re-installing cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 09:08 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-installing cams

hi, im in desperate need of help.

im re-installing the LH cams back on my 01 ls430, i have the book and it says the 2 dots got to be lined (where both cams touch each other) when i get them to that point i checked the timing mark on the timing gear and it doesnt points to the timing mark, so my question is:

can i just install the cams like its described in the book and after that just rotate the timing gear to the timing mark?

i apologize for my bad grammar, English isn't my first language, thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-18, 09:40 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Install the cams with the 2 dots on the back lined up. When the caps have all been installed and torqued, remove the service bolt in the cam gears. Then rotate the exhaust cam with a large wrench near the back of the cam until the front timing mark is in the correct place. You shouldn't have to move it far but go slowly and stop if you feel any resistance. If you rotated the cams to line up the dots to remove them, go the opposite way.
Old 12-18-18, 09:48 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
Install the cams with the 2 dots on the back lined up. When the caps have all been installed and torqued, remove the service bolt in the cam gears. Then rotate the exhaust cam with a large wrench near the back of the cam until the front timing mark is in the correct place. You shouldn't have to move it far but go slowly and stop if you feel any resistance. If you rotated the cams to line up the dots to remove them, go the opposite way.
Thanks for replying, the timing mark on the timing gear is pretty much in the bottom (while the mark on the engine is in the top) so I would need to rotate the gear 180° degrees, I'll try to do that and like you said I'll stop if any resistance occurs, thanks.
Old 12-18-18, 10:02 AM
911LE
Instructor

I remember when I reinstalled my cams after I did my head gaskets. It seemed like I had to move them much further upon reassembly that I did when I disassembled everything. When you rotate the cams you will feel resistance from the valve springs. This is normal. If the cams come to a hard stop this is a valve touching a piston and you should rotate the other way.
Old 12-18-18, 10:17 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

I remember when I reinstalled my cams after I did my head gaskets. It seemed like I had to move them much further upon reassembly that I did when I disassembled everything. When you rotate the cams you will feel resistance from the valve springs. This is normal. If the cams come to a hard stop this is a valve touching a piston and you should rotate the other way.
Ill do it like that, my concern was: when I removed the cams the timing gear mark was lined up with the timing mark on the engine and the 1 dot marks on the cam gears where right in the middle (where the 2 dots need to be to re-install them) but I'll try what you suggested and we will see. Thanks so much you are saving me
Old 12-18-18, 10:45 AM
911LE
Instructor

I had the same concerns as I didn't have to rotate the cams to line up the 2 dots to remove them. Reassembly I had to move them quite a bit. I think it may have something to do with the vvt as we removed the oil and the solenoid and reset the system to zero. As long as the 2 dots line up upon reassembly, then the timing belt marks line up after rotation you'll be ok. Just make sure to rotate the engine by hand after you reinstall the timing belt to verify there is no piston to valve contact and the timing marks on the front line up after a few revolutions. I know I was really nervous when I first turned the key to start the car after reassembly!
Old 12-18-18, 10:56 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

I had the same concerns as I didn't have to rotate the cams to line up the 2 dots to remove them. Reassembly I had to move them quite a bit. I think it may have something to do with the vvt as we removed the oil and the solenoid and reset the system to zero. As long as the 2 dots line up upon reassembly, then the timing belt marks line up after rotation you'll be ok. Just make sure to rotate the engine by hand after you reinstall the timing belt to verify there is no piston to valve contact and the timing marks on the front line up after a few revolutions. I know I was really nervous when I first turned the key to start the car after reassembly!
Im nervous too, this is my only car don't wanna break it lol
Old 12-18-18, 11:44 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

Well I got everything put together, rotated the cams and it moved without any major resistance, I will install the new timing belt and rotate the engine to make sure it's ok like you suggested, thanks a lot for all the help will update once the timing belt is done 🙂
Old 12-20-18, 05:56 AM
capb2k3
Driver School Candidate

Well I got the cams and timing belt, rotated the engine a few turn and everything seems to be good, I'll finish everything else today let you know how it goes 🙂