Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: which one?
supra
38.46%
rotora
34.62%
neither
11.54%
stock (oem)
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Supra Vs Rotora

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 01:07 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Supra Vs Rotora

Hello

I'm looking into upgrading my brakes,rotors,pads,lines (the whole setup) so I called up Steve (actually emailed) and he gave me some prices..

Which one is better to go with? Supra rotors/calipers or Rotora ?

not really sure myself..
Old 06-07-04, 01:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to say. They are at different price points. If price does not matter, then I'd go with the Rotora. They fit better (wheel clearance-wise) and they are lighter than the TTs. That unsprung weight reduction helps. Just going from the stock to my StopTechs really reduced the sluggishness of the car. I actually noticed that even before feeling the braking difference.
Old 06-07-04, 01:38 PM
alexus
Pole Position

you probably mean 6 piston .. let's compare 4 piston.. but still rotora is more expensive then supra right?
Old 06-07-04, 02:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. I meant 4-piston. The 6-piston's price difference is much bigger plus it has wheel fitment problems too. It is not a small beast.

The 4 is still more expensive than the TTs and what I wrote earlier still applies.
Old 06-07-04, 02:59 PM
alexus
Pole Position

ok..

thanks for your input then
Old 06-07-04, 04:36 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, one of the main reasons I went with Rotora was the caliper clearance issue. I believe Rotora needed the least amount of caliper clearance (although, I still ended up getting spacers) out of all the aftermarket Big Brake Upgrade kits.

If you don't have that problem, then it becomes a moot point. Price is another issue, if you're willing to spend in the Rotora price range, then you have other options like StopTech.

I went from OEM to Rotora so I can't comment on the Supra Brake setup. I would assume that most 4-piston kits would be fairly comparable.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question. But I vote, Rotora! hehe
Old 06-07-04, 04:44 PM
alexus
Pole Position

this is still good input for me.. so any comments on this are very welcome..

so you saying StopTech better then Rotora?

I figured that Supra is just a little bit cheaper then Rotora, and if Rotora is much better i'd go for Rotora.. i'm sure its beats the hell out of OEM heh

I have a LOWENHART LD1 20" 9.5.. i dont know about spacing issues.. i really hope everything will fit nicely..
Old 06-07-04, 06:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on who you know and where you look, I have seen Supra brakes for less then half the price of Rotora or any other brand name big brake kit.

If you are asking which is better. Well it's hard to say how much shorter your stopping distance will be comparing the Rotora 4 piston to the Supra 4 piston. I would bet the difference might be a few feet max. since the rotor diameter of the Rotora is slightly bigger / better. Is that worth paying twice as much?

Like Neo said there are some handling advantages due to the lower weight of the Rotora brakes, but again, it feels a little better handling wise, but is that important to you?

The only other key factor is brake fade. Well you can purchase the same type of rotors and same brand of brake pads for the supra set up as what Rotora uses, so that evens things out. Also, brake fade improvements can only be appreciated on the race track or driving down a twisty & steep mountain road. Normal every day driving does not generate enough heat to affect brake fade significantly, maybe slightly in rush hour traffic (but that depends on your driving style).

How many of these factors are important, is up to you.

If you asked your question differently , "what is the best bang for the buck brake upgrade", the Supra is a tough choice to beat.

If you asked" what looks more badass and comes in cool colors, and has slightly better all around performance" go Rotora.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-07-04 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 06:51 AM
alexus
Pole Position

thanks for your input, i read some good points out of it i really appreciate it

btw, you said you can saw places that sells supra's for almost twice less.. where was that?
Old 06-09-04, 06:14 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I just installed supra tt calipers with powerslot prostop rotors. I feel a very noticable improvement in brake feel and more responsive. Plus the calipers just cleared my l-sport m1 by a hair. If you are looking for something other than the supra brakes, you are at least looking at $800 more.
Old 06-09-04, 06:27 AM
alexus
Pole Position

how much did you pay for your "supra big upgrade kit" ?
Old 06-09-04, 07:33 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my answer is slightly biased but what the hell...Being sponsored by Rotora has it's advantages! ROTORA all the way!!!

All I really want to say is that if price is an issue (sounds like it is?) go with Supra TT setup. However, you better make sure you have "high disk" front wheels. Those badboys are wide and heavy. If your front wheels are not high disk, you better hope your offset is enough to make them clear or you may have to shave some of the caliper which some members have done. I had a chance to compare both Rotora and Supra TT brakes and all I can say is that the Supra TT calipers almost doubled the weight of the Rotora 4 pot calipers. As for braking, they both seemed very similar except that the Supra TT setup seemed to fade over a long period of stop and go traffic. The pedal feel also got a little mushy. I would imagine they get hotter due to the extra caliper weight and of course the type of brake pad. My Rotora's feel good and the pedal feel remains nice and stiff during a long drive in stop and go traffic. Rotora's brake pads are ceramic which plays an important role. Finally, you have to ask yourself if looks are important. Rotora's calipers are better looking then the Supra TT hands down. Listen to RMMGS4........ "What factors are important to you?" Good luck!
Old 06-09-04, 07:59 PM
alexus
Pole Position

I'm pretty much made up my mind already.. however any input is very much appreciated it

does anyone know a good place where to shop for rotora ? i found better price then what steve offered me so i guess i'm going go with better price.. i'd love to go with steve though but money *is* the issue for me.. i'm trying get back on my feet after long long time being unemployed.. now that i've got married, we moved, order a lot of stuff for our appartment and so on.. i'm sure some of you went through all that already and some aren't .. heh anyway.. i'm gonig go for rotora ..

btw whoever have big brake kit do you guys have rear "big brake kit" too?
Old 06-09-04, 09:05 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice choice.You can't go wrong with the Rotora setup....
Old 06-09-04, 09:17 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

well, this suggestion might be another option for you if price is a n issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Quick Reply: Supra Vs Rotora