Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

My replica lip has a crack and I don't know who to blame

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 01:32 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My replica lip has a crack and I don't know who to blame

UPDATE ON PAGE 5

So on Thursday I received my SEIBON TS rear lip which is similar to the INGS+1 rear from m1autobody. That friday i went to EXACT MOTOR SPORTS in Milpitas to get my 15k service and my lip installed. I got there around 10:30 and they told me they would finish in the late afternoon. I come back and the first thing i notice is this big crack!!!!

I ask John why there's a crack and he said that the lip didn't fit and he had to trim some of it off the rear deflector and it still didn't fit so it cracks. There are also many small cracks in the paint and a minor scuff near the big crack. He told me that he didn't want to put it in but he put it in anyways. John didn't inform me that the lip didn't fit nor did he ask for permission to put it on afterwards.

So i leave with the lip cracked and broken and i decided to call OMAR m1autosports and ask them if they can do anything about it. Omar told me they fitted the lip before they painted it and before they sent it to me and said that it's the auto body's fault. I received a call this morning from John @ exact motor sports and he told me that it wasn't his fault. He said it clearly didn't fit, but he put it on anyways..THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AT ALL! Why the hell would you put it on when it doesn't fit.

So m1 and exact motor sports are blaming each other and i'm stuck with a f***ed up lip.

^This is the worst crack at the passenger side.

Look at the stress it's causing.It doesn't even run flush with the fender

Theres also a huge gap on the passenger side also.

The other side is flush, but there is also a crack on the corner.

There are paint cracks here and there. Approx 6-7.

My solution is to bring it to a couple of body shops that you guys think are well respectable for their services and try to fit it on another is350 ( whoever is willing to volunteer will get something back in return; lunch, dinner, a walk on the beach ) or a couple 2IS to see if the lip really doesn't fit or did the lip fit, but John made an error. We don't know so we'll see.

So far i have one body shop in mind since ShaneC PMed me.
Limitless Motor SPorts

Please recommended a good body shop or if you would like to volunteer for me to use your 2IS's rear.

Thanks, Tim.

Last edited by 2slow; 09-17-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 01:56 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think its exacts fault.... The kit is suppose to fit like a glove and installed a certain way to make it fit.
Old 08-13-08, 02:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow... im sooooo glad i live in hawaii, we got REV-01 to goto when we need this type of work done
Old 08-13-08, 02:19 PM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I think it is Exacts fault. Why force something to fit when it doesn't. They could of atleast called you and asked you first before forcing it on there. I believe M1 has sold many body kits and I haven't seen or heard any complaints about them. That just really sux that this happened to you. I would be going ape *****.
Old 08-13-08, 02:24 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry to hear that man, hope it all works out.
Old 08-13-08, 02:25 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

That blows! Yep I would blame EXACT....don't force something that doesn't fit. I hope you didn't pay labor charges for them to f%*k up your car.
Sorry it happened to you.
Old 08-13-08, 02:56 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would burn down EXACT MOTOR SPORTS if they gave me such a BS excuse
Old 08-13-08, 03:03 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. how much did you get that kit for?
2. are they (shop you bought kit from) claiming that it is an authentic Seibon kit? because seibon is a good fit also isnt it just like ings or just like they're carbon fiber kits?

Before I got rid of my car I got that kit and it was a replica not next mod but it was from an independent seller got a good deal on it, any ways you know that gap you are talking about on the passenger side I believe it is the third picture down, well ings and seibon does not have that gap they are a perfect fit just like the other side. the only reason I say that is because I had a replica and it had that gap and I believe if you ask others with replicas they will tell you that it does have a gap. and also the crack you got on the passenger side the first pick that is because the kit is not a perfect fit and it is work to get it on. in my opinion I don't think it is the body shops fault only because I went through the experience. hope that helps.
Old 08-13-08, 03:54 PM
LexFather

Did you inspect the piece before giving it to Exact?

I can't see them cracking something and saying its not their fault, thats not right. On the other hand, it seems the piece wouldn't have fit anyway.

Old 08-13-08, 04:10 PM
Dogmeat
Driver

wow. that is terrible. I think it is Exact's fault for forcing it in. he should of told you it didn't fit then you can see for yourself and check with the place where you bought the lip to verify it. Now its harder to bring your case to them saying it didn't fit.
Old 08-13-08, 04:10 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Its exacts fault, i guarantee they did not install it properly. I have the same front lip and it takes some effort and its tight but you can fit it on just perfectly. Its 100% exacts fault. If for any reason they were having problems installing it they should have called you immediately and informed you.
Old 08-13-08, 04:24 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trinityhk
Its exacts fault, i guarantee they did not install it properly. I have the same front lip and it takes some effort and its tight but you can fit it on just perfectly. Its 100% exacts fault. If for any reason they were having problems installing it they should have called you immediately and informed you.
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.. I mean take it for granted that they should have called but if you look at your kit you don't have that gap that he does and you don't have that crack and if you do its probably very minimal and the gap for sure you don't have.... why you ask because you have an authentic kit. replicas like I had and others that have replicas will have that gap. and the crack that he has its because the kit is not a perfect fit because when I installed mine ( the rear lip) and how you install it is you start with the drivers side on first and you work your way to the middle then to the passenger side snapping it on and it is a very tight fit because it is not a authentic one it is a replica that is why the kit he has has a gap and a crack at the corner. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. so it's not the body shops fault it's not an authentic thats why it does not fit right. just please look at your kit and veryfy that there is not gap on yours?
Old 08-13-08, 04:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo350
why you ask because you have an authentic kit...
Authentic what? replica? i thought Seibon was a 'replica' company... i wouldnt put it at the same lvl as JP/Wald/Fab, not even close...
Old 08-13-08, 04:58 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear.

Got my eibachs installed by exact.

Hope things get resolved.
Old 08-13-08, 05:57 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i thought Seibon was a 'replica' company... i wouldnt put it at the same lvl as JP/Wald/Fab, not even close...
+1

Also +100 on the fault going to Exact auto moto sport or w/e it's called.

Obviously, they didn't know what they were doing. Have they ever fitted a kit before?

If they did, they would have the experience to know better than "forcing" the piece on and causing the many cracks.

just my opinion but, damn.