Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2013 Door Lock Actuator - Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 01:22 PM
wbcor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Door Lock Actuator - Help

I have gotten pretty good at replacing the failing door lock actuators, but really screwed-up the left rear:
I had it apart and realized I ordered the incorrect actuator. Okay, no problem I’ll make the car drivable and order the correct actuator. I’ve done two already and it’s really straight-forward.
However, being tired, distracted, stupid and wanting to please the wife I replaced the interior door panel with the internal hardware disconnected and closed the door.
Now there appears to be no way to unlatch the door – the interior panel is on and cannot be removed. My only access point is the small opening at the electric window control panel.
I can engage the door lock and door handle cables – white and green, but nothing happens.
It appears from the new part that the motor/internal gear needs to be in a certain position to allow the cable or the external door handle to unlatch the door. Of course, the motor has failed and it’s not plugged-in as well.
Any ideas?
Thanks and regards,
Bill
Old 05-22-19, 01:17 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

without removing the interior door panel, you are going to be hard pressed to get the door back open. Taking the panel off with the door closed is going to be tough and even risky with breaking something, but i think it's your only shot.
Old 05-22-19, 01:52 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

You will probably have to sacrifice the inner door panel by cutting a hole in it to access the mechanism. You should be able to find a good used one from a salvage seller on EBay to replace it.
Old 05-22-19, 06:03 PM
wbcor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gents,
I realized I really flubbed. I enjoy a challenge, so I'll take a hard look this weekend and report back.
Bill
Old 05-23-19, 03:54 PM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is my thought of what is going on.

You have access to the inside door cables but since they won't open it you must have the child lock switch on (so the inside door handle - green cable - will not open the door)
You installed the actuator but did not insert the outside door handle fork onto the metal bar of the actuator (so the outside door handle will not open the door)

Good news you should be able to open the door.
#1 - The white tip cable with the solid wire is your lock/unlock cable. Pull this cable to put it in the Unlocked position.
#2 - Grab a long flat tool (like a ruler). If you can still roll your window all the way down it will be much easier. Now look down from the window slot directly above the actuator. You will be able to see the one inch long metal bar on the actuator. Push this bar down and the door should open.

Regards,
Actuators Plus
Old 05-23-19, 05:07 PM
wbcor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
I was thinking along these lines, but didn't think about rolling the window down.
I have a boroscope camera that will help guide me.
I'll report back.
Regards,
Bill
Old 05-25-19, 11:49 AM
wbcor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
Here is my thought of what is going on.

You have access to the inside door cables but since they won't open it you must have the child lock switch on (so the inside door handle - green cable - will not open the door)
You installed the actuator but did not insert the outside door handle fork onto the metal bar of the actuator (so the outside door handle will not open the door)

Good news you should be able to open the door.
#1 - The white tip cable with the solid wire is your lock/unlock cable. Pull this cable to put it in the Unlocked position.
#2 - Grab a long flat tool (like a ruler). If you can still roll your window all the way down it will be much easier. Now look down from the window slot directly above the actuator. You will be able to see the one inch long metal bar on the actuator. Push this bar down and the door should open.

Regards,
Actuators Plus
Thanks for the tips! Worked like a charm.
I used a borescope and would be difficult without one. I made a tool out of a socket holder rail and eventually got it placed. I pushed and the door popped open.

My new actuator worked fine, but has poor alignment and the door latch "rode-up" as it closed and caused a poor fir. Put the old one back in as the fit is fine.

The other actuators I replaced all worked fine - one Japanese, one Chinese.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill