GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Proper Transmission Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 05:36 PM
Technetium
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Transmission Care

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty limited when it comes to the fine details of cars and their specific mechanics. This past year I ended up buying a 2000 Lexus GS 300 with a relatively new motor dropped in by one of my friends. The thing runs like a dream and has no issues whatsoever. The engine has at most 50k miles on it, but the transmission has 240k original miles (it's an automatic). Everything is stock, and it's my daily driver. My question is, does anybody advise any certain transmission additives or anything of the sort to keep the tranny running in top shape? I had my last cars transmission puke out on me (from no fault of my own) and I really want to treat this thing the best I can so that it stays around for quite a while. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, guys/gals

Last edited by Technetium; 01-15-19 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 08:58 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Id drain and refill the transmission with Toyota fluid. Mine is 2004 with 205k miles but checked the carfax service record and it says transmission fluid was changed at 179k. I guess I dont have to worry about it for a while considering those are lifetime automatic fluid. Mine shifts very smooth all the time and no hiccup at all maybe because of 2nd service was done recently.
Old 01-15-19, 09:05 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

I believe Lexus calls for 90k service interval for automatic transmission fluid. Id just drain and refill it with fresh fluid and figure you will be fine.
Old 01-16-19, 05:46 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't have any issues right now, just do a few drain and fills using Toyota Type T-IV ATF with each oil change or more frequently if you'd like. Remember to replace the crush washer each time.

With these cars going 250k+ miles routinely, I see no need for additives or conditioners. Maybe add a trans cooler, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 01-16-19, 07:59 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RVAGS400
If you don't have any issues right now, just do a few drain and fills using Toyota Type T-IV ATF with each oil change or more frequently if you'd like. Remember to replace the crush washer each time.

With these cars going 250k+ miles routinely, I see no need for additives or conditioners. Maybe add a trans cooler, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I agree, if it isn't broke don't mess with it. I did a drain and fill of my transmission fluid at 100k about 10 years ago but I really didn't notice any difference. Haven't changed it since. I still check it regularly, though, and it still looks good after all this time. Currently I'm at 232k and have no plans of messing with it.

Old 01-16-19, 01:39 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the fluid. If it's dark and dirty, start doing drain and fills. I've been doing ~2qts every oil change. Mine was black when I started so I did about 4 or 5 drain and fills back to back until it started turning less black and more red. Full trans flushes are NOT advised.
There is a lot of info on this, search and ye shall find.
Old 01-17-19, 10:29 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I can tell you what does kill these trannys, not changing the fluid and driving them hard. Mine was neglected pretty bad by its previous owners (which I didn't discover until I really started digging into it), the trans fluid was mostly brown before I changed it all out, and with my pressure dial turned to max, it shifts about as firmly as a properly-maintained GS on the stock pressure setting. Before I dialed it up I couldn't even feel the gear changes and it still sometimes slips a little when cold.

Change your fluid and be nice to it, and it'll last you just fine. These Aisin boxes are fantastic units for their intended purposes.
Old 01-18-19, 06:41 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I agree, if it isn't broke don't mess with it. I did a drain and fill of my transmission fluid at 100k about 10 years ago but I really didn't notice any difference. Haven't changed it since. I still check it regularly, though, and it still looks good after all this time. Currently I'm at 232k and have no plans of messing with it.
OP, don't follow this advice. As everyone stated do a drain and fill periodically. I drain 3 quarts every 40k miles during an oil change. My fluid stays red:
Old 01-18-19, 06:43 AM
CochyGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs300maste
Id drain and refill the transmission with Toyota fluid. Mine is 2004 with 205k miles but checked the carfax service record and it says transmission fluid was changed at 179k. I guess I dont have to worry about it for a while considering those are lifetime automatic fluid. Mine shifts very smooth all the time and no hiccup at all maybe because of 2nd service was done recently.
lifetime fluid is only 90k to 100k miles. not an actual lifetime

Safe travels and Smooth shifting
Old 01-18-19, 06:49 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
OP, don't follow this advice. As everyone stated do a drain and fill periodically. I drain 3 quarts every 40k miles during an oil change. My fluid stays red:
I still check my fluid lol. OP, my car below...after 20 years I think it speaks for itself...I'm the original owner btw. Still drives like new!

Old 01-18-19, 06:53 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I still check my fluid lol. OP, my car below...after 20 years I think it speaks for itself...I'm the original owner btw. Still drives like new!

But he asked about PROPER transmission care. Would you consider your advice as proper tranny care? Showing a clean photo of your car doesn't negate the bad advice nor proves your tranny is in good condition.
Old 01-18-19, 02:28 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I do with my lexus, every 5k when I do oil changes, I usually drain a qt or more of trans fluid, then re fill.

You dont want to drain whole thing, bc if it has never been changed, it is bad for the transmission bc you will be loosing parts of the trans when you flush it and can lead to a bad trans.

I would just do the drain and refills. like n1ck suggested, maybe drain 1 qt every oil change or maybe 2 qt, that will make sure your trans last much longer.
Old 01-18-19, 09:44 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Yeah I was aware of the service intervals. Mine has dipstick and when I check, its bright red and smells fine every time. Im just gonna follow the Lexus dealer maintenance schedule. I mean I bought the car with 200k everything works and the car was sold to me by its original owner who is mid aged lady. Every single services were done by Lexus dealership according to their schedule only. She religiously followed the dealer schedules on clock until selling her car and no extra works were done to this car other than that. It drives fine as is. Maybe ppl are too cautious with their Lexus? I really dont know the truth. This is my first Lexus and I honestly havent owned the car long enough like other forum members on here. So far Ive replaced OCV filter that fixed my idling issue I was having and cleaned out the throttle body and MAF myself as well while at it.

Last edited by Gs300maste; 01-18-19 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 12:10 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

@op why was the engine swapped out, these 2jz are robust
Old 01-19-19, 10:03 PM
MOAWINGS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
@op why was the engine swapped out, these 2jz are robust
Usually when somebody is swapping out a stock 2JZ it's because it got starved of oil in some fashion.

Quick Reply: Proper Transmission Care