Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

4th Annual Taming the Dragon Lexus Meet, May27 - 29(pg 4 back home!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 05:28 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Just chiming in with the rest of the hurrays...thanks Dave for organizing everything . We made it okay as well. I put up a post on SELOC. Anyway, really enjoyed myself and meeting everyone was real cool. I will most definitely be there next time with a little something added if all goes well. Thanks again Dave. Great pics!!!
Old 05-30-05, 05:57 PM
IS3ratus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man...i wish i was there...missed a great event...again...
my folks visited this weekend and since i only get to see them once a year, had to miss another taming the dragon...
Old 05-30-05, 06:23 PM
tC VVT-i
Driver School Candidate

Well the tC and I had fun. I've learn what my car can handle. She seems to handle pretty good just being pretty much stock. But she needs more work, hopefully she'll be ready for next year. It was great to meet every1 and put a face with the car.
Old 05-30-05, 08:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by tC VVT-i
Well the tC and I had fun. I've learn what my car can handle. She seems to handle pretty good just being pretty much stock. But she needs more work, hopefully she'll be ready for next year. It was great to meet every1 and put a face with the car.
Very glad you were able to join us! Looking for that TRD SC on your Scion for next year

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks everybody for coming out! Despite having my GS get flatbedded back 3/4 of the way there, I still had a great time.

Please start thinking about what we can improve for next year and let me know. Some ideas that Scott, Krista and I talked about today were:
  • Better food, even if we have to drive 30 minutes somewhere out of Robbinsville for it
  • Consider the 7am Dragon run a 'best practice' and also do it on Saturday morning before breakfast
  • Potentially cater in breakfast with our Sat AM raffle and safety talk (would require a deposit)
  • Do the longer route on Saturday and more time on the Skyway.
  • Introductions - neglected to go around the room and make sure everybody knew who was who!
  • Set date way in advance for next year, but that also puts us back at the mercy of HIN and other events that pull away participants

I'll try to do some short video clips next weekend and post 'em up. Pictures are about 1/2 done (mine are up and I'm getting started on Paul's)

My Pics http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/DragonsTailMay2005
Paul's Pics so far http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/PaulsPics

Proof my GS was on its way to the Dragon :P

Acid anyone?

Again, thanks everybody for making this a bigger and better meet each year.
Old 05-31-05, 07:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 241 Likes on 135 Posts

Why did your car have to get flatbedded back 3/4 of the way Dave? SC acting up? Sorry to hear about that. Your car looks so menacing and amazing in those pics above!!

It looks like you guys had a blast as usual! I wish I could have come. Oh well.

What exhaust is on this GS?
Old 05-31-05, 08:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

No, it's something electrical. The battery is getting overheated / overcharged. Likely the voltage regulator, alternator or a bad ground somewhere.
Old 05-31-05, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
What exhaust is on this GS?
That's a Carson Toyota exhaust. Owner on here is LEXISM from Atlanta. Real nice guy. His GS300 also has the nice aftermarket headers on it too. He plans to go turbo for next year.

About the trip, Hameed - I got to ride along through the Dragon with Dave and Krista's friend Jeff in his 996 GT3 (he had the 911 C4S when you and I were there last time) and it is amazing, exciting and frightening all at once. Brakes, handling and acceleration are way up there. I asked Scott what the car sounded like from behind when he was following us and he said when on throttle, it's like 50 chain saws running.

VVT-i (Nuum) kindly let me drive his new GS430 which handles MUCH better than the stock 2nd gen GS with less body roll and less float. There are tons of nice details inside and out of the car with the lighting, rear sun shade, rear camera, and much more. The car is very quiet when cruising but the exhaust when on throttle has more character/sound than the stock 2GS but it's not as loud as the L-Tuned or maybe it is from outside, but not inside the car.

Somewhere between the insanity of the GT3 and the refinement of the GS430 is Krista's '03 996 . I rode with her through the Dragon and drove it some too. It's just fabulous. Excellent steering, handling, responsiveness, sounds, and surprisingly comfortable ride with useful space in the 'front trunk' and behind the front seats. It's just an awesome car. Must... have... one... some... day...

The thing I've come to appreciate so much about the Porsches is their steering. It's EASY to steer through the dragon with a 911 compared to a GS for example - MUCH less turns of the wheel, plus no front end push at all plus the handling is so great, the car just 'plants' flat in the turns in perfect balance.

I'm home now of course and went out in my GS briefly yesterday and immediately noticed the difference in steering. My car handles and goes well, but the steering is lacking feel and requires too many turns to turn the car.

The trip overall was incredible. Great cars, great people, great organization and hospitality by Dave and Krista as always, great scenery, great weather after a brief shower on Saturday morningI was gonna say great food, but, nah. Actually the Dillsboro restaurant on the way there was pretty good!

A chance to take some great photographs too. Here's the beast...
Attached Thumbnails 4th Annual Taming the Dragon Lexus Meet, May27 - 29(pg 4 back home!)-img_3192-3.jpg  
Old 05-31-05, 10:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 241 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey Paul, great to read your comments regarding the trip and the Porsches!!!

Yes, one day we must have a Porsche!

That pic you posted up of the GT3 is just excellent! Got some like that bigger in resolution? I have to add them to my screen saver collection of Porsches!
Old 05-31-05, 11:18 AM
jiggafett
Rookie

Hi Guys,

I'm really bummed I couldn't make it up this year. Due to "Operational Needs" my vacationed was denied about 2 weeks before the trip up.

I plan on getting up there next year for sure.

BTW, Joaquin (jruhi) was in an accident on the way home from The Dragon...he's OK but the story (so far) is here.... http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=254500

Till next time...take care!!!
Old 05-31-05, 11:43 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

I'm really sorry to hear that, but I'm really glad to hear that he is okay. Man I feel kind of bad. We were going to leave together and he was going to break off when we got to Atlanta, but we had an appointment to go horseback.riding at 1:30 that prevented us from leaving together . Well I'm glad he's doing okay and wasn't hurt. Tell him I said he's very blessed. A car we can repair or even replace, but he's a once of a kind.
Old 06-01-05, 11:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Killboy.com pictures are up. Jeff [WillyIS?] made the front page.
Old 06-01-05, 01:45 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexizm
I'm really sorry to hear that, but I'm really glad to hear that he is okay. Man I feel kind of bad. We were going to leave together and he was going to break off when we got to Atlanta, but we had an appointment to go horseback.riding at 1:30 that prevented us from leaving together . Well I'm glad he's doing okay and wasn't hurt.
Please, Erick, no guilt trips!
After the final Cherohala drive with the Ohio crew, we each went our own way (they north, and I south) on the 2-lane Route 68, which would eventually lead to the awesome route Georgia 60. As I later found out, however, that road tends to be slick, and the light drizzle that was falling after days if not weeks of dry weather made matters even worse. I passed a couple of cars in a clear. open passing zone. I kept sliding to the right, hit Lord-knows-what and rolled over a couple of times. Thankfully, the car landed right-side-up. I unfastened my seat belt and walked out, with nary a fracture or drop of blood spilled.

I spent Sunday & Monday nights at the local hospital, took a taxi to Atlanta on Tuesday and flew into Miami just in time to celebrate my son's 20th birthday and to commisserate the Miami Heat's loss to the Detroit Pistons.

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Tell him I said he's very blessed. A car we can repair or even replace, but he's a once of a kind.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-05, 01:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

So glad to see you back and posting
Old 06-01-05, 01:53 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
So glad to see you back and posting
Thanks! Sorry I couldn't post earlier, but I had to catch up on work before I could catch up on e-mails.
Old 06-01-05, 04:02 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Well we're all glad to see that you're doing okay.

Quick Reply: 4th Annual Taming the Dragon Lexus Meet, May27 - 29(pg 4 back home!)