Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help on upgrading my suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 10:06 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on upgrading my suspension.

So I dropped the money for coilovers, tein flex to be exact, now I want to know what other bracing
I need....

Sways? What kind are the best? Will they give me worse ride? How much?

STB? What will fit over the edfc motors? Best Kind? How much?

Bracing? Tom's 6-pc? What does this do? How much and where?

Anything else I can do to make my car handle better besides BBK?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-06-04, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Help on upgrading my suspension.

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
So I dropped the money for coilovers, tein flex to be exact, now I want to know what other bracing
I need....

Sways? What kind are the best? Will they give me worse ride? How much?

STB? What will fit over the edfc motors? Best Kind? How much?

Bracing? Tom's 6-pc? What does this do? How much and where?

Anything else I can do to make my car handle better besides BBK?

Thanks in advance guys.
sways, i say eithe daizen or trd. i have the daizen coz' i think it's softer. that's me. prices from 450 to 500.

stb, if you wanna fit edfc, rmm is the only one, no idea how much, as LXOGOOD

braces and links? umm.... stiffen the suspension? carson toyota has the prices

wheels to make it better
Old 05-07-04, 10:04 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Help on upgrading my suspension.

Originally posted by rominl
sways, i say eithe daizen or trd. i have the daizen coz' i think it's softer. that's me. prices from 450 to 500.

stb, if you wanna fit edfc, rmm is the only one, no idea how much, as LXOGOOD

braces and links? umm.... stiffen the suspension? carson toyota has the prices

wheels to make it better
How much will sways degrade the ride? Will any upgraded suspension components degragate the ride? Is there anything else I can do to turn my car into a cornering beast?

So I guess it's RMM front STB, Daizen sways, and what brace kit would you recomend?
Would tom's 6-piece finish off the bracing?
Old 05-07-04, 10:51 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Help on upgrading my suspension.

How much will sways degrade the ride? Will any upgraded suspension components degragate the ride? Is there anything else I can do to turn my car into a cornering beast?
Ride quality or cornering beast? Pick one. You won't get both. Depending on what you pick, you can get a nice balance between the two but you will have to decide which way it will lean. Getting the Flex, you are already leaning towards the beast side. If you want to go all the way beast, then go with TRD Race sways. If you want almost all the way beast, go Daizen.

It really depends on your tolerances. PM Bitkahuna. I think he has Flex/TRD and he loves it. Both rominl and I have CS/Daizen and we love it. I also have all the "popular" bars/braces so it balances out the "softer" CS/Daizen setup.

Last edited by Neo; 05-07-04 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-07-04, 01:18 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

How much of a difference is there between the race sways and the daizens? What bracing should i get? Tom's 6-piece? TRD lower front brace?
Old 05-07-04, 04:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much of a difference is there between the race sways and the daizens? What bracing should i get? Tom's 6-piece? TRD lower front brace?
In terms of handling, if the TRDs are 10, then the Daizens are 9 - 9.5. It is pretty close but it may also have to do with me switching out other parts of my suspension. In terms of ride quality, though, if 10 is stock, I'd have to say the Daizens are again 9-9.5 but the TRD would be maybe 5. The TRDs will not give you a stock ride exceot may be on nicely paved straight roads.

As for the braces, the theory is that you want a complete box. If you brace up the front, then do the back. I have mixed TRD lower front and Tom's lower rear and they work just fine. I don't feel the need to swap out the front for the Tom's unless I have no other mod I can do. The GS is notorious for a jiggly rear so definitely do some kind of rear bracing. I have heard good results with either the 6-link or the rear LCB. I put on the LCB first and the difference was night and day. Other members have put on the 6-link without the LCB and it seems like it was also night and day. I put on the 6-link afterwards and did feel a slight improvement but it was not night and day. This tells me that any kind of strengthening of the rear will be a great improvement.

Although each piece that strengthens the frame and makes it more rigid will have an effect on ride quality, the biggest contributer to ride quality degredation would have to be the sways. With the intro of Daizens last year, this is no longer true. I realize there is also the TRD white bars which do not degrade the ride as much but it is also not as effective as the Blues. There are a few members who have had experience with all 3. I only have done 2 so I cannot with confidence say that the Daizens are better than the Whites. From the data that is on CL (and my experience) though, I'd have to say that the Daizens has been able to get the best of both worlds.

I am very happy with the Daizens but I will not hesitate to say that if you want the tightest, ultimate handling GS and don't care a bout comfort, then go for the TRDs. I use my car as a daily driver and I don't push it everytime so I'd rather retain most of the stock feel for a VERY slight loss in handling.

Just to give you an example of the ride quality, a few months ago, some of us NorCal guys tested my car with 18s and all the bracings/CS/Daizen against a stock on 17s. Except on a few situations where the stock was slightly better, my car felt just as good.