Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG or not AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 03:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts
Default AMG or not AMG?

i'm sure nobody really cares about this too much, but does it make anyone else bummed out how like every other mercedes these days is "an AMG"?

as far as i see it, a mercedes is only worthy of having 2 numbers after the letters (S63, CLS63) and an AMG badge if it follows the one man one engine AMG "philosophy" and has an engine assembled by a single technician in the affalterbach factory

seeing an AMG used to be a rare and exciting event (and still is depending on the model), but with all the GLC43s and C43s going around (which until recently was called the C450) it's just like meh there goes another one... mercedes is just using the AMG name to increase profits since they know people will pay more to have their car say AMG on it a bunch

just to be clear, i'm not saying i have a problem with the cars themselves or the people who buy them, it's with mercedes making seeing the AMG badge not something i can get excited about seeing anymore... were i to get a C43, i'd take off the AMG badge and add a 0 after the 43 since i'm not a hypocrite yo

ok that's the end of my extremely 1st world problems for now lol
Old 04-16-19, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That's what having money will do. The economy is doing well, people are spending on vehicles, and, yes, even up-level vehicles, today, are going out the door. This is especially so in the D.C. area and its traditionally recession-resistant economy. Long Island, where you are at, is also an area known for high incomes.

Keep one thing in mind, though. Most of the AMGs (or probably anything else with the three-pointed star on them) are probably leased rather than bought. Leasing, even in high-income areas, is basically what keeps luxury-nameplate auto dealers in business.
Old 04-16-19, 03:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

AMG is overkill for me personally. Just give me a nice S or E or C with an AMG appearance package and not a 4 cyl and I'd be happy.
Old 04-16-19, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
AMG is overkill for me personally.
Just ask Lindsay Lohan LOL. She's wrecked two of them.....you guessed it, DWI.
Old 04-16-19, 03:52 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

well thanks for the replies but neither of you really addressed my "complaint", which is essentially should a mercedes that doesn't have an engine assembled by a single affalterbach technician still follow the AMG naming and badge scheme
Old 04-16-19, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well thanks for the replies but neither of you really addressed my "complaint", which is essentially should a mercedes that doesn't have an engine assembled by a single affalterbach technician still follow the AMG naming and badge scheme
Is it indeed fact that all AMGs had hand built engines until recently?
Old 04-16-19, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, then, if the vehicle comes with an AMG warranty and certification, then, yes, the engine, IMO, can have an AMG badge on it without some Technician putting his or her John Hancock-signature on it. I see no problem with it.

Ford, some years ago, used to install Cobra Mustang V8s that had a Technician Hand-Built signature on them. It was pretty much a marketing feature.....those engines weren't necessarily any better than assembly-line engines, and, in fact, often did not produce the full-rated advertised HP on the dyno. Ford had to answer a lot of questions on that one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 06:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is it indeed fact that all AMGs had hand built engines until recently?
yes, if the car had 2 numbers in its name and was officially designated "AMG" that meant it could only have an engine hand assembled by one technician

such as in this video:

doesnt essentially mean the car is "better" for having the engine assembled in this way, just that it's "an AMG"
Old 04-16-19, 06:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

yes, if the car had 2 numbers in its name and was officially designated "AMG" that meant it could only have an engine hand assembled by one technician

such as in this video:

http://youtu.be/Pc3sxQCq0KY

doesnt essentially mean the car is "better" for having the engine assembled in this way, just that it's "an AMG"
Yes. I see your point. I think your original premise and argurment is 100% valid.

What example of a non AMG with 3 numbers is there?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-16-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 06:27 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, then, if the vehicle comes with an AMG warranty and certification, then, yes, the engine, IMO, can have an AMG badge on it without some Technician putting his or her John Hancock-signature on it. I see no problem with it.

Ford, some years ago, used to install Cobra Mustang V8s that had a Technician Hand-Built signature on them. It was pretty much a marketing feature.....those engines weren't necessarily any better than assembly-line engines, and, in fact, often did not produce the full-rated advertised HP on the dyno. Ford had to answer a lot of questions on that one.
gm did it on the corvette zr1s too, but "one man one engine" isn't literally the defining characteristic of why those cars are called what they are

the engines in the 43 and 53 models have about as much to do with AMG as the new supra engine has to do with toyota
Old 04-16-19, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

gm did it on the corvette zr1s too, but "one man one engine" isn't literally the defining characteristic of why those cars are called what they are

the engines in the 43 and 53 models have about as much to do with AMG as the new supra engine has to do with toyota
Are all corvette engines hand built?
Old 04-16-19, 06:31 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Yes. I see your point. I think your original premise and argurment is 100% valid.

What example of a non AMG with 3 numbers is there?
well now anything that ends in 43 or 53, if you go to the mercedes website you'll see that their engine is referred to as "AMG enhanced" which just means a different software tune

not too unlike putting a bmw engine into a car and calling it a toyota supra
Old 04-16-19, 06:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Are all corvette engines hand built?
the corvette has always used the highly mass produced and very nice GM small block engine, only the very low volume corvettes like the supercharged ZR1 had a hand assembled engine
Old 04-16-19, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

well now anything that ends in 43 or 53, if you go to the mercedes website you'll see that their engine is referred to as "AMG enhanced" which just means a different software tune

not too unlike putting a bmw engine into a car and calling it a toyota supra
I get what you are saying. When did they change to AMG enhanced?

and what is the heritage of Supra?

the corvette has always used the highly mass produced and very nice GM small block engine, only the very low volume corvettes like the supercharged ZR1 had a hand assembled engine
Was not aware. I think the Bowling Green location is very important. If that changes, then not a real corvette.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-16-19 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

43 AMG is simply a money grab. 53 AMG is unique as it returned to inline but modernized with 48-volt system, and 63 AMG will always be the poppa dragon, although Benz recently filed for 73 AMG application

Quick Reply: AMG or not AMG?