Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

"not permitted to post comments" on Pic Gallery???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 09:22 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's look at the supraforums.com example. Most of the actual (Supra owners and) knowledgeable people left due to too many flamers and non-supra owners that make the community a nightmare. If for example a few people keep on flaming me publically, I will leave this forum. Simple as that.

In order to improve clublexus.com, Ethan had to make room by cutting all the extra features. I am a paid member and I agree that I do not want to see any flames on my car made public.

Chris
Old 09-17-02, 10:12 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Easy there everyone.

1) This is the site suggestion area. Nothing wrong with making suggestions here, correct?

2) I believe mr. who is simply doing a little good natured ribbing at Ethan for not agreeing with him. Read his post again -- he is not saying that Ethan sucks at the internet -- he's saying that if anyone can't find info through a search, then THAT person sucks at the internet. Maybe the use of the pronoun "you" is causing some confusion. Also, the daycare comment is made in good nature -- witness the j/k and the .

Remember guys, what are we talking about? Flaming? Why we don't allow it, right? So then DON'T FLAME in response.

Anyone (including me) who does make a suggestion here implicitly cares enough about this site to do so.

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-17-02 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 10:12 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a private forum and if people dont like it they can take a hike.

Like Globe said earlier if you need some information on someones ride in the gallery then you can PM or E-mail that person, that is a simple task to do.

This in no way directed towards anybody, but if some people are disliking this forum so much and feel like it is too strict, nobody is forcing anybody to come back here. It is simple, if anybody has a problem and cannot stand the way this forum operated, then they can get the F-out.

Just want to add a little umph by sayin that This is my opinion on things. Have a nice day everyone

Last edited by LOTC; 09-17-02 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 10:47 PM
V8 Killer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Let's look at the supraforums.com example. Most of the actual (Supra owners and) knowledgeable people left due to too many flamers and non-supra owners that make the community a nightmare.

While there are definitely too many people on there with nothing important to say, I wouldn't say "most" Supra owners left the site. For the most part the only members we have lost are the ones we never wanted. The only Supra owners that aren't on there are the ones that always started flame wars. For the very, very few actual Supra owners we lost that benefited the community, that bothers me. And that's why over the last 2 months there has been a complete change of Mods & Admins and things are shaping up slowly.

In regards to the comments made towards Ethan, a couple of other CL members have already said what I was going to.

Regards,

Dusty
Old 09-17-02, 11:11 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by V8 Killer

While there are definitely too many people on there with nothing important to say, I wouldn't say "most" Supra owners left the site. For the most part the only members we have lost are the ones we never wanted. The only Supra owners that aren't on there are the ones that always started flame wars. For the very, very few actual Supra owners we lost that benefited the community, that bothers me. And that's why over the last 2 months there has been a complete change of Mods & Admins and things are shaping up slowly.

In regards to the comments made towards Ethan, a couple of other CL members have already said what I was going to.

Regards,

Dusty
Hey Dusty,

It's true currently supraforums.com has improved since you had taken over the site from Warren. I should have mentioned that my example followed the older days of supraforums.com. I agree, things changed and the site is getting better and better. When I said supraforums.com lost lots of actual Supra owners, I meant that lots of them stoped viewing the site, started posting in different sections, or stopped being regulars. The ones you're refaring to are prabably the ones that went out with a bang (or ban). True! I have been a memeber of that site since the begining and thanks to the site I had learned and meet lots of people.

Chris

PS. It's well after 9 PM. These FedEx packages can't be taking so much time.
Old 09-18-02, 12:15 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of this new attitude is part of growing pains. CL's member numbers have grown quite a bit over the last year. There are members who have been on civilized online forums and there are members who have not. Using Ethan's numbers above, the .2% that has problems with policy issues will grow as more and more people come to CL. The percentage may not grow, but the absolute number will (obviously). As there are more in this .2%, more complaints will surface. I am not sure what can be done about this. Since this is a pretty informative site, more and more people will continue to flock here.

I have been a member of other "well-mannered" forums in the early stages. As the numbers grew, the same thing happened as is happening here. It makes more work for moderators to weed out the "problem children" but more members is also a validation that CL is a good resource for Lexus owners everywhere.

In all these situations, it all boils down to the people who thinks the internet and online communities are free-for-alls. They either do not understand or refuse to accept the concept of a privately owned community. This means that the owner can do what ever s/he pleases within the confines of the community (without breaking any laws). Luckily for us, Ethan is a firm but reasonable individual. He has big plans for CL and will not let the .2% anomalies stand in his way. Good for him. I've met him and know that he only has CL's best interest at heart.

So if you disagree with Ethan on this issue, give him reasons to change his mind. Indirectly attacking him and other CL populations will not do it. Even if you give him valid (in your mind) reasons and he still refuses to change his mind, so be it. CL is still his site to run. If this bothers you, then you can speak your mind by not supporting Ethan and leave CL. There may be other sites out there that fits your needs.

This is just my .02 cents and none of the "you" in my statements are directed at any particular individual. Peace.

Last edited by Neo; 09-18-02 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 12:42 AM
LexFather

Every basket will have a few bad apples.

Old 09-18-02, 01:23 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Every basket will have a few bad apples.
I would say sour apples instead of bad apples. We already HAND-PICKED out the bad apples

There are members on ClubLexus who are young and loves to have fun also. There are also older members who likes to enjoy their online community. The difference between having fun and enjoying seeing flaming wars is obvious. If a person does not understand that, please leave (asking politely this time)

I say we should end the discussion here. Gallery comments stays off, if you have a question then PM the post maker. Enough "diz iz some tite azz ryde" comments that serves not too much purpose. If anyone is not satisfied with the rules, feel free to start his/her own online community where he/she gets to make the rules which he/she thinks is appropriate

If you want to post, then adhere to the rules.

thread still open.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 09-18-02 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 01:27 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

I would say sour apples instead of bad apples. We already HAND-PICKED out the bad apples

I say we should end the discussion here. Gallery comments stays off, if you have a question then PM the post maker. Enough "diz iz some tite azz ryde" comments that serves not too much purpose. If anyone is not satisfied with the rules, feel free to start his/her own online community where he/she gets to make the rules which he/she thinks is appropriate

thread still open.
Yep, agreed, someone lock this thread, all the words (perhaps too many) were said.
Old 09-18-02, 01:38 AM
Static911

We will keep the thread open to hear more opinions on this matter.

Ethan
Old 09-18-02, 03:45 AM
LexFather

THough I do like to speak freely, dirty laundry should be kept to PM. There are discussions and there is a time and place for PM.

Would we really miss the comments? Not me, I don't visit the gallery often. Maybe we can post star count but not comments. If we have a question, we can PM the person.

Old 09-18-02, 04:46 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

wow, im shellshocked. first of all, i never attacked ANYONE personally, and especially Ethan. i asked a simple, and harmless question....and all of a sudden all the minions are coming after me.

i could go on and on with you hypocritical ****** (excluding Ethan!) but its not worth it. proving myself to a bunch of (as ethan put it) elitist snobs? fu*ck that. people like you arent a part of my life away from the internet...so here is no different.

i've said it, and a bunch of others in this thread have said it too. this site is a great resource and thats what i use it for. just because i think its run way too tightly doesnt take away from the fact that there are alot of people here who are very willing to help and are very knowledgeable.

so say im a 16 yo spoiled brat...no sense of business.. i have no room to talk. i couldnt care less. i'll continue to speak my mind when i feel necessary...but unlike a few of you 2 faced a-holes, i wont be attacking anyone personally....except for a little harmless retaliation, all in fun.
Old 09-18-02, 05:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mr who
wow, im shellshocked. first of all, i never attacked ANYONE personally
i could go on and on with you hypocritical ****** (excluding Ethan!) but its not worth it. proving myself to a bunch of (as ethan put it) elitist snobs? fu*ck that. people like you arent a part of my life away from the internet...so here is no different.
wow that makes perfect sense. RIIIIIIIIIGHT you're not attacking anyone.

i've said it, and a bunch of others in this thread have said it too. this site is a great resource and thats what i use it for. just because i think its run way too tightly doesnt take away from the fact that there are alot of people here who are very willing to help and are very knowledgeable.
so feel free to take all the info you want but badmouth people who don't agree with you. Great idea of sharing.

so say im a 16 yo spoiled brat...no sense of business.. i have no room to talk. i couldnt care less. i'll continue to speak my mind when i feel necessary...but unlike a few of you 2 faced a-holes, i wont be attacking anyone personally....except for a little harmless retaliation, all in fun.
please do continue to speak your mind when you feel necessary. There is always freedom of speech, under the rules, that is. Afterall, this IS a privately-operated website, and you HAVE seen what happened to people who are unwilling to cooperate.

To further express your wonderful thoughts freely on the world wide web, please refer to www.yahoo.com and type in ANYTHING you feel important enough to say or look up.

so who are you calling 2-faced a-holes? please explain.
Old 09-18-02, 05:19 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

like i said in my post...i didnt attack anyone, thats just a little retaliation (the derogatory slang). and i did not bad mouth anyone who disagreed with me. it seemed a few who disagreed with me started the badmouthing and attacks. thanks for letting me explain myself again... i guess the 1st time wasnt enough.
Old 09-18-02, 10:19 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B.....b...........b.......ba.....

SR