Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.

This might (?) be old news to some of you, but Ford has announced that they will make a Lexus LS460-style Automatic-Parallel-Parking system available on some 90% of its present and future models.....including the new Focus which will be released later this year. I noticed the system being hyped-up on the latest Focus TV commercials (with videos of the system in action), but, oddly, I couldn't find it on Ford's regular vehicle-website. Media.Ford.com, though, had a good write-up on it, which I'll share:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29625

http://www.youtube.com/v/xW-MhoLImqg

Active park assist helps drivers parallel park with the touch of a button and without ever touching the steering wheel. Active park assist uses ultrasonic-based sensing system and electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) to steer the vehicle into a parking spot – EPAS also improves fuel economy up to 5 percent, while reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing performance, compared with traditional steering. Launched in mid-2009, the innovative technology is available very affordably on the Ford Focus, Explorer, Escape, Flex, Lincoln MKS and Lincoln MKT.

WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 26, 2011 – The often stressful and frustrating task of parallel parking can now be as easy as pressing a button, thanks to an exclusive technology from Ford called active park assist.

The innovative technology – an affordable option on the Ford Focus, Explorer, Escape, Flex, Lincoln MKS and Lincoln MKT – uses an ultrasonic-based sensing system and electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) to position the vehicle for parallel parking, calculate the optimal steering angle and quickly steer the vehicle into a parking spot.

“With the touch of a button, drivers can parallel park quickly, easily and safely without ever touching the steering wheel,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development. “This is another example of exclusive Ford technology that makes the driving experience easier and more enjoyable for customers.”

Active park assist uses sensors on the front and rear of the vehicle to guide the vehicle into a parking space. The technology is a major leap forward in speed and ease of use compared with the camera-reliant systems offered by competitors, including a video camera-based system offered by Lexus. Ford’s system requires less driver interface and reduces the risk of selecting a parking spot that is too tight. Ford’s active park assist also works in downhill parking situations, unlike competing systems.

How active park assist works:

The driver activates the system by pressing an instrument panel button, which activates the ultrasonic sensors to measure and identify a feasible parallel parking space. The system then prompts the driver to accept the system assistance to park. The steering system then takes over and steers the car into the parking space hands-free. The driver still shifts the transmission and operates the gas and brake pedals. A visual and/or audible driver interface advises the driver about the proximity of other cars, objects and people and provides instructions. While the steering is all done automatically, the driver remains responsible for safe parking and can interrupt the system by grasping the steering wheel.

Active park assist is enabled by Ford’s advanced EPAS technology. In addition to helping with parallel parking, EPAS improves fuel economy up to 5 percent, while reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing steering performance compared with traditional hydraulic power-assisted steering systems. EPAS saves fuel primarily because the steering system is powered by an electric motor connected to the vehicle’s battery, as opposed to engine-mounted hydraulic pump steering systems.

By 2012, Ford plans to fit nearly 90 percent of the Ford and Lincoln lineup with EPAS.

“As we use advanced technology to improve the fuel efficiency across our vehicle lineup, we have the opportunity to introduce new comfort and convenience innovations like active park assist,” said Ali Jammoul, Ford’s chief engineer for chassis engineering and steering systems. “This is technology not for the sake of technology, but one designed to meet the needs and wants of customers.”

As Ford introduces EPAS in more vehicles, it will be able to offer active park assist in more models as well. In addition, Ford is working on using EPAS and other sensors for other smart technologies, including one that could prevent a vehicle from drifting out of its lane on the highway.

Active park assist works in tandem with other technologies, including Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) and cross-traffic alert. BLIS employs a sensor on the outboard rear quarter panel that monitors the traditional blind spot area, and can notify the driver with a warning indicator light in the corresponding sideview mirror if the sensors in this optional system detect a vehicle in the blind spot. Cross-traffic alert uses BLIS sensors to help detect cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.

EPAS also improves fuel economy up to
5 percent, while reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing performance, compared with traditional steering.
I can understand (maybe) a very slight improvement in fuel-usage and emissions by not running the engine as much while moving back-and-forth several times trying to align the car perfectly, but 5%? And just how this "enhances performance" beats me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 08:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's good. If Ford pushes for this and it works, it could mean more and more car manufacturers put this technology in cars. It'd be kind of cool to see it as standardized as an Aux Input That may be asking for too much tho
Old 03-26-11, 08:58 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I like park assist. I have parked the LS460 with this, seemed too sensitive, slow, not saying its all bad, just more stuff to go wrong. I think your average driver will have problems with this. Just like a smart phone, something you have spend time with.
Old 03-27-11, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Timothyj
Not sure I like park assist. I have parked the LS460 with this, seemed too sensitive, slow, not saying its all bad, just more stuff to go wrong. I think your average driver will have problems with this. Just like a smart phone, something you have spend time with.
Based on the way the Lexus rep showed me how to program it in the LS, it seems rather complex to set up, too.
Old 03-27-11, 12:42 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought it was a pretty silly feature on the LS, so I certainly feel the same here. Just more stuff to bloat up cars and make them more expensive - a bad trend in the auto industry these days.
Old 03-27-11, 12:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

exclusive ford technology eh? :-)
Old 03-27-11, 12:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For me, it's one of those NICE to have but not NEED to have. I'd never pay extra for the feature on a car.
Old 03-27-11, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
exclusive ford technology eh? :-)
article says it's exclusive because it uses ultrasonic and not video, works faster and works down hill also.
Old 03-27-11, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
article says it's exclusive because it uses ultrasonic and not video, works faster and works down hill also.
Toyota system uses ultrasonic sensors too to detects obstacles, video is used to position the vehicle.

"Exclusive" because it is questionably faster? It is just deceiving PR piece from Ford, trying to reinvent themselves.
Old 03-27-11, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For me, it's one of those NICE to have but not NEED to have. I'd never pay extra for the feature on a car.
I liked the feature in Prius... at least in European Prius, it was quick, very quick... actually quick to the point of being a bit scary... it also had me fitted into the tight spot, i went outside of the car to make sure my front wont rub anywhere, it was only several inches from the other vehicle :-).

Would I pay for it? If they charge $3k for the Navi + ML, why wouldnt I pay $500 for parking guidance system that will probably come in the future standard when you order parking sensors front and back and back camera.
Old 03-27-11, 03:25 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to tell you the truth, i cant remember the last time i had to parallel park.
Old 03-27-11, 10:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Based on the way the Lexus rep showed me how to program it in the LS, it seems rather complex to set up, too.
The updated system on the Prius has a "Pre-Support" function that speeds up the process. In the LS, I believe the driver has to the position the car correctly to ensure a green box (and thus minimising the amount of arrow-pushing to adjust the box). In the Prius, you simply press the Pre-Support button and the car will scan the spot and tell you where to stop. You stop, shift into Reverse and confirm that the box is in the right place.

The Pre-Support works for both parallel and reverse-stall parking.

I can understand (maybe) a very slight improvement in fuel-usage and emissions by not running the engine as much while moving back-and-forth several times trying to align the car perfectly, but 5%? And just how this "enhances performance" beats me.
I think they're referring to the electric power steering system and not the park assist in that statement.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota system uses ultrasonic sensors too to detects obstacles, video is used to position the vehicle.

"Exclusive" because it is questionably faster? It is just deceiving PR piece from Ford, trying to reinvent themselves.
From reading the article, I get a sense that the Ford uses ultrasonic sensors to park the vehicle (i.e. reverse and clearance sensors). Toyota only uses sensors to determine the parking spot. The camera is used to guide the vehicle in.
Old 03-28-11, 08:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Active park assist is enabled by Ford’s advanced EPAS technology. In addition to helping with parallel parking, EPAS improves fuel economy up to 5 percent, while reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing steering performance compared with traditional hydraulic power-assisted steering systems. EPAS saves fuel primarily because the steering system is powered by an electric motor connected to the vehicle’s battery, as opposed to engine-mounted hydraulic pump steering systems.
Originally Posted by Nextourer
I think they're referring to the electric power steering system and not the park assist in that statement.
EPAS = Electric power-assisted steering

Originally Posted by lamar411
to tell you the truth, i cant remember the last time i had to parallel park.
Parallel parking is mostly used for on-street parking. Parking lots and parking garages -- which is likely much more prevalent now, even in downtown areas -- use stall parking, perpendicular to the direction of traffic flow.

The Pre-Support works for both parallel and reverse-stall parking.
Does Ford's active park assist system work for reverse-stall parking, as Toyota's Pre-Support system does?
Old 03-28-11, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
EPAS = Electric power-assisted steering.
Good catch, guys. I think you're correct. .....I didn't get the connection there, at first. Yes, electric power steering does improve fuel economy, (though only slightly.....I'm not sure about the claimed 5%), and needs less-maintenance. But, in my experience, depending on the unit, it sometimes impacts on steering-effort, and gives the steering a numb, dentist-novocaine feel.
Old 03-28-11, 09:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Exactly,Bob.
Ford should go with NAV standard over park assist.

Quick Reply: Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.