Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Loud sharp popping/cracking noise when first going in reverse and hitting the brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 09:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Loud sharp popping/cracking noise when first going in reverse and hitting the brake

I have a 99 GS400 with 53,500 miles currently, and the full Tom's bracing setup (F&R lower chassis braces, F&R strut tower braces, & 6-pc rear suspension bracing kit.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

It, as far as I can remember, only happens when I first put it into reverse. It happens in any situation... whether the car is warm or cold, whether the temperature is warm or cold.... doesn't matter. I can go from park to reverse and start backing up, or I can go from drive to reverse and start backing up - and of course when I go from one gear to the other, I have the brakes on. But once it's in reverse, I let off the brakes and start going backward slowly... however, as soon as I barely tap the brakes, I hear a very audible popping noise (loud enough that a couple of other people who care nothing about cars mentioned it). It almost sounds like a small rock hitting the underside of my car.

I guess it's not so much that I can't stand the noise, as much as it is I don't want it to be indicating something that needs to be fixed and not realize it.
Old 04-04-04, 07:07 PM
bscottj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

It might be the sound of the brake pads hitting the stop on the caliper after changing direction and sliding a little bit. Are you using stock pads and calipers? I think Lexus has a solution for this if you report this issue. I think the solution involves greasing the areas so the pad slides more easily (and quietly) when changing direction and applying the brakes. I thought there was a TSB on this, but not sure. Anyone?
Old 04-04-04, 08:52 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same sound on my 100% stock 98 LS400, changed the brake pads and it was gone.
Old 04-04-04, 11:34 PM
ligflava
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threxx: I've had the same problem in my GS. In fact, i have the warranty note right in front of me. "Cause: Excessive clearance in brakes. Correction: Removed FT and RR brakes and calipers. Removed fitting kit and lube w/ brake glue. Part # Lex 08887-80609"

All fixed and that was about 3k miles ago. hasn't returned yet...knock on wood.