High pitch ring/dog whistle type sound in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 08:07 AM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default High pitch ring/dog whistle type sound in cabin

Hey all,

Something new just started with my IS...I hear a high pitch ringing noise..similar to that of a dog whistle inside the cabin. This happens with the engine off. It starts when i hit the start button the second time and all the accessories come on. I removed the fuse from the radio and it still occurred. Also removed the fuse for amp 1 and amp 2 and no luck. Any suggestions where this could be coming from?
Old 11-03-19, 12:33 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Isn't a dog whistle out of the range of human hearing? lol
But seriously, do you have a recording of the noise? From your post it sounds like you think it's coming from the stereo system, however so many other things activate when you turn the ignition on (2 presses of the Start button without your foot on the brake), that it could be anything.
My first thought was the HVAC system self check, cause that happens at ignition on, but not Accessory mode (1 press of the Start button without your foot on the brake).
Old 11-03-19, 02:11 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Sasnuke So I just double checked. It does not happen in accessory mode. It happens with ignition on without pressing the brake. This one is going to drive me insane. Another way to describe the issue is when your ears ring in a silent room. That’s the noise. As soon as I shut the car off it goes away. It can’t be the stereo because that’s on in accessory mode. It’s some other electrical component/module that is engaged with “ignition on”. I’ll try to record.
Old 11-03-19, 02:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz1614
@Sasnuke So I just double checked. It does not happen in accessory mode. It happens with ignition on without pressing the brake. This one is going to drive me insane. Another way to describe the issue is when your ears ring in a silent room. That’s the noise. As soon as I shut the car off it goes away. It can’t be the stereo because that’s on in accessory mode. It’s some other electrical component/module that is engaged with “ignition on”. I’ll try to record.
You could try putting the car in Ignition on mode, turn everything off that you can turn off...radio and fan I think are the only things. Then press the START button 3 times which will cycle you right back to Ignition on again and see if the noise occurs.
My money is still on the HVAC self test...but it doesn't make the sound you are describing...and only last a few seconds.
Old 11-04-19, 01:06 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a long shot but it sounds like a stepper/servo motor issue. Gauge cluster should have one, but I am not too sure where else on the car would have a stepper/servo motor. But they do emit a high pitch noise when it received a electrical signal to activate a gear that isn't next in line to active. In that case, there could be interference from something that can cause it so do you have anything electrical attached? Aftermarket fog lights, HIDs? Sound system, new head unit display, LED lighting (interior or exterior) or a piggyback tune?

This is what I am thinking since stepper/servo motors do emit a high pitch sound that sounds like a whistle. Since it's not the stereo system, but I am not too sure how the sound generator works since I know some cars uses the speakers to generate a acceleration/engine sound. Stereo doesn't need to be on for this sound generation to work.
Old 11-04-19, 07:39 PM
shystieone
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it is the vacuum sound from having the ventilated seats on
Old 05-18-24, 10:02 PM
depressepigeon
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz1614
Hey all,

Something new just started with my IS...I hear a high pitch ringing noise..similar to that of a dog whistle inside the cabin. This happens with the engine off. It starts when i hit the start button the second time and all the accessories come on. I removed the fuse from the radio and it still occurred. Also removed the fuse for amp 1 and amp 2 and no luck. Any suggestions where this could be coming from?

hey man have you found a fix? ik its a bit off the timing but I just got an Is500 and the same thing is happening to me
Old 05-20-24, 09:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,636 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Originally Posted by depressepigeon
hey man have you found a fix? ik its a bit off the timing but I just got an Is500 and the same thing is happening to me
What do you mean on the "timing"? As in, the timing of the sound? When does yours happen?

I have a 2023, so hopefully I can tell you whether it's normal or not. I haven't experienced any high-pitched noises, but I do have some random noises when switching to accessory mode, such as the headlamps emitting a hum.
Old 05-20-24, 10:40 AM
depressepigeon
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by arentz07
What do you mean on the "timing"? As in, the timing of the sound? When does yours happen?

I have a 2023, so hopefully I can tell you whether it's normal or not. I haven't experienced any high-pitched noises, but I do have some random noises when switching to accessory mode, such as the headlamps emitting a hum.
Oh no no my bad by timing i meant this threat was started a couple years ago so im a little late LMAO. mine happens constantly. Even when the car is off. however I did realize that it turns off when the cars been off after a certain period of time. But then when i open the door even while its off the sound will start up again. Im thinking its from the dash and its just idle-ing until it turns off completely after a few minutes of being off. I have a 24 is500 i just got it on saturday and Im just tryna see what it could be.im also 20 years old and no one other than me and my sister can hear it and im assuming it has to do with an age thing / how good ur hearing is.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 09:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,636 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Originally Posted by depressepigeon
Oh no no my bad by timing i meant this threat was started a couple years ago so im a little late LMAO. mine happens constantly. Even when the car is off. however I did realize that it turns off when the cars been off after a certain period of time. But then when i open the door even while its off the sound will start up again. Im thinking its from the dash and its just idle-ing until it turns off completely after a few minutes of being off. I have a 24 is500 i just got it on saturday and Im just tryna see what it could be.im also 20 years old and no one other than me and my sister can hear it and im assuming it has to do with an age thing / how good ur hearing is.
Well, I am 35, and I would say my hearing is about average. People say I can hear stuff in cars that they can't, but I definitely haven't heard this noise. It's seemingly electronics-related if it only happens when the door is open or car is in accessory mode or on. It seems like your noise could be different from OP's since theirs was only in accessory mode. I do hear some whirring/humming from electronics, but definitely not high-pitched.

I may go to the garage and see if I hear it in a bit here.
Old 05-21-24, 09:57 AM
depressepigeon
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, I am 35, and I would say my hearing is about average. People say I can hear stuff in cars that they can't, but I definitely haven't heard this noise. It's seemingly electronics-related if it only happens when the door is open or car is in accessory mode or on. It seems like your noise could be different from OP's since theirs was only in accessory mode. I do hear some whirring/humming from electronics, but definitely not high-pitched.

I may go to the garage and see if I hear it in a bit here.
ohhh ok thank you thank you. Ill take some more time to try and figure out a fix or more of a confirmed place on where its coming from. I've gotten slightly used to it so i dont notice it AS MUCH as before but when I do notice it, its more like a buzzkill. Ill look forward to seeing if you hear it in your garage though. Thank you man