Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help!! Flex install issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 07:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Help!! Flex install issue

I had the Flex put on my car yesterday. My brother-in-law (he has his own auto repair shop and focuses only on Mercedes automobiles) put it on and he has never installed a coilover suspension before.

Anyway, here is the weird part.
On the rears, we made sure that the distance between the 3rd (bottom ring) and the 2nd and 1st ring (top ring) was the same on both sides of the car. Of course we just made sure before we put the Flex on the car that the bottom ring was tight.

Anyway, even though the distance between the bottom ring and 2nd and 1st (of course I am referring to the fact that the 2nd and 1st are tight against each other), the distance from the top ring to the top of the suspension is NOT the same on both coilovers. On the right side it is a quarter inch longer, which then means that the spring is looser on the right and consequently the car is lower on the right (rear of course).

How the heck should I fix this problem? If I make the distance between the top of the flex and the 1st ring to be the same on both sides, then the distance between the 2nd and bottom ring on the left suspension will now be different from the right suspension……………….

I think what has happened is that somehow the bottom ring on one of the coilovers was adjusted before we even touched it and that would account for the difference in the heights mentioned above, but I am not sure how to resolve this issue now.