RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Cross-shopping RCF and Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 07:14 AM
SKGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cross-shopping RCF and Hellcat

Long time lurker here. I am currently in the market for another sports/muscle car. I previously had a 14 GT, 15 GT, then a 17 1LE Camaro then went to a truck but it's boring.

The 2 cars I am looking at are the RC-F and a challenger hellcat. I realize they are drastically different but wondering if any of you went through this process. I have driven a hellcat but not a RC-F yet, for reference. They are around the same price in the gently used market.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-21-19, 08:37 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What did you enjoy about your previous cars? I'm coming from a Subaru BRZ and I wasn't THAT disappointed in it's power, but I knew the jump to an RC-F would be dramatic so I didn't look any further to convince myself that I need even more.

I mainly jumped for the interior quality specifically the cluster and seats, audio system, and exterior styling even at stock form. Then eventually got a Borla and for the longest time I felt like the car was perfect, and even better I still don't see any RC-Fs on the road except me.

IMO if you're not tracking, getting an M4 or Hellcat just to be even faster gets old quick. Go to the GT-R forums, and see how quick those guys are getting tired of stock speeds, then get tired of FBO, then get tired of FBO E85 lol. Buy the car that you can enjoy driving slow because 80% of the time that's what you'll be doing, and personally the Hellcat looks like every other charger/challenger from 3 cars away and you won't feel like you're in a $50-60k+ car inside.

But again this is only if you can relate. If you have plans to put the car to a test then I'm sure it won't disappoint.
Old 03-21-19, 12:24 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

.....its a Dodge, how many Dodge Neon SRT 4 do you still see on the road? They also put a 300k mile Cummings motor on a 30k mile chassis!
Old 03-21-19, 01:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 1herm4
.....its a Dodge, how many Dodge Neon SRT 4 do you still see on the road? They also put a 300k mile Cummings motor on a 30k mile chassis!
Not sure the logic on referencing Neon SRT4's seeing as how they were discontinued back in 2005 I think. I still see a decent number of older SRT8 cars and Jeeps around.

OP ask same question on the Challenger Hellcat forums.
Old 03-21-19, 01:46 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

dramatically different car and it's going to boil down to what you want out of it. My neighbor has a Hellcat and it is absolute beast, when he starts it up i drool a little bit. With that said, it is an all out sports car, loud & fast. The interior on it is a sports car, not so much luxury, but still very nice. Coming from a couple mustangs and a camaro i suspect this loud and fast still pertains to your likes and the Hellcat would be the big brother to everything you've experienced prior.

The RC F is much more elegant. More of a luxury car that happens to have some speed and handling. Lexus prides itself on effortless driving with unmatched comfort and reliability, all the things the Hellcat isn't. Dodge's are great cars when they are new, but just looking around on the roads speaks volumes of how many actually make it to old age. If you don't drive your cars for 10 years, then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

The RC F in my opinion is a much better daily driver than the hellcat could every imagine being. Most people don't worry about gas and even make wise cracks about sweating gas prices or how often you fill up, but when you are in a Hellcat getting 8mpg, a change of perception occurs.

If you want another sports car, something better than you've ever had, go with the Hellcat. If you want a luxury car that is fast, then go with the RC F.
Old 03-21-19, 02:32 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I like the Hellcats. Whats not to like, massive horsepower muscle car. I do see them all the time, very common here in California.

The RCF is more exotic, better built and very rare.

Obviously, I already chose the RCF. It is such an amazing car.
Old 03-21-19, 08:33 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

To me a 1LE is a much better car than a hell cat. How come you got rid of it? Just curious.
Hell cat only does one thing well. 1LE handles great, plus got plenty of power. Interior is still Chevy though.

I think you need to drive an F.
If you’re looking for low end power, the Rcf ain’t it. The lack of low end torque will probably leave you wanting an American v8. I’m not sure a super charged F, could give you the raw power that most Hell cat owners crave.
I have a friend with a Hell cat. The first few gears is just over the top ridiculous.
That said, I would never own a Hell cat as I am totally satisfied with my F.

If long term reliability is a top concern, then the F.
If driving a different car than the rest of the pack is a plus, then the F.
If refinment and interior build quality is a concern, then the choice is clear.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-19, 09:51 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I see that you're from TX, so you don't have to worry about any smog law, right? In that case get the F, then add header and exhaust, you'll have a car that looks and sounds amazing and also faster than many cars on the road if you care about racing. I think enough said about reliability already.
Old 03-22-19, 11:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, X2. Get the RC "F".

It is still RARE.

Just recently I was going to Costco in New Orleans where I got off I-10. A couple of cars followed me into Costco parking lot and wanted to know WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THAT!!! (I mean the two big "L" front and back does not tell them anything. IDK?? LOL) THEY SAID TO ME THERE IS NO WAY A LEXUS SOUNDED LIKE THAT! They said my RCF sounded like no Lexus they've ever seen. Of course, the Borla exhaust helped!! When I told them it has a V8. They could not believe it! Then they talked about the movie, Black Panthers, where a few Lexus models were shown.

Originally Posted by buister
I see that you're from TX, so you don't have to worry about any smog law, right? In that case get the F, then add header and exhaust, you'll have a car that looks and sounds amazing and also faster than many cars on the road if you care about racing. I think enough said about reliability already.
Old 03-22-19, 12:05 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I hate the majority of US cars. No substance, so simple, and I can go on and on.... I was on the hunt for a 997 Turbo and a Aston Martin Vantage. I picked the cheaper option due to some priorities but I'd still take the RCF over any US car.
Old 03-22-19, 09:57 PM
Flick2JZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 (485hp/475tq) so i'm down 220hp from a hellcat. My Charger has a ton of power and torque and it's fun to drive around town with the sheer torque. It has tons of cool features (better heated steering wheel) arguably better sound system with the Harmon Kardon in the Dodge. But the car is still a $20k base chassis with better brakes/suspension/etc I've had my Charger for about 8 Months and 12k miles and i've had more stupid issues with it than i had with my 130k mile IS350. The Hellcat will be fast, but it's fat you can tell when you drive it hard in anything other than a straight line. Though they make all the right noise and have some of the best brakes i've had on any car, i'm shopping for an RC-F i know i'm going to loose and miss the low end torque, but the fit and finish and overall quality of the Lexus is much better.
Old 03-23-19, 01:57 AM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I love my RCF, and I drove a lot of other great cars before making my decision (ATS-V, RS5, M4, 2015 Roush Stage 3 Mustang) and previously owned a couple STI's, a Saleen, a couple Cobras, a 'vette, etc. I've also driven every model of Tesla as I worked for them, and a P100D Model S is an amazing car that is ridiculously quick but even used, a P90D/P100D was out of my budget.

That said, the RCF really does it for me. I love the styling, the seats, and I prefer the automatic over the other automatics I drove (although I wish they'd made a manual option). It's a well-rounded car that, while it won't be the fastest at the track, it won't be easily embarrassed, either. I drove it all the way from MN to AZ in 3 days when I bought it and it was one of the most comfortable/enjoyable long distance trips I've ever taken.

I wouldn't mind if it had 600hp + torque, but the drive is far more comfortable, smooth, quiet, and refined compared to what I can only assume you'll get in a Hellcat. And should you need more power, there's more support in the aftermarket than I would have expected for a Lexus.
Old 03-24-19, 07:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Same Dilemma Here!

Literally went thru the same process you're going thru around April 2017. Rather than tell it all over again for the OP, feel free to read my search and decision within this Thread.

As stated within this one, they are entirely different vehicles for sure! Being a Dodge Cummins Owner with zero issues, I would've loved another one in my garage. However, after spending a whole day testing a RCF Demo - the choice became Crystal clear for me when it came to the pure comfort of this car! Lastly, I join all my fellow RCF Owners in that our cars are not seen every 50ft on the road. Matter of fact, every weekend Car Meet I attend has row after row of Mopar vehicles, yet I've only seen ONE other F there! I personally like those odds and I'm perfectly content with the choice I made! Semper Fi !!! 🇺🇸

**Best of luck w your decision! 😎
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 06:41 PM
SKGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your replies and insight. It is appreciated. I was away this weekend watching Indy at COTA, although, I'd have to say the stadium trucks were the most entertaining thing there. My gripes from previous cars did stem from overall build quality and different rattles and nuances that were happening with very low mileage. That is what got be interested in the Lexus to begin with. At Cota there was a blue RC-F like Gunny's and it was gorgeous. It was parked in a sea of probably 10 challengers(turn 1 area, although there was a black Ford GT there). I do want to drive one but I think I have made up my mind. I know it's flashy but I love the pearl orange that is offered on the RCs so will likely pursue that.
Old 03-24-19, 07:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by SKGT
I do want to drive one but I think I have made up my mind. I know it's flashy but I love the pearl orange that is offered on the RCs so will likely pursue that.
Exactly my thoughts I would never get a molten pearl because it is too flashy and also because I wanted a red interior, but once I saw this one in real life, I could not pass on it did everything to negotiate the price, LOL

Once you test drive, skip all of the modes especially auto and go straight to sport+/manual and TVD in slalom mode (if it has one). Downshift to the lowest gear once you want to accelerate coming off any off-ramp to get the maximum out of the engine.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping RCF and Hellcat