IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Buying an is350

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 06:34 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Buying an is350

Hi Im 18 years old and im going to be buying my first lexus tomorrow. I live in canada so its in canadian dollars. We agreed on 5300$ (3950USD). I know that this is very low for such a car. It has 191000km.

The car is scratched and bruised pretty bad hence the low price.

I checked the carfax and it had a moderate accident in 2010 (no salvage).

When I test drove it, 2 messages popped up on the screen in front of me (pictures attached). "Check system" and "check vsc". He told me that one of them is for the fuel cap, and that the other one is for an oxygen sensor. Is this really what the codes mean and how much is it gonna cost me to fix these problems?

Im also not good with tires so I attached a picture of one tire. How much tread is left on it? (how many kilometers can I drive on it?)

Also, what kind of problems can I expect to happen within the next 20000km?

Last edited by dragoneye4; 06-18-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 06:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Welcome, check out the buyers guide thread linked in the faq sticky
Old 06-18-19, 01:52 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Don't just take the owner's advise on what they think the error codes are; go somewhere and have the codes pulled and let us know what those codes are. But yes, it is possible to have a bad cap ($10 fix) and bad O2 sensors (<$100/sensor).

That Lexus has had a rough life! Please remove any visible rust to prevent any future growth of that "cancer".
Old 06-18-19, 05:37 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Despite your desire to own one, I'd pass.
Sure, the first light seems like the tire pressure warning. Not sure about the other.

As your first car, I'd recommend something more simple and in better condition.
Old 06-18-19, 05:49 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

I already have a yaris. This lexus is an upgrade.
Old 06-18-19, 11:52 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Check System means the TPMS sensors need to be replaced (or the system itself is bad).
Old 06-19-19, 04:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This is a tough one. For the price, I think for the price, the risk is low to get your investment justified (worst case sell it). However a word of caution, if you do not take this car to a mechanic to check the majors (engine and tranny), be prepared to spend more in case a failure shows up. Owning a Lexus is an "all in" kind of thing but rest assured if you find a good one, it will serve you well. Nothing is free, so to say. You win if you get value from your investment. Invest in completing your homework, it is value add.
Old 06-19-19, 05:40 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Like everyone else said, go get the codes checked or bring/borrow an OBD2 tool to get the codes. That car needs a ton of body work, new front bumper, repaint of the hood and rear bumper, rust on the bottom of the doors, and pretty bad curb rash on the wheels. It looks like it could've been sitting since it's June and it still has winter tires... tires look fine. This one is a pass for me... my car had couple imperfections and has been in Canada all it's life as well and never had that much rust damage although I did fix it before it spread.
Old 06-21-19, 07:41 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
Like everyone else said, go get the codes checked or bring/borrow an OBD2 tool to get the codes. That car needs a ton of body work, new front bumper, repaint of the hood and rear bumper, rust on the bottom of the doors, and pretty bad curb rash on the wheels. It looks like it could've been sitting since it's June and it still has winter tires... tires look fine. This one is a pass for me... my car had couple imperfections and has been in Canada all it's life as well and never had that much rust damage although I did fix it before it spread.
What up Aspect. I agree the vehicle has had a ruff life. Id pay no m ore than $3,000 US. All the work needed to restore this nice vehicle. It is a GEM in the rough but most of us here would pass on that particular one. It shoulden't be hard to find the same lexus with 190K miles
Old 06-21-19, 12:44 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drizell
What up Aspect. I agree the vehicle has had a ruff life. Id pay no m ore than $3,000 US. All the work needed to restore this nice vehicle. It is a GEM in the rough but most of us here would pass on that particular one. It shoulden't be hard to find the same lexus with 190K miles
Hey drizell. You mistook the miles. It actually has 191000km, not miles. That would make it 119000 miles. Does that change your opinion?
Old 06-21-19, 02:22 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd use a scanner to see what those codes are just in case. Also it does seem kinda beat up as you said. If you are really stuck on it then definitely at least scan it and maybe have a mechanic check the engine and trans. Otherwise like some others are saying I think I'd pass and keep looking.
Old 06-22-19, 12:04 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

I got it inspected by a mechanic and everything seemed fine. Bought it!!

The mechanic told me that one of the warnings is for the oxygen sensor like I expected and the second warning is for the ABS. He said that I can keep driving without replacing either as it is not that important. Also, the front left wheel is a bit wobbly so he told me that the front left control arm is the issue, but that I dont have to replace it.

I also need to replace the battery and the spark plugs.

Old 06-22-19, 12:28 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dragoneye4
UPDATE:

I got it inspected by a mechanic and everything seemed fine. Bought it!!

The mechanic told me that one of the warnings is for the oxygen sensor like I expected and the second warning is for the ABS. He said that I can keep driving without replacing either as it is not that important. Also, the front left wheel is a bit wobbly so he told me that the front left control arm is the issue, but that I dont have to replace it.

I also need to replace the battery and the spark plugs.

Hey congrats on your IS350 bud. You will definitely enjoy her. My 06 IS350 has been the best car I have ever owned. She's my daily and has never left me stranded including on vacations and long trips. It is a great car and this forum has a ton of knowledge for stuff you may need for your IS.

One recommendation would be to get your ABS looked at and/or repaired though, trust me that is something you're gonna want if you need to stop hard especially in rain. The o2 sensor can probably wait but keep in mind if you burn out or melt a catalytic converter on a Lexus that could be a hefty bill assuming you attempt to find an OEM lexus one. Even aftermarket cats can be pricey.

But enjoy your new ride man! She looks sweet!
The following users liked this post:
dragoneye4 (06-22-19)