Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tail Wiggle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 05:36 AM
Dipil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Wiggle!

The rear end on my 1999 GS300 wiggles at moderate to high speeds, especially while driving round bends or a twitch of the steering wheel. More like oversteer. I have had the rear and front suspension redone with all new parts. Foxed! Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance...Dipil
Old 10-15-04, 06:53 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

first Welcome to club lex

since you now opened the door ,,, the door to bankrutpcy court so here goes to answer your question

the gs is known for its loose caboose , the fix will be getting a good set of sway bars (i pref the daizens mainly for its rear adjustment) then you need the toms 6 piece link set and then you must finish off with the toms rear lower control brace and as a option (which i reccc ) a rear upper strut tower bar to complete the box set up

to fully realize the effects a staggered setup (meaning wider rims and tires ) would also be recc

now break out the plastic , email carson toyota , hit up steve ganz and tell him big ed from florida sent you so i can get my commissions

good luck and you have been warned
Old 10-15-04, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Re: Tail Wiggle!

Originally posted by Dipil
I have had the rear and front suspension redone with all new parts.
Do you mean all stock new parts?
Old 10-16-04, 12:32 AM
Dipil
Driver School Candidate

Default Re Tail wiggle

Replaced all stock parts except Tires which are in good condition.Had themchecked. Dipil
Old 10-16-04, 08:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Re: Re Tail wiggle

Replaced all stock parts except Tires which are in good condition.Had themchecked. Dipil
Can you elaborate? You replaced, shocks, springs, all bushings, ??? Must have cost a lot! Did you consider using aftermarket parts instead?

The rear end (particularly on a GS300 with the 16" tall tires) wiggles because the springs are soft, the shocks have a lot of travel, the sway bar is wimpy, and there's not much bracing back there. If you replace all that your car's rear end will be tighter than Lance Armstrong's!
Old 10-16-04, 08:06 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Tail Wiggle!

The rear end on my 1999 GS300 wiggles at moderate to high speeds, especially while driving round bends or a twitch of the steering wheel. More like oversteer. I have had the rear and front suspension redone with all new parts. Foxed! Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance...Dipil
Yeah, there's several reasons this is going on as Bitkahuna mentioned, but there are remedies available for you depending on how hard you drive and how much you want to mod your car (read: money!)
All the suspension mods-coilovers, sway bars, chassis braces of various types- all help in different ways and to varying degrees. If your car is totally stock, I don't know how much help just adding the Tom's RLCB (rear lower chassis brace) for example, would help solve your particular problem.
Most people start off with upgraded tires/wheels and shocks & springs or coilovers. Then continue with the other stuff to really button down the ride and tame that chassis flex (wiggle).
For my car, the most noticeable improvement for that problem was the installation of the rear lower chassis brace and the rear strut tower bar (RSTB). That really boxes in the rear end of the car and stiffens it against the cornering loads.
If you get a chance, ride in-or drive- one of the members here on CL that have done some of these mods and you will be amazed at the handling capability of the GS! For questions on specifics, do some searches and you'll find a LOT of good info.