Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe can be unlocked and started with a fingerprint

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe can be unlocked and started with a fingerprint

Technology displayed in China

Hyundai has unveiled a system that lets drivers unlock and start a vehicle using their fingerprints. The tech is built into the door handle and ignition button of the new 2019 Santa Fe SUV, showcased at an auto show in China last week.

Multiple owners will be able to register their encrypted fingerprint data for the same vehicle, according to the South Korean automaker. And, depending on the person, the car will then automatically adjust seat positions and the angle of the rearview mirrors. A future update could also allow the biometric system to add personalized temperature, humidity, and steering settings, Hyundai said. For now, the company is planing to limit the feature to China upon its launch in the first quarter of 2019.

The original report on the feature in the Korea Herald says users can unlock or start the car "without keys," but it's unclear whether that means it can be used in complete absence of the car's key fob.

The fingerprint sensor uses human capacitance to pull off the trick, differentiating between the electricity levels in different parts of the finger to prevent hacking or faked fingerprints. Hyundai said the system — which receives your encrypted fingerprint data from the touch sensor in the handle before unlocking the car — has an error rate of 1 in 50,000. (That's the same figure touted by Apple for its Touch ID tech for iPhones, iPads and select MacBooks.)

The Santa Fe's other tech includes a rear occupant alert system, which uses ultrasonic sensors to detect the movements of children in the back to avoid anyone being left behind. The car also comes equipped with Chinese internet giant Baidu's voice recognition system and a wireless phone charger.

This isn't the first time fingerprints have been used to start cars, but the unlocking tech has never before been baked in to a vehicle's door handle. Tesla Model 3 owners are also already using their smartphone as a car keywhile the rest of the industry (including Hyundai) is busy building a virtual smartphone key standard that could popularize the tech. Elsewhere, Hertz recently brought biometric data to car rentals at Atlanta International Airport.
Source
Old 12-18-18, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So much for gloves.
Old 12-18-18, 06:26 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Interesting...but will not be ideal. I have a pretty thorough understanding of biometrics being used for identification - fingerprint is convenient (not as convenient as facial recognition) but has lots of drawbacks. Try using your fingerprint to unlock your phone after using hand sanitizer, lotion, washing your hands and having them not bone-dry, etc. Sounds cooler than it will be. Accuracy level quoted is accurate, mainly because it is looking for a 1:1 match of what is registered vs. a 1:many (aka 1:N) match which is what you'll start seeing in the near future for true facial recognition on a massive scale (ex: facial recognition of a person of interest who boarded a flight and is then "seen" on camera in a major city).

IMO the better technology mentioned here is the tech for trying to make sure a pet or baby is not left in the car.
Old 12-18-18, 07:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So much for gloves.
Ha--great point.

Considering at least 2x per day, my iPhone doesn't accept my fingerprint, and I have to enter my unlock code, I'm going to be less than eager to have this tech to unlock/start my car.
Old 12-18-18, 07:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

There is definitely a fair bit of "Can we do this? Yes we can!" attitude in getting this technology into a mass-market vehicle (some engineers just want to play with the newest toys).

How much of the impetus for this was due to the need for greater security? There seem to be an ever-increasing number of stories about how easy it is now to intercept and boost the keyfob signal in order to steal cars with modern keyless ignition systems. We were recently warned not to keep keyfobs near the front door of the house, where it is quite close to the car in the driveway, and close enough for a smart thief to intercept and boost the always-on radio transmitter in the keyfob.

I am waiting for the latest, back-to-the-future security device for car ignitions -- a key. Give me a real ignition key.
Old 12-18-18, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am waiting for the latest, back-to-the-future security device for car ignitions -- a key. Give me a real ignition key.
......and a small can of 3-in-One Oil to keep the lock-cylinders lubed.
Old 01-02-19, 11:32 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On the surface, this does seem a bit safer and more secure than the traditional key fob. But I don't think its that much safer. Its pretty easy to swipe a finger print - with the right know how.

But - my problem isn't the security of this feature - its the function of it. I have used fingerprint scanner on iPhone since its launch. While the iPhone's fingerprint scanner is pretty good, it doesn't work when your hands are wet or dry. It doesn't work with gloves or even thin gloves. It also doesn't work if you use lotion on your hands or if your hands are greasy from food. There is tons and tons of variables that stop fingerprint reader from reading it and for a phone - that's fine.
For a car - this can be a bigger issue. I can see this problem happening for cars as well.
IE: People that live in areas that are cold or during winter seasons will have tons of issues with this technology. You'll likely be stuck in the snow or rain figuring out how to open the car door.
IE: Imagine its below freezing point in Chicago and you have to take off your gloves to unlock your car. Imagine that happening and you still can't open your car door because your hands are dry and cracked from the cold weather.

I'm sorry Hyundai - but this will never catch on. I feel like this is a gimmick. They wanted to introduce it on a mass produce vehicle to draw hype to their brand.
Old 01-02-19, 11:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting, seems Hyundai is following smart phone trends. I don't see this is as a good or bad thing just continued evolution to smart cars just like smart phones. Time will tell how it's accepted and performs.
Old 01-02-19, 11:49 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Interesting, seems Hyundai is following smart phone trends. I don't see this is as a good or bad thing just continued evolution to smart cars just like smart phones. Time will tell how it's accepted and performs.
Definitely needs more time to see if it gets accepted as mass market. I think the only way for it to be accepted is if a car company (or Hyundai) solve the functionality aspect of it. If the door handle and push start can read your hands wet, dry, cracked, lotioned, and etc..., then they have a winner. What I'm saying is - they need a 100% weather proof tech.
Old 01-02-19, 12:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

This is pretty nifty to be honest. I wonder how easy it would be to spoof this.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
fingerprint is convenient (not as convenient as facial recognition) but has lots of drawbacks.
Next: facial recognition. So much for scarves...

I think maybe auto makers just don't want cars to be driven by people who live in cold climates.
Old 01-02-19, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think maybe auto makers just don't want cars to be driven by people who live in cold climates.
not an issue longer term... it will be able to tell by the way the driver walks and other characteristics (height, build, posture, smell )...

Old 01-02-19, 04:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Imagine trying to get into your car with the fingerprint door handle during a snowy weather.
Step 1: Wipe off the snow/ice off the fingerprint scanner.
Step 2: Take off your gloves.
Step 3: Gloves are off only to realize your hands are dried out from the cold weather.
Step 4: Spend the next minute trying to scan your fingerprint.
Step 5: You have been locked out of your car for 236561 hours for too many failed attempts.
Old 01-02-19, 04:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^ haha... it's not great with big gloves on even with a key fob, but i doubt hyundai will make the fingerprint sensor the ONLY way to get into the car.
Old 01-02-19, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i doubt hyundai will make the fingerprint sensor the ONLY way to get into the car.
Same as all the other manufacturers LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-19 at 06:38 PM.