Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

a story of: a lexus 2is front air dam, sewell lexus, and fedex... (resolved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 07:06 AM
boygger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered mine JUNE16 and got it yesterday JULY3!! because they didnt have paper work (i dont understand what kind of paper they are missing) to go through the custom the first time and fedex mail the whole thing bak to sewell and then sewell mail it out again (there you go one week)! But for both times, sewell emailed me the tracking number right away. In total i only called them once and fedex once. So i guess Im lucky already?? hahah and the parts comes in in perfect condition however the packing was really bad, broken boxes. Took me 3-4sec to unpack it lol!!
Old 07-04-08, 07:10 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah sounds like Fedex fudged something here
Old 07-04-08, 07:18 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

2 business days to ship a product is not that bad. Sewell has always treated me right. The front GFX package is awkward as heck, so that could be attributed to the shipping problems.
Old 07-04-08, 07:18 AM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

I just bought the IS-F rear spoiler from Sewell, and it took just over 6 days to arrive to Canada, which was way sooner than I expected. I will for sure buy from them again, and probably buy the GFX air dam next.

I'm glad you got your goods in the end, because that's what matters. To me, no matter how long it takes, I'm fine when I see it.

Question for you: I've noticed that the GFX front air dam costs $75 to ship to Canada (you said $50 within US), but the IS-F rear spoiler only cost $16.50 to ship to Canada. I'm assuming the weight between the 2 items is not that different, so I guess the size matters and caused the shipping to jump 5 times in price.

Can you please take a pic of the packaging it came in? I really want to know how big the box is, and how protected the lip is inside. Thanks.
Old 07-04-08, 07:33 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hardly a horror story. So they were a day late in getting your lip out; things get busy and they couldn't get it out. Stuff happens. There was an address on the original label, how else could it have gotten to your location. Again, stuff happens; label gets damaged, etc.

For those that like to bash FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. please remember they deliver almost all of their packages on time, and allow tracking all the way. What do you want, the US Government taking over these operations, i.e. the Post Office? I've always had good experiences with the big three.

I just had an $8,000, 150 lb stereo amplifier delivered by FedEx Freight. The shipper sent me the Bill of Lading, but the FedEx site did not show a tracking number. With that much value (paid via wire transfer to an individual I had never dealt with), and weight, I was a bit anxious to get it. After I called FedEx they said until it is picked up and scanned there is no tracking number. Called the shipper back and he said he was a day late in getting it on the pallet and shrinkwrapped. Later that day it did show a tracking number, and I followed its progress all the way until it was delivered to my door two days later in perfect condition. It almost always works out in the end.

We are spoiled by being able to get overnight packages and being able to track the progress all the way. In the old days, it showed up when it showed up. In this case I think FedEx and Sewell did as much as they could, you just got caught in one of those situations that has a package go into limbo.
Old 07-04-08, 09:20 AM
408IS350
Driver

Definitely not Sewell's fault here. They are great vendors and are very timely in shipping and communication. Fedex definitely screwed up here as many have mentioned it wouldn't have made it that far without an address.

You ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, Sewell is 2hrs ahead of CA time, so they probably didn't get the order until Friday. As you found out, the GFX kit is not that easy to pack, odd shaped packaging. They probably couldn't get to your order until Friday. Monday comes along and they get yours shipped out. At this point I don't see the big deal because at most, the delay is only 1 day, which is still very much the norm on online purchases. Of course the Fedex tracking number doesn't usually work instantaneously, it takes time to get updated, in your case only 4 hours until it shows up on Fedex site. I understand the rest of the issues and again it is Fedex's fault and you still got the lip on July 3rd, on the 5th business day from the time you placed your order, which again is acceptable since it was shipped ground from TX to CA.

Sewell doesn't owe you any compensation as they were within the acceptable time frame of receiving your order as well as providing excellent customer service.

If you have a beef with anyone, it's Fedex

It seems like you haven't purchased much online. There are reasons things are cheaper online, less overhead and no instant gratification. You want it now, pay more and go to a local dealer.
Old 07-04-08, 09:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
At least you got the goods Jason.
yes, i did get the goods, and i have tommy @ musicbox lined up tomorrow morning. can't wait to get it installed.

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
lol... patience my friend
Originally Posted by iialcii
it took me 2.5 weeks to get my order. patience
maybe i have been a little too eager to get my front air dam. that, and i have an installer lined up for tomorrow, so it was almost imperative that i have it on my doorstep by thursday afternoon.

of course, now it's in my garage...

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Glad it worked out for you in the end but How did they call you and know its your package if it had no address?
Originally Posted by pocky
How the heck can they ship out without a address?!
Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
one question tough, if the package doesnt have address how the hell made it all the way to cali???
you know, i thought about that, and in the end i have no idea. the city i live in, the state, and the zip code is on the shipping label though... maybe i should just take a picture of the shipping label; it'll explain a lot more than what i can say.

Originally Posted by DrShoe
I'm not a fan of FedEx and shipping in general as I had a situation like yours as well since the shipper forgot to put my apartment number down hence the guy couldn't deliver my package. Like you, I ended up driving 30 miles round trip just to pick up a t-shirt because I didn't want to wait over the weekend and have the FedEx guy being too "busy" to deliver again on Monday.

As for compensation from Sewell, it seems justified due to the mistake in not writing your address which lead to more confusion and FedEx not catching it when they are preparing to ship it. That's why sometimes I really hesitate to buy high price items that require shipping because it can be frustrating, especially when you're looking forward to just unwrap the package...
Originally Posted by golfproatl
Dude, someone made a dumb mistake with the shipping label. I would be very suprised if Sewell gives you any type of "compensation". You are still going to get the part 10 days after you ordered it. Chill. I got mine 3 weeks ago and it is still in the box!
Originally Posted by dw8787
I actually own a shipping store and unless Sewell does something completely out of the ordinary the systems will not generate a label or tracking number unless all the address information is entered. Like other posters have stated, how did it make it to Texas and to the right FedEx hub for that matter unless they had your address throughout the majority of the trip. What happens is the label gets dirty or damaged along they way and the carrier is unable to read the bar code or the actual information. So they get what they can and re-label it, then try and make contact with the sender or receiver. I haven't ordered from Sewell but I have to take their side on this one, at least about the shipping label. Either way that sucks when you get all excited about it being there only to find out it won't be. Hopefully you will get it put on this weekend and post some pics for us all to see. Sorry to hear about the trouble, but glad you got it now.
Originally Posted by 15951
Ah, the voice of reason. There's no way the package could have made it as far as it did without an address. This is Fed Ex's problem, not Sewell's.

Agreed that this was inconvenient, but at least they didn't lose or damage the package. This was human error.
i appreciate the differing opinions. as for me, there is plenty of blame to go around, but until i receive a full explanation from either fedex (which i will contact first thing monday) or sewell lexus (which will probably see this thread monday morning) i'm going to wait on passing judgment.
Old 07-04-08, 10:07 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by boygger
Ordered mine JUNE16 and got it yesterday JULY3!! because they didnt have paper work (i dont understand what kind of paper they are missing) to go through the custom the first time and fedex mail the whole thing bak to sewell and then sewell mail it out again (there you go one week)!
Originally Posted by is250077
I just bought the IS-F rear spoiler from Sewell, and it took just over 6 days to arrive to Canada, which was way sooner than I expected. I will for sure buy from them again, and probably buy the GFX air dam next.
i obviously can't compare texas to cali and texas to canada, but regardless of the destination if the paperwork is processed properly on the shipper's end, shipping should be seamless and free of any issues.

Originally Posted by is250077
Question for you: I've noticed that the GFX front air dam costs $75 to ship to Canada (you said $50 within US), but the IS-F rear spoiler only cost $16.50 to ship to Canada. I'm assuming the weight between the 2 items is not that different, so I guess the size matters and caused the shipping to jump 5 times in price.

Can you please take a pic of the packaging it came in? I really want to know how big the box is, and how protected the lip is inside. Thanks.
the is-f spoiler is a much smaller package than the front air dam package. i picked it up w/ my 2is, and i had to recline the front passenger seat all the way down and rotate the package in until it was entirely in my car. pics will follow...

Originally Posted by VikH
The front GFX package is awkward as heck, so that could be attributed to the shipping problems.
it is quite awkward, but i don't see how the size/awkwardness of the package could attribute to shipping issues.

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Yeah sounds like Fedex fudged something here
i'm not so sure, but again, i'm withholding judgment until i get a full explanation.

Originally Posted by VikH
2 business days to ship a product is not that bad. Sewell has always treated me right.
personally, i can't complain about the price that i got the front air dam for. i've also bought some other items (albeit lesser-priced and smaller-sized) from sewell lexus, and i've had no issues w/ them up until this time.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Hardly a horror story. So they were a day late in getting your lip out; things get busy and they couldn't get it out. Stuff happens. There was an address on the original label, how else could it have gotten to your location. Again, stuff happens; label gets damaged, etc.

For those that like to bash FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. please remember they deliver almost all of their packages on time, and allow tracking all the way. What do you want, the US Government taking over these operations, i.e. the Post Office? I've always had good experiences with the big three.
again, thank you all for differing opinions. and as i've stated in my previous post, i'm withholding any judgment until i receive a full explanation from fedex and sewell lexus, both of whom i will either contact or receive contact by monday. personally, i'm a little bit bothered by the fact that both relatively reputable companies have failed to take responsibility in something like this, which is the reason why i would like a full explanation.

Originally Posted by 408IS350
Definitely not Sewell's fault here. They are great vendors and are very timely in shipping and communication. Fedex definitely screwed up here as many have mentioned it wouldn't have made it that far without an address.

You ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, Sewell is 2hrs ahead of CA time, so they probably didn't get the order until Friday. As you found out, the GFX kit is not that easy to pack, odd shaped packaging. They probably couldn't get to your order until Friday. Monday comes along and they get yours shipped out. At this point I don't see the big deal because at most, the delay is only 1 day, which is still very much the norm on online purchases. Of course the Fedex tracking number doesn't usually work instantaneously, it takes time to get updated, in your case only 4 hours until it shows up on Fedex site. I understand the rest of the issues and again it is Fedex's fault and you still got the lip on July 3rd, on the 5th business day from the time you placed your order, which again is acceptable since it was shipped ground from TX to CA.

Sewell doesn't owe you any compensation as they were within the acceptable time frame of receiving your order as well as providing excellent customer service.

If you have a beef with anyone, it's Fedex

It seems like you haven't purchased much online. There are reasons things are cheaper online, less overhead and no instant gratification. You want it now, pay more and go to a local dealer.
i've purchased over thousands of dollars of PC components online, and i have had no issues whatsoever w/ the big three (UPS, DHL, fedex). this is the second time that a shipper "screwed up" (first time was when DHL delivered a flat-panel to me when i specifically told the station to hold it for me so i can go pick it up myself), so it's not as if i've had totally perfect experiences with shipping companies, but it's not as if the shipping companies i've worked with have tried to screw me over.

although i did say this in my original post:

but as much as i'd like to request some type of compensation from them, i'd like to hear an explanation and what they intend to do to compensate for my time off from work and driving halfway across town to pick up my front air dam.
i can only partially agree with you. sewell may or may not owe me any compensation for what happened, but i believe that, compensation aside, i should be entitled to a full explanation - and i strongly believe that i am. also, not that they didn't ship my order in a relatively timely manner or not provide quality service, but there is no explanation as to why. maybe your explanation is exactly what happened, but until i hear it directly from them, i can't make that assumption.

again, regardless of whose fault this was, until i get a full explanation i'm going to withhold judgment.
Old 07-04-08, 10:27 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

shippers screw up all the time with my shipments. of course i always prefer UPS since one of the drivers kind of knows us and doesn't screw up or USPS because the station is just down a block or two so it's easier to pick up.

of course i've ordered a set of LED's shipped through USPS. According to my friend, since the package is so small, it'll be delivered by the mailman. My tracking number says it's in Quincy. Later that day I see the mailman come by and deliver the mail. No package. Okay so I thought, maybe the packaging was too big for the mailman. Later no package comes and I check the tracking number and it says "Delivered." Crap I though, I called up my station and my representative said he'd call back when my delivery man comes back. Sure enough he calls back two hours later and says "Oh we found it, your mailman left it in the bag. She's out on her way home but she'll stop by to drop it off." And bam, within 20 minutes of receiving that call, she stops by and drops off my package Not much of a horror story but I had my scare since I was anxious for the bulbs
Old 07-04-08, 12:54 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

figuring this would help clarify why my package sat undeliverable at fedex, here are a few pictures of the package (per a few requests) and of the label (to explain why there is no address on the shipping label).

here's the packaging.

it's about this long...

and this wide.

here's the shipping label that was produced by sewell lexus.

up close of "ship to" section of the shipping label.

you see, where my address should have been, my name repeated there instead.

again, this matter is still open to the court of public opinion here on the CL forums. your opinion is welcomed.
Old 07-04-08, 01:20 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

at least u got ur package and even offer u to pick it up. i would of picked mines up but they said i have to wait and can't pick it up and in the end it was dropped off in front of my house and someone just took it. Sewell fixed this by sending another one overnight and I got it and signed for it. I'm never goin to use fedex.
Old 07-04-08, 05:26 PM
408IS350
Driver

I see your point. I just looked at my shipping label from Sewell when I purchased the GFX kit from them and it did have my entire address. Now I see how it got as far as it did to you and Sewell may have made the mistake of not inputting the entire address, but Fedex should have not accepted the package in the first place with the incomplete address.

Honestly I would just let this one go. Sewell is a wonderful sponsor. Very customer oriented and timely. I have purchased many orders from them with no problems except one occassion that they remedied quickly. The money I save with them is worth the wait for delivery.
Old 07-04-08, 10:30 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 408IS350
I see your point. I just looked at my shipping label from Sewell when I purchased the GFX kit from them and it did have my entire address. Now I see how it got as far as it did to you and Sewell may have made the mistake of not inputting the entire address, but Fedex should have not accepted the package in the first place with the incomplete address.

Honestly I would just let this one go. Sewell is a wonderful sponsor. Very customer oriented and timely. I have purchased many orders from them with no problems except one occassion that they remedied quickly. The money I save with them is worth the wait for delivery.
i share in the same opinion of sewell lexus, that they are a reputable vendor to purchase from. i've purchased other items (albeit smaller and less expensive) from them, and they've never given me any issues w/ shipping.

again, i'm seeking a full explanation as to why something like this happened, and i believe that my request is within reason. anything else after an explanation is the proverbial "extra mile".

we'll find out come next week.
Old 07-05-08, 12:05 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
my next call was to regan @ sewell lexus. i explained to her what happened, and she said that "everything that we send out has an address label on it." having worked in an office that uses fedex quite a bit, it's pretty obvious that if you need to send something by fedex, they need an address to deliver it (duh, right?). i civilly ask regan to call fedex to find out what happened, and to email me when she finds out.
He left work, wasted his gas to pick a package up that he payed to be delivered and that is where his frustration lies. Sewell Lexus should compensate him for the shipping charge and see if they or Fedex screwed up.

Its not a big deal but why pay for a job not done right and something you had to do yourself.

Seems like a two part fault from the story presented by projectdna and I hope Sewell investigates on the matter. It all lies on who made that shipping label on the box in the pictures.
Old 07-06-08, 06:44 AM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as an FYI..."Ground" is not a guaranteed service. In the future I might suggest if you need something by a certain date that you request and pay extra for a guaranteed service (overnight, 2-day). Then if this type thing happens the money would be refunded for the shipping if you didn't get it.

Quick Reply: a story of: a lexus 2is front air dam, sewell lexus, and fedex... (resolved)