GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this bad? Flooded engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 07:23 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this bad? Flooded engine?

Hey guys was checking out a vehicle that im looking at and found this in one of the reports from Lexus Driver "CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE INDICATOR IS ON, PLEASE CHECK ~|~ ~|~NO CAUSE SPECIFIED IN RO ~|~FOUND CAUSE OF STARTABILITY MALFUNCTION FROM FLOOD D ENGINE. WAS ABLE TO GET VEHICLE RUNNING AND CLEARED OUT BUILD UP FROM SITTING. CHARGED VEHICLE BAT TERY. ". Does this means the car was flooded up to the engine? Please enlighten me.
Old 03-21-19, 07:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I'm guessing the engine was flooded (common term to describe too much gasoline in the intake manifold and cylinders from constantly pumping the accelerator pedal) with excessive gasoline when they tried to get it started after the car had been sitting for a long time not having been driven. Sounds like the battery died too from the car not having been driven for a long time. The question I would have is why was the car sitting for so long not being driven...
Old 03-21-19, 08:06 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

And where was it sitting, garage, in the driveway under a tarp, open to the elements?
Old 03-21-19, 08:33 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

@chinee @bclexus I have no clue Autocheck says it is a fleet/lease vehicle. So i should skip over this car?
Old 03-22-19, 07:22 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fuel injected vehicles should not flood. If they do, there is a severly malfunctioning injector.
Old 03-22-19, 07:43 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Can’t say at this point that it’s a bad buy, but with anything preowned, you’ve got to do your homework. The GS is a great, reliable and durable car, but there can be some with problems out there. If the car was serviced at the dealer I would ask a service manager to explain those notes, and getting an inspection by an independent mechanic may not be a bad idea.
Old 03-22-19, 07:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NuwenKhanh
Hey guys was checking out a vehicle that im looking at and found this in one of the reports from Lexus Driver "CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE INDICATOR IS ON, PLEASE CHECK ~|~ ~|~NO CAUSE SPECIFIED IN RO ~|~FOUND CAUSE OF STARTABILITY MALFUNCTION FROM FLOOD D ENGINE. WAS ABLE TO GET VEHICLE RUNNING AND CLEARED OUT BUILD UP FROM SITTING. CHARGED VEHICLE BAT TERY. ". Does this means the car was flooded up to the engine? Please enlighten me.
What year and model?
Old 03-22-19, 08:34 AM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
What year and model?
It's an 2015 with 31k miles priced for 23k.
Old 03-22-19, 08:39 AM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinee
Can’t say at this point that it’s a bad buy, but with anything preowned, you’ve got to do your homework. The GS is a great, reliable and durable car, but there can be some with problems out there. If the car was serviced at the dealer I would ask a service manager to explain those notes, and getting an inspection by an independent mechanic may not be a bad idea.
The car is being sold at non-Lexus dealer, and it is about 90 miles from where i live. I think i might just going to pass on the car. I don't don't know any trusted mechanic out there and i doubted they will let me drive back to my mechanic.
Old 03-22-19, 09:14 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's an 2015 with 31k miles priced for 23k.
That's a really good price. Even more so if it's AWD, F sport, or luxury model.
Old 03-22-19, 09:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have no clue Autocheck says it is a fleet/lease vehicle. So i should skip over this car?
You just need to learn more about the car's history. It may have sat for a month in a nice garage due to the owner having a health related issue ... or it could have sat in a field with weeds growing up around it, with the windows cracked open and with rats and mice making their home in the car's intake and interior. You just don't know...until you know.
Old 03-22-19, 10:05 AM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
You just need to learn more about the car's history. It may have sat for a month in a nice garage due to the owner having a health related issue ... or it could have sat in a field with weeds growing up around it, with the windows cracked open and with rats and mice making their home in the car's intake and interior. You just don't know...until you know.
thank you for you advice, but i going to skip this car and look for another one closer to home.
Old 03-22-19, 10:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

thank you for you advice, but i going to skip this car and look for another one closer to home.
I don't blame you...