New owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 07:55 AM
bkowa092
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New owner - a few questions

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I have been lurking these forums quite a bit while researching different Lexus models. Finally purchased a 2015 IS350 F-Sport this weekend and can't wait to pick it up this upcoming week! This will be accompanying my other two vehicles: 2006 Honda S2000 (weekend car) and 2008 Ford F-150 (company vehicle). While I absolutely love this car already, I do have a few questions I was hoping you guys (and gals) can help me out with.

1. The one issue that my particular IS has is with the interior screen. It looks like below the top cover there is some moisture/hazing that is going on. It looks almost like a screen protector that was put on a phone incorrectly. You can really only notice this when the car is off, but I know this is something that will bother me. I called the Lexus dealership on Friday but still did not get a call back. A little research and I found that Lexus was fixing this issue under warranty. My car currently has the 80k mile drive-train warranty on it, but I'm assuming this will not be covered. Has anyone paid out of pocket for this fix before? If so, do you know what the cost would be?

2. While I think the IS is a stunning car, I feel the rear end is a bit on the tame side. Because of this, I am looking to upgrade to quad exhaust tips and possibly a trunk lip. I understand that the 2017+ diffusers are an exact fit and will allow for quad tips. I plan on going this route, but am curious if anyone has examples of what tips will fit nicely? I did find a few threads on this, but it seems that most get axle-back exhausts that have the quad tips. I do not want to increase the sound of the exhaust; I am doing this strictly for cosmetics. Any/all examples of tips that look good would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I look forward to spending more time on the forums, and more importantly, I look forward to the Lexus ownership experience!
Old 04-21-19, 08:07 AM
bkowa092
Driver

And what good would this thread be without a picture of the "new" car?

Old 04-21-19, 08:27 AM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I have been lurking these forums quite a bit while researching different Lexus models. Finally purchased a 2015 IS350 F-Sport this weekend and can't wait to pick it up this upcoming week! This will be accompanying my other two vehicles: 2006 Honda S2000 (weekend car) and 2008 Ford F-150 (company vehicle). While I absolutely love this car already, I do have a few questions I was hoping you guys (and gals) can help me out with.

1. The one issue that my particular IS has is with the interior screen. It looks like below the top cover there is some moisture/hazing that is going on. It looks almost like a screen protector that was put on a phone incorrectly. You can really only notice this when the car is off, but I know this is something that will bother me. I called the Lexus dealership on Friday but still did not get a call back. A little research and I found that Lexus was fixing this issue under warranty. My car currently has the 80k mile drive-train warranty on it, but I'm assuming this will not be covered. Has anyone paid out of pocket for this fix before? If so, do you know what the cost would be?

2. While I think the IS is a stunning car, I feel the rear end is a bit on the tame side. Because of this, I am looking to upgrade to quad exhaust tips and possibly a trunk lip. I understand that the 2017+ diffusers are an exact fit and will allow for quad tips. I plan on going this route, but am curious if anyone has examples of what tips will fit nicely? I did find a few threads on this, but it seems that most get axle-back exhausts that have the quad tips. I do not want to increase the sound of the exhaust; I am doing this strictly for cosmetics. Any/all examples of tips that look good would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I look forward to spending more time on the forums, and more importantly, I look forward to the Lexus ownership experience!
I don’t have any advice on the rear diffuser, as I have the FSport exhaust on my 15. Your navigation screen is probably de-laminating just as mine was. There is a TSB on this and I got mine replaced under warranty.
Old 04-21-19, 08:31 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ Like Napalvr said, I don't much advice on the rear diffuser. Your Lexus looks in GREAT shape!! I had one exactly like that, now I have the 2017 version which I equally love. With your screen haziness, I never experienced in either vehicle but worth talking to your dealer and see if he can help you out, if its not covered, maybe a goodwill offer?
Old 04-21-19, 09:06 AM
bkowa092
Driver

Thanks for the responses!

I was able to locate the TSB on the screen and will be contacting Lexus again tomorrow. The TSB includes the part number and step-by-step instructions on how to replace the screen cover. Part is $80 shipped and the replacement instructions seem pretty easy (simplicity is one of the main reasons I chose Lexus over the other luxury marques). So worst case scenario, I order the part and replace it myself.
Old 04-21-19, 01:44 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Congrats on the car!

I know it doesn't sound ideal but I gently removed my screen anti-glare with a mild eye glass cleanser and microfiber cloth. I haven't had any need to replace the coating and glare has never been an issue and it's very sunny where I live.

I suppose it may be an option to simply replace existing exhaust tips with whatever quad tip style you like rather than change the whole axle back just for cosmetics,, right?
The following users liked this post:
bkowa092 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 06:45 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Congratulations on the car and welcome to CL! I’m glad you’ve found some options for fixing the nav screen issue. It would bother me too. I also don’t have any advice on exhaust modifications. I am 48 and haven’t touched my exhaust because I don’t want increased cabin noise.
bkowa092 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 07:12 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on picking up the IS350!
bkowa092 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 08:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Honestly don't touch the exhaust or modify the body. It's not worth it and makes the car look worse. your car looks tame because it is tame. don't make it something it's not. that's my advice after nearly 18 years of modding and wasting money.

If you want to mod, mod on functional items like tires or brakes, or things easily reversed and/or inexpensive.

Exhaust will just draw attention to your car from cops and other young guys. You really won't be gaining from either of those scenarios.
Old 04-22-19, 08:40 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats! Thanks for the pic. What I am very interested in seeing is the S2000!
link13 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 09:13 AM
bkowa092
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Honestly don't touch the exhaust or modify the body. It's not worth it and makes the car look worse. your car looks tame because it is tame. don't make it something it's not. that's my advice after nearly 18 years of modding and wasting money.

If you want to mod, mod on functional items like tires or brakes, or things easily reversed and/or inexpensive.

Exhaust will just draw attention to your car from cops and other young guys. You really won't be gaining from either of those scenarios.
I think you may be misunderstanding my objective. I would only be changing the tips, not the actual exhaust. The volume/tone of the exhaust would be the same as stock, therefore not drawing any unwanted attention. The diffuser would also be an OEM Lexus product. If I would want to remove this in the future it would be easily reversible. I would simply swap back to the 15' diffuser and exhaust tips.

The exhaust tips I'm looking for would be a subtle look that could be mistaken as OEM to the unknowing. Something similar to below, minus the shiney mufflers as those will remain stock.

Old 04-22-19, 09:17 AM
bkowa092
Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Congrats! Thanks for the pic. What I am very interested in seeing is the S2000!
Thank you! Picture of the S2000 as requested:

The following 3 users liked this post by bkowa092:
2ndName (04-25-19), davyjordi (04-11-20), link13 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 09:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

^OK good. I saw quad exhausts and figured you want to do what most on here do which is played out. Less is more =)
Old 04-24-19, 04:20 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Hello All,

1) I heard the price of this from the dealer is $150-200 but some ppl have DUI of them doing it themselves

2) Just get tips and go to a muffler shop and have them chop off the original tip/cover and weld this one onto the muffler
https://www.ebay.com/i/273421213744?chn=ps - link to tips
Old 04-24-19, 04:34 PM
bkowa092
Driver

Originally Posted by swaangin
1) I heard the price of this from the dealer is $150-200 but some ppl have DUI of them doing it themselves

2) Just get tips and go to a muffler shop and have them chop off the original tip/cover and weld this one onto the muffler
https://www.ebay.com/i/273421213744?chn=ps - link to tips
I called the dealership and got the run around from them saying they needed to do an $85 diagnostic first. Then it would be $242 after that. Just decided to order the part for $80 shipped and am going to do it myself.

Those tips you linked me to are perfect! Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: New owner - a few questions