GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2018 Liq Plat/Rioja Red or Obsidian/Flaxen

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 06:22 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 945 Likes on 580 Posts
Default 2018 Liq Plat/Rioja Red or Obsidian/Flaxen

Both F Sport, ML, Power Trunk and IPA. Which would you choose and why?

I went in to the dealer tonight to see what the red leather looked like in person, and somehow I dropped a down payment and just about committed to the purchase. I can still walk, but with the limited inventory of 18's and the incentives right now, I think it makes sense to buy right now. I intend to keep this for 12-15 years so I need to make the right choice now, so I don't spend years telling myself that I could have made a better choice. I know it's ultimately what I like and ultimately my decision, but I find hearing feedback from others to be helpful.

Black is a classic color that will age nicely and always looks best when clean. But that's the rub, it stays clean for only about 16 minutes after washing. And it shows every swirl mark and water spot. High maintenance color that's often worth it.
Liq Plat is another classic color that looks awesome, especially when clean. It hides water spots and swirls really well. The color ages well but is not as classic as Obsidian. Low maintenance color that always looks good.

Red interior... I like but don't love. Will I still love it in 7-8 years or am I going to wish I had something more mainstream?
Flaxen... Flaxen and Black is an AWESOME combination, looks rich and luxurious and CLASSIC.

In South Florida, Obsidian can be brutal, especially when parked outside in the sun all day.

I think I need to have the dealer park these bad boys next to each other and then compare again...

What do you guys think about the choices?
Old 09-17-18, 07:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee

I went in to the dealer tonight to see what the red leather looked like in person, and somehow I dropped a down payment and just about committed to the purchase. I can still walk, but with the limited inventory of 18's and the incentives right now, I think it makes sense to buy right now. I intend to keep this for 12-15 years so I need to make the right choice now, so I don't spend years telling myself that I could have made a better choice. I know it's ultimately what I like and ultimately my decision, but I find hearing feedback from others to be helpful.

Black is a classic color that will age nicely and always looks best when clean. But that's the rub, it stays clean for only about 16 minutes after washing. And it shows every swirl mark and water spot. High maintenance color that's often worth it.
Liq Plat is another classic color that looks awesome, especially when clean. It hides water spots and swirls really well. The color ages well but is not as classic as Obsidian. Low maintenance color that always looks good.

Red interior... I like but don't love. Will I still love it in 7-8 years or am I going to wish I had something more mainstream?
Flaxen... Flaxen and Black is an AWESOME combination, looks rich and luxurious and CLASSIC.

In South Florida, Obsidian can be brutal, especially when parked outside in the sun all day.

I think I need to have the dealer park these bad boys next to each other and then compare again...

You intend to keep this car for 12-15 years? Ummm.

Well, I think you'll get really tired of that red interior long before 12-15 years - I'll give it 2-3 years at most. And, the black exterior will wear your *** out and [still] look really bad long before 12-15 years - I'll give it less than a year before it drives you crazy and 2-3 years before it looks like crap...unless you've spent hundreds of hours and/or thousands of dollars on it.

You asked!!!
Old 09-17-18, 07:24 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They both are nice. I personally wish my GS had red interior, but i think it’s up to personal preference. I think the Liquid Platnum is more forgiving to swirls, scratches, etc - but if you take care of the Obsidian (I.e wash it yourself) it will last as well. As far as the interior, I would say it depends on your current age and personality. If your under 40, the red might be awesome now, but by the time you are 50, you might want less sport and more of a dignified look, but by then you will probably have your eyes on a LS anyway. But you said it yourself ... you like but don’t love the red so you answered your own question. They both are sexy AF, but your the one riding around the inside of it. 🙂
Old 09-17-18, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched, or dinged black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for only 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be helped. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree where birds are known to perch only once. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy that black car!
Old 09-17-18, 07:47 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
You intend to keep this car for 12-15 years? Ummm.

Well, I think you'll get really tired of that red interior long before 12-15 years - I'll give it 2-3 years at most. And, the black exterior will wear your *** out and [still] look really bad long before 12-15 years - I'll give it less than a year before it drives you crazy and 2-3 years before it looks like crap...unless you've spent hundreds of hours and/or thousands of dollars on it.

You asked!!!
Being garage-kept does help preserve the condition of both the exterior and interior.

Originally Posted by bclexus
There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched, or dinged black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for only 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be helped. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree where birds are known to perch only once. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy that black car!
I have to hand it to you bc... I'm never been so saddened, and at the same time amused, realizing both my choices put me in a lose-lose situation... red interior will irritate me as I age... Black exterior will irritate me for as long as I own the car.
I have a 2002 Silver Sequoia that still looks pretty good even though it was last waxed more than a year ago, and last washed about 4 weeks ago. And my wife's black Taurus looks good after a rainfall, but crappy every other time. So I KNOW I should get silver, but I really like that Flaxen leather.

And it's killing me that there's not additional inventory... I've got to lease now, or settle for a 2015/2016.
Old 09-17-18, 07:53 PM
chinee
Racer

Maybe these are the questions I should have asked:

Who regrets their decision to choose a Rioja Red interior?

Who regrets their decision to choose Obsidian?
Old 09-17-18, 08:23 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe these are the questions I should have asked:

Who regrets their decision to choose a Rioja Red interior?

Who regrets their decision to choose Obsidian?
why limit yourself? The gs has yet to go down in incentives this year and they can always trade with another dealer. They may give you an additional 1k to buy what they have but not a significant amount to compromise in my opinion. If anything make them give You the same discounts (at least 5k before incentives) to custom order what You want and if they truely are discountinue the gs/ it goes to my19 then your order won’t go through
Old 09-18-18, 06:11 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

I would vote Black on Flaxen. The Flaxen leather looks sporty and luxurious at the same time. Red (to me) only looks sporty and will not age as well...The best combo based on what you mentioned about the colors might actually be Liquid Platinum or Atomic Silver on Flaxen.

If I had to buy another 4GS, i'd get it in Atomic Silver on Flaxen.

Last edited by AJLex19; 09-18-18 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 06:27 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 247 Likes on 128 Posts

I would go with the Liquid Platinum/Rioja Red.. The black Exterior will drive you crazy..like all have said nothing sexier than a CLEAN Black car..but also nothing looks worst than a dirty black car and in South Florida keeping it clean is going to be hell.. I would have suggested Ultra Sonic Blue with Roija Red which Lexus of Plam Beach had one last week but it looks like it sold quickly..
Old 09-18-18, 07:59 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I have an Obsidian and man, let me tell you. The amount of dust that shows up right after a wash is unbelievable. I dust every single day and you can't even tell by the next, and this is garage parked too. On top of that, scuff marks and swirls show a lot. It does get really hot, even with tinted windows.

Do I regret it? Not really. I mean having to wash so often is minor nuisance, but when it's clean, it's beautiful.
Old 09-18-18, 08:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I would go with Liquid Platinum. I've owned one black car and that was enough.
Old 09-18-18, 10:29 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
I would have suggested Ultra Sonic Blue with Roija Red which Lexus of Plam Beach had one last week but it looks like it sold quickly..
Yep, went to take a look at it yesterday and it was gone...
Old 09-18-18, 10:29 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If I had to buy another 4GS, i'd get it in Atomic Silver on Flaxen.
Agreed, but I can't find Atomic Silver anywhere close to me...
Old 09-18-18, 10:33 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by dphu626
I have an Obsidian and man, let me tell you. The amount of dust that shows up right after a wash is unbelievable. I dust every single day and you can't even tell by the next, and this is garage parked too. On top of that, scuff marks and swirls show a lot. It does get really hot, even with tinted windows.

Do I regret it? Not really. I mean having to wash so often is minor nuisance, but when it's clean, it's beautiful.
Originally Posted by JDR76
I would go with Liquid Platinum. I've owned one black car and that was enough.
I find myself agreeing with you both... I've not felt this conflicted since the 2016 elections... no clear winners... sigh...
Old 09-18-18, 01:43 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 247 Likes on 128 Posts

Yep, went to take a look at it yesterday and it was gone...
Thats my #1 color combo, could not find one when I bought mine last year so had to settle for Ultra Sonic with Black..If you had gotten it I would have suggested a interior swap with you since you not a big fan of the Rioja Red..My wife has a Silver IS with the Roija Red and that color combo is also nice. I say go with the Silver.

Quick Reply: 2018 Liq Plat/Rioja Red or Obsidian/Flaxen