RCF brakes squeek

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 12:55 PM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RCF brakes squeek

Hey guys,

Just traded in my RC350 Fsport for a RCF and had a quick question. Has anyone experienced any brake squeek when coming to a stop?
car is a 2015 with 26k miles and im just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.Car is still under warranty till October is it worth taking it in?

Other than that love this car!

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-17-19, 01:20 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a common issue. Some people experience more than others on the stock pads. It really depends on your driving habits IMO. My squeal issues were not as bad as others. I went to aftermarket pads not long ago and my squealing issue is gone.
Old 04-17-19, 01:28 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Super common issue. It is the original 2015 (for certain) stock pads. These have great bite and performance but are very dusty which could be causing the squeal. My understanding is that they have another part number pad available that does not squeal or make dust BUT does not have the same performance. For what Lexus will charge, you can go out to the aftermarket and get something that performs without either of the downsides. Check out the brand Endless. I believe the MX72 model is what I will switch to myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Apone:
drutyper (04-21-21), MakRCF (07-24-20)
Old 04-17-19, 01:56 PM
TheBaumer
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just finished dealing with this issue from Lexus

Bottom line is, Yes there is a TSB for us RCF owners.. if the delivery date and mileage falls within 4 years or 50k.. You just need to have them replicate the squealing and then they can apply the TSB to replace the pads with a pad with a different material at no charge. I couldn’t get mine to squeal because I took my wheels off and cleaned the rotors with brake clean and blew out the dust on the pads before i found out about this dealership fix.. Go figure, now it wont squeal to qualify for there fix... So down the road when it needs it , I’ll go with new original lexus rotors and the Endless pads.. Good luck, Regards,Eldon
Old 04-17-19, 02:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-oem-pads.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ky-brakes.html

Lou
Old 04-17-19, 02:34 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup you can get it replaced for free by your dealership, just had mine done. but you will notice as others have said that they dont bite as well as the originals.
Old 04-17-19, 05:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Coincidently, Lexus issued a video to address exactly that issue. I had understood this before I purchased the RCF and am perfectly fine with some minor squeals here and there

The following users liked this post:
Apone (04-18-19)
Old 04-17-19, 05:25 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Coming from my days with AMG once I understood the mechanics behind high friction brake pads I came to appreciate them for what they are, brake squeal and all.

When I got my RCF and had the brake squeal I couldn't help but smile because I knew Lexus engineers were serious about how they want the RCF to perform.

It's a different mind set. You just can't have your cake and eat it too. With performance come trade-offs. I would rather have the performance.
Old 04-17-19, 07:15 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watching that video does kind of make me regret getting the TSB done, i do miss the bite of the original pads, but it was annoying on normal day to day driving hearing the squeak every time i braked. the world is all about trade offs i guess.
Old 04-17-19, 08:09 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Go aftermarket. You don't have to sacrifice performance to get rid of dust and squeals. I use MX72 pads and I get neither while still having the performance.

It's about the pad materials and the price you're willing to pay. My pads cost me more than my rotors, but were worth it. I did all 4 wheels even though the rear didn't need it yet.
Old 04-17-19, 09:56 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I heard a GTR's brake squealing the same way the other day in a parking lot. If I've never own the RCF, I would have laughed at the owner, but now I know better.
Old 04-17-19, 10:13 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

You should hear the CLK GTR AMG

Old 04-17-19, 11:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

LFA carbon ceramics also squeal like hell.

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
You should hear the CLK GTR AMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCYx_HANig
Old 04-18-19, 03:52 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davew77
Go aftermarket. You don't have to sacrifice performance to get rid of dust and squeals. I use MX72 pads and I get neither while still having the performance.

It's about the pad materials and the price you're willing to pay. My pads cost me more than my rotors, but were worth it. I did all 4 wheels even though the rear didn't need it yet.

At the end of the day one cannot defy the laws of physics. If your brake pads are hardly producing any dust and little to no brake squeal it is unequivocally speaking a compromised brake pad.

The MX72 are actually totally inadequate for an RCF. They are designed for light to medium weight cars, we all agree RCF's are no Floyd Mayweather. At the very least if you going with Endless you need M22. Lexus engineers recognized this fact and that's why they use a no compromise brake pad compound.

You have promoters hyping MX72 because they see a market for it as long as people squeal about their noisy brake pads.

Winmax W3; Hawk Hp plus and greater; RB XT's are good alternatives but again there will be noise and dust.

Pick your poison, it's the reality.

Caveat; I'm speaking to performance driven individuals. If all you use your RCF for grocery shopping trips and driving the grand kids to Sunday School then all I have stated is moot.

Cheers

WinmacN0
The following users liked this post:
adidascan (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 05:01 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

^^^
Koni,
i will disagree with you on the MX72. For a street/track pad it is a great product, disregarding the price.
I tracked two sets of them for two seasons and they were fine. In typical situations, I run out of tire traction before I run out of brake pad friction. Only time I wish for more friction is when I’m stopping from like 140+

Recently using ME20 and the stopping power is more, but definitely way more noise and dust.
Also, I suspect the ME20 is a bit more harsh on the rotors. I will know more after more track days. So far only 5 on these pads.

Quick Reply: RCF brakes squeek