Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The definitive Weight Reduction list..........

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 08:35 PM
phisig
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone triend removing the sound deadening material on the floorboards under the carpet? Bet you could shed some pounds quick that way.
Old 03-17-05, 03:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 224 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by phisig
Has anyone triend removing the sound deadening material on the floorboards under the carpet? Bet you could shed some pounds quick that way.
Well if you want to have a noisy car, then go right ahead, you will indeed save some weight.

I would never do that though in the interests of saving weight. One of the criteria's for a luxury car (which is what a GS is), is the quietness of the cabin. In fact, I intend to add more sound deadening to mine because I don't think it is quiet enough.

I will one day replace the hood with a CF one and probably the trunk lid as well. But that's it as far as realistic weight reduction goes.

If you want a really light car, you bought the wrong car. That is my conclusion after having owned my GS for over 2 years now. I can live with it's weight of approximately 3700 lbs because I value the luxury aspect of it more than the weight aspect.
Old 04-01-05, 02:55 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

I've looked at weight reduction.

Round the Knockhill racing circuit, with a passenger (about 80Kilos), my lap time suffers by 1s.

I leave the spare in the trunk as it maintains perfect weight distribution, without the spare, the car can start to get tail-happy.

I think the Lex GS is good weight at 1680Kilo - that is way lighter than other cars such as BMW M5 at 1800's and the 2-tonne Mercs.

You will find Skyline weighs in around 1580 kilo as does the M3 convertible.

I think if you could shave 300Kilo from the GS you would notice a difference - maybe go for full carbon fibre panels, lighter brakes and lighter wheels. The only real advantage would be seen on twisty roads or race track.

I saw a Silvia which had been lightened, it was stripped of 600Kilos. Mods included changing the glass for perspex. Now that's weight saving!
Old 04-20-05, 12:20 AM
KevinLe
Driver

Default odyssey battery peps dont forget

hey guyss, if u wanna cut some weight, please thinking about replace ur stock batt with odyssey 680 battery, its around 15bls.
Old 04-20-05, 02:28 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Hameed,

A Metal Matrix driveshaft will save you many pounds....Looking at about $500 USD....Several members on the Lincoln club I was part of had them. I also handled a MM driveshaft from a Camaro Z28, and it weighed a mere 12lbs....

Last edited by RRocket; 04-20-05 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 04:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my windscreen resevoir out and put it up with the Christmas stuff,wasn't using it; that washer fluid can't be too good for the wax/paint anyways, and if the windshield is dirty, chances are you just forgot to wash the whole car.

That's a few pounds off the front end anyways.

I was able to adjust my tire pressure a little bit to compensate for the removal of the spare, jack, and it feels better now that I'm used to the way it handles.
Old 04-21-05, 10:37 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hameed
I know this topic has been beaten to death on this forum judging by the posts that come on a search for the two words "Weight Reduction". However I want to establish a definitive list for reducing the weight of a GS400 for two main reasons:
  1. improving the handling of the car as well
  2. simply trying to make the car less heavy
My goal for this weight reduction is anywhere from 100 to 300 lbs. Yes that may seem unrealistic, but I will definitely give it my best. Before you tell me to sell the car and buy a lighter one (or ask why I bought such a heavy car in the first place - I just plain love a GS400), please keep in mind that I do NOT intend to sell my car and , so that is not an option as far as I am concerned.

I also want to say that my motives for weight reduction have absolutely nothing to do with trying to reduce 0 - 60 times (although reducing the weight will definitely have some impact on that), so please don't tell me I have a GS400 (albeit with enough horsepower), so why am I concerned about weight. I simply want to reduce the porkliness of a GS400 and thus improve the handling - that's it!

I have all the usual handling mods on my car, so it is not just about putting on stb's, stiffer sways, stiffer shocks, lcb's etc to improve the handling. I have that covered already.

Here's a list that I have come up with.
  1. Lighter rims/tires. Currently I have the stock 17 inch chrome rims with some terrible Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons 235/45/17 all around. Going to HRE 19's 547R with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-DR 245/35 19 x 9 front and 285/30 - 19 x 10 rear next year perhaps. Approximately how much weight will that save?
  2. Bigger brake kit such as the STOPTECH 14inch rotor and 6 pot calipers. How much weight will that save?
  3. Removing the spare tire from the trunk
  4. Swapping out the front seats with some good quality light weight racing seats such as Sparco's. Don't know how much weight that will reduce. I am sure the cost would be high too.
  5. Not considering ceramic rotors as those are prohibitively espensive, assuming they are even available for a GS400
Any other suggestions guys?
1)Sounds crazy but always had back seats in mind. Something practical being a 4 door- allowing them/each to snap in snap out(safe) plus some space like in a porsche retrofitted underneath ....?

2)Small things like the wing affect speed......CF hood.......
3) why is ferrrai engines in the rear:copy?
4)- bmw 50-50 weight distribution: " "?
5)Is it all together that the car is heavy- or worthwhile impact /well worth the time removing the item which weighs the most(engine? .....)

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 04-21-05 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 08:41 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm curious: I have access to a NICE machine shop and some solid aluminum stock. Could I fabricate a driveshaft for my GS400 relatively easily?
Old 09-27-08, 08:44 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Maybe a dumb question, but I'm curious: I have access to a NICE machine shop and some solid aluminum stock. Could I fabricate a driveshaft for my GS400 relatively easily?
Driveshafts are not solid they are a tube. It would also need to be balanced after welding the ends on. Not to be insensitive, but if you have to ask the answer is no.