GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 GS350 MP3 Playback

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 04:24 PM
Glix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 GS350 MP3 Playback

Hi all, I'm new here and just registered today, and I hope to be a part of the Lexus family soon.

For many many years I have driven mainly Mercedes, with the exception of a 2001 Infiniti and a 2006 BMW. That being said, I'm very much accustomed to the COMAND/iDrive system for infotainment control and not a fan of touchscreens. So when I came across a 2017 GS350 Executive for sale it piqued my interest despite the control system that every auto journalist seems to hate.

What I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the dealers on though is how well Lexus' system handles mp3s in folders and sub-folders. I'm used to plugging in a USB drive or SD card, and the car shows me in a vertical list view all the folders in the directory root, then I can navigate in and out very easily using the **** and the back button. My 2013 Benz according to the manual could handle 5,000 combined files and folders before it would start ignoring some at random. My 2016 raised that limit to 25,000 for all combined devices simultaneously attached.

How does the 2017 GS handle this? Is it capable of browsing through folders and files based on filenames? For comparison, I tried my uncle's Volvo XC90 and while it *could* handle folder view, it would then get too smart and try to read the mp3 id tag information and sort it by album/genre, etc... I don't like this. Mercedes infotainment only displays the id tag info after you've selected a song for playback, then you get the cover art, artist, album, & track.

Additionally, is there a limit on how many files it can recognize on a single flash device?

Thanks a lot all!
Old 03-23-19, 08:56 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

I can't speak for everyone, but in mine, my USB is recognized by its name and each folder is an album, complete with the artwork in it, so scrolling through it is just like an iPod. When I plug in an iPod, it operates the same way. I can search and sort alphabetically by album (folder) on the USB, and by artist and other things on the iPod. I think it has to do with the ID3 tags. If they're present with the album/artist in the folder, the system should play and sort without issue.

No limit on how many files you can sort and play. It seems to work just fine for me.

I will say, if you're used to iDrive, you're probably going to join the "cult of the infinite complainers" with the Lexus setup. There's quite a lot of unhappy owners around who will gladly give you their uninvited opinion on how terrible the Lexus infotainment system is. Just be advised, none of us bought our cars for how awesome the infotainment system is.

If you're really curious and don't mind paying a nominal fee for it, see if someone in your area has a GS350 to rent on Turo. I was able to rent several cars for three-day "live with it" test drives before purchasing. It might help you know whether you can live with the Lexus setup.

If so, welcome to the club!
The following 2 users liked this post by SharpGent:
Glix (03-23-19), jaguar_83 (02-04-21)
Old 03-23-19, 11:39 PM
Glix
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, thanks for your reply. What does it do if you have let's say a folder titled "Artist - Album" and then within you had 2 more folders for Disc 1 and Disc 2? Would it consolidate and treat as one album entry? If you don't know then please don't worry about it. I think I really need to bring a flash drive with me and try it on the exact 2017 I'm interested in. Just thought I'd get a headstart on what to expect.

Aside from the touch input device, whatever Lexus calls it, are there any fundamental reasons I may not like the system? Truth be told I don't ask for much from my infotainment, mainly that I can pick my music easily enough. Navigation is rarely used, I'll just have the map on display. I have both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay right now and never use them. My only bluetooth requirement is that it handles calls which is simple enough, I don't stream off the phone. But I really do dislike touchscreens, so the GS system seemed better to me at least in principle.
Old 03-25-19, 09:56 AM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

Fundamentally, the Lexus system doesn't have as many "fun" and/or "modern" features other competitors have. This includes Apple Play, Pandora, etc.

Truly, you'll be fine. It takes calls beautifully. It sounds great. It will work for everything you need.

I would simply bring a USB with you when you test drive and see what happens.
Old 03-25-19, 12:15 PM
Glix
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I'm planning on going in to try both a loaded 2017 IS350 and GS350 tommorow.