Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

CARFAX Reports

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default CARFAX Reports

The following topics and links are prohibited on Club Lexus:

• Carfax requests on any records of a particular VIN. The Carfax service is inexpensive insurance and Club Lexus does not allow theft of their service on our forum.

Is this a new addition to the CL rules?

The reason I ask is that I don't remember seeing it before. I bring the issue up because a few days ago, someone posted a request for a CARFAX report on a particular VIN, if one existed. When I went to hunt it up for him as a courtesy (off of CL, on the regular Internet), I noticed that there were several different types of reports, at different prices. So, I was in the middle of trying to get back to the poster, on CL, and ask him what kind of report he wanted, so I could link the site and let him run it himself. I had NO intention of running it myself, but merely providing him the means for it (which he probably could have gotten for himself to start with). I then noticed that the whole thread, not just the post, was gone......apparantly, Dave or one of the mods had removed it.

I was not aware that this was a banned subject on CL, (for whatever reasons), or of any formal CL connection to CARFAX. I wasn't deliberately trying to break any rules.

Club Lexus does not allow theft of their service on our forum
"Theft" meaning how? Is this something that CL normally charges for? I was not aware of that. If so, I can understand why the mods removed the post.

But, in the future, I will just leave the whole subject alone, as far as CL is conerned, and ignore any more "requests" from posters on the subject..

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 08:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it's from back when you could get unlimited carfax reports for a month for like $20, so people in the market would buy it, buy a car, then have XX days left, so would run VINs for whoever asked. this rule was to combat that freeloading as perceived by the management since it was in their eyes a theft of services from Carfax.

i don't support nor discredit this, just as i remember it.
Old 05-05-09, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
it's from back when you could get unlimited carfax reports for a month for like $20, so people in the market would buy it, buy a car, then have XX days left, so would run VINs for whoever asked. this rule was to combat that freeloading as perceived by the management since it was in their eyes a theft of services from Carfax.

i don't support nor discredit this, just as i remember it.
OK, Thanks. That seems to explain it.
Old 05-06-09, 06:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

No, it's been there since the beginning of Club Lexus. The issue is not just "in our eyes" but a violation of the members' carfax agreement and we won't put our forum at risk to be the enabling agent of the theft of service:

"CARFAX CUSTOMER AGREEMENT: I agree to pay a one-time charge of $24.99 (USD), plus applicable sales tax, according to my card issuer agreement. This 30 day Unlimited CARFAX Reports Plan is valid for 30 days from the date the first report is run, and is intended for my personal use only. Commercial use, resale and redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited and may lead to deactivation of my account and the imposition of additional charges for CARFAX Reports. I agree that my CARFAX Report purchase shall be governed by all the Terms and Conditions of use of the CARFAX Web Site.
If you're in the used car market, go buy an account for yourself. It is a very small price to pay when you're looking at dumping thousands of dollars on a car anyway AND you get some level of protection with their buyback guarantee you don't get if you steal the service.