GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS400 cranks but won’t turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 10:38 AM
Trvppizza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS400 cranks but won’t turn over

As of this last week my car has been left at work 3 times due to it not starting when I want to go home.
i try and search as much as I can before doing these as not to flood with the same questions but I’m not finding anything that related to how my car is acting.

Heres what I've done since my last post that had my car randomly dying.
New battery and alternator and 120amp fuse
Now the problem was only limited to my jobs parking lot until last night when I went to leave a friends house and it wouldn’t start. This is the 4th time this has happened so I need to solve this problem. Now I’ve read on here checked battery terminals, made sure my fuel pump was getting fuel and all that everything checks out. I’m also not getting the bad started or battery clicks. The car will start and everything it just won’t turn over unless I leave the car for hours on end and come back for it then it will start first try like nothing happened. Not sure what to look for because I’m only coming up with a possible security issue which might be ecu related or key issue or something else I’m not thinking of. Yes I’ve made sure my trans isn’t in a weird spot preventing it from starting. Jiggling the wheel and shifter haven’t helped in any of the instances when the car wouldn’t start.
Has anyone has anything similar happen? I was about to spend $250 on a new key but I don’t know. I feel like it could be the starter but I’m not 100% sure as the TBSS I had, had a bad starter and It wouldn’t turn over it all it just got nothing.
Old 07-14-19, 08:39 PM
SameOlG
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So when it doesn't crank/turn over I want to say it's an electrical issue

Check the wiring going to the starter, wiring on the starter (if you can see it) this ones a stretch- neutral safety switch. Maybe the ignition switch too.
Old 07-15-19, 08:01 AM
Trvppizza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SameOlG
So when it doesn't crank/turn over I want to say it's an electrical issue

Check the wiring going to the starter, wiring on the starter (if you can see it) this ones a stretch- neutral safety switch. Maybe the ignition switch too.
Now if it has to do with anything ignition/starter related would the car just click or get nothing at the turn of the key? And I ruled out neutral safety switch because that was what I thought until the car reacted when the shifter was slightly out of park.
I do believe it’s something electrical or security related.
Old 07-15-19, 01:56 PM
SameOlG
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That click you hear is coming from the starter. Either the little actuator that sits on the starter or the piece that slides out and turn the flywheel. That at least means the key is working and the starter is getting power. Maybe it has an internal failure and doesn't get enough power to crank over/turn the flywheel.

It's hard to tell when it's not in front of me, sorry. Just trying to lend a hand with what knowledge I have
Old 07-15-19, 06:43 PM
Prnvmj
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue with my GS430, I used to lose power when I take exits on the bridges, and one day the car just stopped while driving. Then when I try to start the car, it would crank healthy but wouldn't turn on.

Any ways took it to the garage and they said I have to change my throttle body, Ignition coils, spark plugs, oxygen and knock sensors in over 2 weeks period in and out of garage.

Then once again it stalled the same way, But his time I took it to a friends garage and they found the culprit which was the fuel pump and filter. So I bought a new one and now the car runs smoothly but with a small hiccup due to Ignition coils, which i will change eventually.

What they said is that fuel pumps are very sensitive, If the fuel pump doesn't work, the car wouldn't start, it just sits there and crank. just a tap to the fuel pump can make it work, but it will not work properly.
To check this take it to a garage and ask them to loosen the fuel line and give a start. If it the line is NOT leaking that means the fuel pump is not working. These problems will not be shown in the OBD scanners. It might show some sensor problems like O2 or knock.
Old 07-16-19, 11:49 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

You didn't mention mileage but sounds like your fuel pump. I also have a '99 GS400 and mine went out right at 180,000 miles. One day she stalled and the next started and ran like nothing happened. If it continues that means your pump is going - especially if you experience the symptoms when your fuel tank is 1/4-1/2 full.
Old 07-22-19, 08:59 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its fuel pump and filter. Ive had strange intermittent problem like yours and I was scratching my head for long time trying to find out the problem. Make sure your vsv valve in engine bay doesnt have any vacuum leaks or working properly. Ive replaced fuel pump, filter, sock and vsv valve and problem went away. Car starts up fine now. My car is gs300 but I know whether i6 or v8 in our car, there are 2 vsv valves the one in engine bay and the one near by fuel tank. I replaced the one in engine bay.