RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Drone sound from rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 01:45 PM
Claassen
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drone sound from rear

I get a droning sound coming from the rear of my 2008 RX350 AWD. It starts around 45 mph, and gets worse as speeds increase. CV boots in perfect shape, rear diff full of clean oil. Not the tires, as sound stays the same no matter what surface I drive on. Nothing loose, rattling or rubbing. Anybody else experience this? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-16-19, 03:03 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Claassen
I get a droning sound coming from the rear of my 2008 RX350 AWD. It starts around 45 mph, and gets worse as speeds increase. CV boots in perfect shape, rear diff full of clean oil. Not the tires, as sound stays the same no matter what surface I drive on. Nothing loose, rattling or rubbing. Anybody else experience this? Thanks!
Wheel bearing?
The following 2 users liked this post by mspearl95:
mnewxcv (07-17-19), RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-16-19, 03:10 PM
Claassen
Driver School Candidate

Sound doesn't change when side loading (swerving back and forth). Not an end all test, but had it jacked up, spun wheels by hand, listened and felt for anything strange. Maybe could be something with the drum style parking brake???? Just thought of that....
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-16-19, 03:13 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Sound doesn't change when side loading (swerving back and forth). Not an end all test, but had it jacked up, spun wheels by hand, listened and felt for anything strange. Maybe could be something with the drum style parking brake???? Just thought of that....
From what I’ve read, the side loading test doesn’t really work for rear bearings. Did you check for hub play when you had the wheels off the ground?

And what does the drone sound like?

Last edited by mspearl95; 07-16-19 at 03:17 PM.
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-17-19, 07:45 AM
Claassen
Driver School Candidate

Couldn't feel any play..still thinking that I might have brake dust built up in drum parking brake... Sounds kinda like if you drive on the interstate where they cut grooves in it for traction... the sound doesn't change pitch when going faster, just gets louder...does it no matter the road surface. I have rotated the tires, and didn't change anything. The tires are down to about 4/32's, Michelins, but I still don't think it's a tire issue...
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-17-19, 01:31 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I would inspect the rear wheel bearings as well. Could be an axle bearing as well but wheel bearings are much more common to fail. The brakes usually don't make a drone sound, and if the e brake shoes were dragging, they would be worn away to nothing very fast, resulting in a grind sound instead of a drone. I would remove the wheels and rotors from both rear wheels and then see if you can spot any play in the hub bearing and see how smooth it turns (will be difficult to say with 4wd) but they should have some resistance and be relatively silent.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnewxcv:
Claassen (07-17-19), RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 07-24-19, 10:26 AM
lydiamight
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a droning sound coming from the rear of my 2008 RX350 AWD. It starts around 45 mph, and gets worse as speeds increase------solved a similar problem by getting the Mother-in-law to get out and walk
mspearl95 (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 10:45 AM
Claassen
Driver School Candidate

Ha Ha Ha! My does it even without the mother in law....
Old 10-09-21, 09:43 AM
RadioMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Droning Sound from rear of RX350

You described my problem almost perfectly! My 2007 RX350 AWD with 99000 miles has developed a nearly identical sound in the last 2000 miles. Did you ever find the exact problem with yours? I'm taking mine to the dealer in two days. Thank you.

Last edited by RadioMike; 10-09-21 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added info. Corrected error.
Old 10-10-21, 01:47 PM
TheSchlaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having issuess with mine droning as well. Took the wheel off and found the outer brake pad worn to the metal on the drivers side. Replaced and the same drone. Will replace wheel bearings tomorrow.

EDIT: Replaced both rear bearings. The droning noise is gone.

Last edited by TheSchlaf; 10-11-21 at 10:43 AM.
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 10-13-21, 08:50 AM
RadioMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheSchlaf
I'm having issuess with mine droning as well. Took the wheel off and found the outer brake pad worn to the metal on the drivers side. Replaced and the same drone. Will replace wheel bearings tomorrow.

EDIT: Replaced both rear bearings. The droning noise is gone.
The last time my wife sat in the passenger seat she said, "I think I hear noise from the front!" I perceived something, too. The Lexus dealer replaced the left FRONT wheel hub, bearing and brake pad. They replaced both REAR brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. They performed a four wheel alignment and performed all routine 100,000 mile services. They filled the spare so the tire pressure light would go off. The rear drone is gone. My RX350 was quieter on the 13 miles to home. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RadioMike; 10-13-21 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added detail.
Old 11-07-21, 09:42 AM
Kirklandp
Driver School Candidate

Default Droning noise from the rear of my wifes RX330.

I have a droning noise from the rear of my wifes RX330. The noise gets louder the faster you go. When going around a right hand corner at speed the noise disappears. The rear wheels seem tight with no play. Do you guys have any suggestions what the problem is? My theory is that it is a wheel bearing or could it be a rear diffrential bearing?
Have any of you guys had this problem and if so what was it?

Thanks Pat
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 11-07-21, 12:23 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirklandp
I have a droning noise from the rear of my wifes RX330. The noise gets louder the faster you go. When going around a right hand corner at speed the noise disappears. The rear wheels seem tight with no play. Do you guys have any suggestions what the problem is? My theory is that it is a wheel bearing or could it be a rear diffrential bearing?
Have any of you guys had this problem and if so what was it?

Thanks Pat
Reads like a front wheel bearing.....I for sure wouldn't think its a diff bearing, as thetre are no problems w/ those......
RadioMike (11-07-21)
Old 11-07-21, 08:42 PM
RadioMike
Driver School Candidate

To Kirklandp: If you read my original note from 10-09-21 our problem was rear droning noise in my 2007 RX350 AWD, similar to the earlier complaint from a 2008 owner, and not unlike your RX330. Recently, my wife heard additional noise from the front. We took the vehicle to our Lexus dealer who replaced the left FRONT wheel hub, bearing and brake pad. They replaced both REAR brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. They performed a four wheel alignment and performed all routine 100,000 mile services. They filled the spare so the tire pressure light would go off. The rear drone is gone. The front end noise is gone. The handling feels tight. My RX350 rode more quietly on the 13 city and highway miles home from the dealer. It remains quieter since. I understand the front bearing and hub causing noise, but worn brakes as a source of droning noise is interesting. And our tires with 15K miles were not the problem at all. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by RadioMike; 11-07-21 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 11-08-21, 12:06 PM
Kirklandp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I going to have my wife drive the rx330 and I will sit in back seat with a sound level meter. Will try to pinpoint which side the droning noise is coming from.
RadioMike (11-08-21)

Quick Reply: Drone sound from rear