Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help on choosing and selecting big brake kit...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 03:31 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on choosing and selecting big brake kit...

Hey Fellow Members,

Since i have HRE's now, i wanted to go with a good brake setup. I know brakes are a big functional safety upgrade. I was wondering about your opinions on features vs price on the StopTech brakes, Brembo, AP Racing, and the Rotora, and even the Supra Upgrade Brakes. I'm leaning toward stoptech since most people on here seem to say they are more affordable then AP and Brembo but still have the same quality or just about the same quality. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-04, 04:21 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just depends on how much you want to spend. Also, depends on whether or not you want all 4 corners or just the fronts. Send me email if you want. Between the NorCal gang, you have 2 sets of APs, 1 StopTech fronts, and 1 StopTech 4 corners.
Old 04-15-04, 05:21 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote would be for the StopTechs, of course.
Old 04-15-04, 05:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

StopTechs have my thumbs up. I am biased of course.

Please contact Todd Matsubara (http://www.tmengineering.net) DoubleWhoosh for prices (I got your pm, but cannot divulge prices to you )

Todd is just awesome and you will be treated very well.
Old 04-15-04, 05:35 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I'm just wanting to upgrade the fronts. But money wise, the cheaper the better,but i was thinking between 1500 to low $2000 for a kit.
Old 04-15-04, 05:40 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

In Norcal you could go to Mike at PLP in Fremont. StopTech had a price increase since I purchased so I'm not sure what the current pricing might be now.

http://www.prolexperformance.com/pro...e/asp/home.asp
Old 04-15-04, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
In Norcal you could go to Mike at PLP in Fremont. StopTech had a price increase since I purchased so I'm not sure what the current pricing might be now.

http://www.prolexperformance.com/pro...e/asp/home.asp
I highly recommend Mike - good guy.
Old 04-15-04, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

email todd@tmengineering.net he has a lower price than PLP, i checked a while ago.

oh and get anything BUT ap racing. i wanna be exclusive

j/k, imho the rotora and stoptech are the best bargain right now i guess
Old 04-15-04, 09:11 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
email todd@tmengineering.net he has a lower price than PLP, i checked a while ago.

oh and get anything BUT ap racing. i wanna be exclusive

j/k, imho the rotora and stoptech are the best bargain right now i guess
Two people makes "exclusive"? One of the few and proud perhaps.
Old 04-16-04, 02:29 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big Brake shoot out coming soon

OK,
here's my input, speaking from the "other " exclusive AP Racing owner !

Since I had the Supra TT set up before, I was able to do a braking test with the Supra TT brakes before removing them.

Now that the AP's are installed and bedded, I will soon be doing another test with my AP's and compare the stopping distances.

I will also try to convince a certain 4 corner Stop Tech Owner to do a similar braking test on the same test grounds that I will be using. Hint, Hint . . . Cough

I am using a G-Tech Pro to measure the 60 to 0 stopping distances.

Stay tuned for the results some time in the near future.

It will be quite interesting to see how the stopping distances compare between the SupraTT brakes and other BBK brands that cost three to eight times more.

Now there are other qualities to be considered when shopping for Big Brakes, besides just stopping distances. Nevertheless, it will be good data to know, when considering your requirements versus what you are willing to pay.
Old 04-16-04, 02:59 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by gsnav
I'm just wanting to upgrade the fronts. But money wise, the cheaper the better,but i was thinking between 1500 to low $2000 for a kit.
Below your price range is the Supra TT kit. In this price range, you can easily get the Rotora and the StopTech 332 (13"). At the top of your price range is the StopTech 355 (14") kit which is what Hameed has on his car.

APs, Brembos, StopTech 4 corners, and Rotora 4-corners are out of this price range.

Best bang-for-the-buck would be the Supra TT. Looks wise, the 355s are nice since the 14" rotors will fill out your wheels. Look for pics of bitkahuna's car since he is running the 355s with 19s.

Purchase-wise, both Mike at PLP and Todd at TM will be good. They both are StopTech dealers. I went with Todd since he was going to be the installer anyway. No point in getting the kit shipped up here so that I can drive it down to Todd's (if I ordered it from PLP).

If you go with Rotora, Steve Ganz is the man. He can also get the SupraTT parts. As for recommendation, the SupraTT will give you really nice upgrade in braking power from stock. It also comes at a great price (< $1k). But the 14" rotors area also nice and StopTech is a good company. If you don't mind spending in the upper part of your price range, go 355.

Remember that we've only been talking about the fronts. If you plan to change out the rears, that's an additional cost.
Old 04-16-04, 04:38 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Default Re: Big Brake shoot out coming soon

Originally posted by RMMGS4

It will be quite interesting to see how the stopping distances compare between the SupraTT brakes and other BBK brands that cost three to eight times more.

Now there are other qualities to be considered when shopping for Big Brakes, besides just stopping distances. Nevertheless, it will be good data to know, when considering your requirements versus what you are willing to pay.

I'll be looking for your post!
Old 04-16-04, 12:56 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I will also try to convince a certain 4 corner Stop Tech Owner to do a similar braking test on the same test grounds that I will be using. Hint, Hint . . . Cough

A challenge! [cut to music from the good, the bad and the ugly - not sure who is what but the music fits]

We all know that visual impact and proper caliper color are the most important factors when performing a brake upgrade.
Old 04-16-04, 05:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Since I had the Supra TT set up before, I was able to do a braking test with the Supra TT brakes before removing them.

Now that the AP's are installed and bedded, I will soon be doing another test with my AP's and compare the stopping distances.

I am using a G-Tech Pro to measure the 60 to 0 stopping distances.

The results may need to be taken with a large grain of salt because differences in rims and tires will make a BIG difference. Even the weight of the drivers and whether you've got a stereo upgrade or other heavy mods, etc.
Old 04-16-04, 06:14 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Big Brake shoot out coming soon

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The results may need to be taken with a large grain of salt because differences in rims and tires will make a BIG difference. Even the weight of the drivers and whether you've got a stereo upgrade or other heavy mods, etc.
Fully agree. Which just leaves which set of brakes look better.

Quick Reply: Need help on choosing and selecting big brake kit...