just the sprinngs for several years, it was better but not drasticly so.
Old 10-18-04, 06:04 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I had my car dropped extensively during last winter and we received a whole lot of snow and I never had any problems with it.

You should be fine.

-Anthony
Old 10-18-04, 08:40 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it!
Old 10-18-04, 12:24 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

I didn't have a problem last winter(Nor Cal).
Old 10-18-04, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what does rain have to do with our lowered car again?! you don't have a cold air intake where the filter is all the way down behind the fogs, so that shouldn't cause any problem.

and for me, i have 20s, lowered A LOT, body kits, and i never touch my settings
Old 10-19-04, 11:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Not to sound disrespectul to anyone here, but whenever anyone from California talks about the winter, rain etc and the effects on their lowered GS, I cannot stop laughing....................

What are you guys talking about????? Want to see a real winter? Come on up to Ontario, Canada! I cannot drive my car in our winters. I would have to take off the TTE lip, the L-tuned sides, put on snow tires and raise the car. Now that's what I call a winter.

You guys in Cali have it too good your're spoiled rotten. Winter in Cali? Come on folks, give me a break!
Old 10-19-04, 12:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
You guys in Cali have it too good your're spoiled rotten. Winter in Cali? Come on folks, give me a break!
Winters here are tough...the bikini clad gals on in-line skates aren't as abundant as when the weather is in the 80's. They resort to wearing full coverage Spandex.

About the only concern is the first big storm when the drains may be plugged up. In these instances, 3"-8" of water can be readily found. As a whole, I wouldn't see having a lowered car as a problem during the "winter" months.

Quick Reply: Lowered GS during the rain/winter season?