GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Vent rattle/tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 03:09 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Vent rattle/tick

So i believe when i am driving and go over bumps or rough roads these vent tabs rattle/tick a little (you can hear the noise from any of the vent tabs from anywhere on the car that has them). Anyone figure out a way to get rid of the noise? I'm positive the noise is from the tabs because they are plastic and its probably getting noisy due to the colder weather we are experiencing in Canada. I want to fix this myself i know the dealership has insulated these areas in the past but it hasn't fixed the problem. They have also mentioned that they replaced the tabs but still nothing (makes sense since the problem seems to be the material of the tabs).

Thanks your help is appreciated!
Old 01-22-19, 07:43 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex

So i believe when i am driving and go over bumps or rough roads these vent tabs rattle/tick a little (you can hear the noise from any of the vent tabs from anywhere on the car that has them). Anyone figure out a way to get rid of the noise? I'm positive the noise is from the tabs because they are plastic and its probably getting noisy due to the colder weather we are experiencing in Canada. I want to fix this myself i know the dealership has insulated these areas in the past but it hasn't fixed the problem. They have also mentioned that they replaced the tabs but still nothing (makes sense since the problem seems to be the material of the tabs).

Thanks your help is appreciated!
Hey dude, you can literally pull that piece out with your fingernails. It's probably the screw that holds the silver piece to the trim, it may have become loose. You can also use some felt tape and put it around the edges if that does not work.

Old 01-22-19, 08:22 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hey dude, you can literally pull that piece out with your fingernails. It's probably the screw that holds the silver piece to the trim, it may have become loose. You can also use some felt tape and put it around the edges if that does not work.

I will definetly take a look at that. Thanks so much man ! Your help is truly appreciated
Old 01-22-19, 10:08 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got a rattle that comes and goes and it sounds like it's from the same vent but on the passenger side. Does that trim pull of the same as the one it that picture? Pushing hard on the glove box or opening the glove box and pushing/banging on the dash area above sometimes gets rid of it.
Old 01-22-19, 10:52 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I've got a rattle that comes and goes and it sounds like it's from the same vent but on the passenger side. Does that trim pull of the same as the one it that picture? Pushing hard on the glove box or opening the glove box and pushing/banging on the dash area above sometimes gets rid of it.
Don't pull on passenger side trim, you damage the trim. It is held down by two bolt behind the trim. Check out Eddie's how-to for info on removal of the dash trim.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
eddie420 (01-23-19), thallium (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 10:02 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I have this clicking/rattle from the same place on passenger side! Going to check out eddie's info, as others have suggested.
Old 01-23-19, 12:58 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

The thread jpdata was referring to: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sassembly.html

Thanks jp!
Old 01-27-19, 09:19 AM
Moondog269
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent Rattle

Hi, new to the forum. Have the same annoying rattle by the drivers side vent. Only happens over rough road. Definitely not the vent. I put some black foam in three spots in between the vent panels in 3 spots to no avail. Did you have any luck with removing the trim like one of the members suggested? Afraid to try that and damage it. Thanks

Thanks your help is appreciated![/QUOTE]
Old 01-27-19, 09:36 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Did you guys with the rattle try to wrap the tabs with some electrical tape? That solve the rattles for me. Though the tape might make it hard to remove the trim later.
Old 01-27-19, 10:00 AM
Moondog269
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Did you guys with the rattle try to wrap the tabs with some electrical tape? That solve the rattles for me. Though the tape might make it hard to remove the trim later.
I guess you mean the silver horizontal tab? Really that worked? It’s only that vent. Unreal that a $60k car can have an issue like that.