Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Got a quote for some mod installs today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 06:44 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a quote for some mod installs today...

I thought I'd post to see it sounds reasonable. I don't have any experience with these mods and my area (Central Illinois) isn't exactly a tuner/speedshop haven. Here's what's being installed:

Set of tein flex coilovers and edfc controller. Controller to be mounted on the side of the center console, driver's side, just in front of edge of seat and low enough to mount through the carpet, not the side of the center console plastic.

Rotors, pads, and ss lines front and rear. All oem fitment, although aftermarket parts.

chrome tips welded in place of nasty ugly tips on my current 98 oem exhaust.

$750 total

My guess is this is high, but keep in mind that the shop is a reputable place that is an area favorite for porsche tuning and the local solo I and solo II racers for installs, fabrications, etc. Not to mention it's the ONLY place in my area that has decent experience modding.

So, is this waaaay too much?
How many hours of labor would you figure for the above?
Should I just drive a couple of hours to Chicago where I have more choice, etc. and have the work done on a day off while there?
Old 04-06-04, 08:06 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

That seems way high. A local shop in houston texas quoted me 250 for install of tein and edfc, and new tips would probably cost you 100 bucks at an exhaust shop, and then the rotors and pads and ss lines shouldnt really be that hard, i really dont know how hard ss lines are to install though. It shoudl come out to around 500 or so, probably less
Old 04-06-04, 09:33 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that is high. If your willing to pay that amount, then it would be worth it from a reputable shop.

I would just get the suspension installed there and get everything done else where. The tips can be handled at any muffler shop. A shop in ca would probably do it for $40.

If you have the tools and your kinda knowledgeable about cars, I would install the brakes yourself. There are diys here, and member's that will help you install them.
Old 04-07-04, 08:00 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Those prices are really high. Keep one thing in mind though, if you drive 2hrs for installs, you will have to drive that same 2hrs for any service work on those parts. I got my coils installed about and hr from my house, and any adjustments equal a half day off work!

I dont have SS lines but I paid the following for my installs

Xdrilled/slotted rotors/pads- 120.00 (i did them at different times 80 for the rotors 40 for the pads)
Coilover install - 150.00 - at a Tein authorized dealer
EDFC install - 120.00 - " " "
Exhaust install - 75.00 (i think)

Total 465.00
Old 04-07-04, 08:48 AM
roguenode
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. Audio, I think I will have this place do the c/o's and edfc since adjustments would be local and they are a good shop that I trust. I'll look into what's involved to do the pads/rotors myself, then shop around on the ss lines and fluid change. I'll find some local muffler place for the tips.

Thanks guys. I was willing to pay a bit more for the good shop, but hundreds more is just more mod money being wasted!
Old 04-08-04, 10:04 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, in my sweatshop country, I get to install a set of coilovers and big brake kit for about $50.
Old 04-08-04, 10:15 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Yikes, in my sweatshop country, I get to install a set of coilovers and big brake kit for about $50.
Nice of you to contribute to the status of your country The cost of living must be insanely low where you live.
Old 04-08-04, 10:20 AM
roguenode
Pole Position

Thumbs up

I don't know where your at, but I'll assume that it's terribly expensive to get parts shipped to you and that offsets the low install price. Might not be true, but it makes me feel better. :-)

FWIW, a friend who used to be a mechanic offered to do my brake job, includuing ss lines for free! That's more money saved to go towards rims for me.