LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 01:39 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead Transmission??

I think I really fxckd up and I panicking right now.

I had my transmission fluid flushed at Toyota and now it's not shifting gears. I heard bad things could happen when you change auto trans fluid but I really thought it was overblown. VSC lights came on and the dealer diagnostic said the codes are P0771, P0796, P2714.

I cant afford a new transmission. I'm gonna try to get to Lexus tomorrow or Monday and see what they may know.

Can somebody give me some info. Possibly some hope I'm really cant afford this. The car has been perfect until now.
Old 09-15-18, 03:58 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

How many miles on the car? What is the Toyota dealer saying about it? Did they properly fill it? Does it drive? How far were you from the dealer when you noticed it? All of those codes say a solenoid is bad or stuck. Unbelievable to happen all at once.

Could it possibly be a fuse(s)

Last edited by mdpresco; 09-15-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 04:21 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

No, you didn't screw it up...the dealer did, if it's screwed up.

However, we definitely need more information.
Old 09-15-18, 04:43 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

The car has 143k miles.

The car drove perfectly up until then. I got the car afterwards and it started in a high gear. I took it back after 15mins of it not shifting. They drove the car to see and said it drove fine then 30sec later the VSC light comes on. I take it back and they spent 20mins resetting the lights. I drove back home (5miles) and the car didn't shift and the light came back on.

They said I can bring the car back but the guy made it sound like cause the fluid was flushed if something happens than there is nothing they can do.

I really cant imagine how this could have happened. Thinking worse case scenario that my trans fluid was that dirty where 3 solenoids fail seems crazy.

Should I call corporate?
Old 09-15-18, 05:52 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Was it a BG flush machine and were you charged for BG cleaner and or additive? If so BG owes you a transmission repair. They guarantee no problems will occur. Also maybe they under or over filled it. If you go to a Lexus dealer they will probably charge you to check the fluid level first off. Maybe get the Toyota shop to have a guy who really knows what he is doing recheck your fluid level first on their dime.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 09-15-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 06:24 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NSIGHT
The car has 143k miles.

The car drove perfectly up until then. I got the car afterwards and it started in a high gear. I took it back after 15mins of it not shifting. They drove the car to see and said it drove fine then 30sec later the VSC light comes on. I take it back and they spent 20mins resetting the lights. I drove back home (5miles) and the car didn't shift and the light came back on.

They said I can bring the car back but the guy made it sound like cause the fluid was flushed if something happens than there is nothing they can do.

I really cant imagine how this could have happened. Thinking worse case scenario that my trans fluid was that dirty where 3 solenoids fail seems crazy.

Should I call corporate?
------
Was it an authorized Toyota dealer (i.e., a real Toyota dealer service center)? Several Toyota vehicles have the same transmission fluid replacement procedure as LS460, which is to drain and refill. I'm a bit surprised that a Toyota dealer service center flushed a high-mileage car's transmission instead of following Toyota's transmission maintenance procedure.
-------
Old 09-15-18, 09:16 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Was it a BG flush machine and were you charged for BG cleaner and or additive? If so BG owes you a transmission repair. They guarantee no problems will occur. Also maybe they under or over filled it. If you go to a Lexus dealer they will probably charge you to check the fluid level first off. Maybe get the Toyota shop to have a guy who really knows what he is doing recheck your fluid level first on their dime.
Can you explain how BG would be liable?

Old 09-15-18, 09:20 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
------
Was it an authorized Toyota dealer (i.e., a real Toyota dealer service center)? Several Toyota vehicles have the same transmission fluid replacement procedure as LS460, which is to drain and refill. I'm a bit surprised that a Toyota dealer service center flushed a high-mileage car's transmission instead of following Toyota's transmission maintenance procedure.
-------

It was a service center. I did not get any push back when I requested the flush. They said they refilled with 12qts.
Old 09-15-18, 10:16 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

It was a service center. I did not get any push back when I requested the flush. They said they refilled with 12qts.
--------
Sorry to hear that the Toyota service center flushed your high-mileage LS640 instead of a drain and refill. I'd recommend that you work with the Toyota service center and see if they could examine what's wrong. Before returning to the Toyota service center, you may disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes to clear the learned transmission behavior and reset the code, and see if it will restore the transmission's normal function.
------
Old 09-16-18, 04:52 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

I pulled the battery ground. And test drive 10mins

I everything was fine! Shifted up and down all 8 gears.
Now I'm peeved that the dealer didn't think to reset the TCU. That seems so obvious but its whatever.

I'll put some more miles today or tomorrow and update.
Old 09-16-18, 05:38 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow that is a fortunate turn of events! Hope it keeps working well. I know the techstream procedure is lengthy when doing a flush (I had one done at a Toyota dealer), maybe they cut some corners? Not sure I'd even let them near my car again after that though.
Old 09-16-18, 07:44 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Wow that is a fortunate turn of events! Hope it keeps working well. I know the techstream procedure is lengthy when doing a flush (I had one done at a Toyota dealer), maybe they cut some corners? Not sure I'd even let them near my car again after that though.

Now that I'm calm I definitely think they might have cut a few corners or just been ignorant on the Lexus procedure. I just can't imagine how 3 solenoids would have completely failed. It didn't change gears at all like they were unplugged.
Old 09-16-18, 09:20 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Update. Car stopped shifting again. Pulled negative terminal for 5mins. Drove the car again. It shifted for a min or so than stopped shifting.

My friend that's a Nissan dealer tech said they could have under or overfilled it putting trans in limp mode.
Old 09-16-18, 09:25 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I would definitely get fluid levels checked by someone who knows the Lexus procedure.
Old 09-16-18, 03:08 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Update. Car stopped shifting again. Pulled negative terminal for 5mins. Drove the car again. It shifted for a min or so than stopped shifting.

My friend that's a Nissan dealer tech said they could have under or overfilled it putting trans in limp mode.
------
It looks that your transmission is mechanically fine since it shifted fine after you cleared the transmission's learned behavior. The Toyota service center should know how to check and set the transmission fluid level because several Toyota vehicles have the same procedure to check and set the transmission fluid level (with Techstream to unplug and plug the transmission overflow plug at the transmission internal temperature of 35-42 C). If you are handy, you can check and set the transmission fluid level by yourself, with or without Techstream. It is a relatively straightforward process.
----

Quick Reply: Dead Transmission??